What do you use as a landing/take off pad?

I really like the roll up picnic table. My idiot dogs hate the drone and run around barking at it when I take off and land so I'm afraid one day they'll get brave enough to attack it, the picnic table would prevent that!

Reactions: trevornewkirk
I would use marine ply, ideal for the job really. However I tend to go off the beaten track so to speak and want something thats very light and portable, something I can roll up. Hence the sheet of rubber. We will see if its any good or not. :)
Based on your needs I would say a bamboo sushi roller (Makisu)would be perfect for a Phantom, you would need something bigger if you have an Inspire or Matrice

I normally just use my car's mats when taking off places with grass, otherwise I'll just use my backpack. Landing is 100% hand-catch.

I somehow managed to lose one of the feet, but I made this so I always had a level and clean spot to take off and land.
landingpad1.JPG

landingpad2.JPG

Reactions: trevornewkirk
Just wondering if any of you have come up with a simple/clever takeoff/landing pad? I need one that folds up and I can stick in my rucksack. Seen the ones on flebay but I know people come up with simple but effective solutions to things like this/

Slab of leftover plywood in the garage. Cut a handle into it and added a helipad-north pad pattern.

Attachments

• LandPad.png
    LandPad.png
    703.7 KB · Views: 304
Reactions: macoman
Just wondering if any of you have come up with a simple/clever takeoff/landing pad? I need one that folds up and I can stick in my rucksack. Seen the ones on flebay but I know people come up with simple but effective solutions to things like this/
IDK.... after spending all that money... What is $10 including
shipping for a foldable landing pad with zipper cover.

Jerry

I found a really nifty one on line somewhere but can't remember where :confused: It was just like a photographers round reflector that folds up very small onto its own zippered cover, take it out and whoosh it expands into a nice circular landing/take off pad.

Just found it Reversible Apron Landing Pad Helipad for DJI Phantom 4 3 Mavic Pro Inspire1 Quad 110CM

I bought one of those .. while trying folding it, and before I even used it for real, the metal circle came apart -- one end sliced my hand, the other, pointed, end took a chunk out my eyebrow. Neither were serious injuries, but if the pointed end had been 1cm lower I'd have lost an eye. Best avoided ...

For takeoff I use a clean car mat, and I always hand catch it on landings.

Hand launching my Mavic is easy (although I prefer using a mat of some kind). But I haven't figured out how to hand catch it -- the catching is easy, but then how does one kill the props? Seems to need two hands on the controller ... :-(

Reactions: Frankc
Hand launching my Mavic is easy (although I prefer using a mat of some kind). But I haven't figured out how to hand catch it -- the catching is easy, but then how does one kill the props? Seems to need two hands on the controller ... :-(
Catch it just above your head, unless your hair and ears need a trim. Whilst holding the landing legs with the right hand pull back and hold back just the left stick. That will kill the props :)

Hope this helps.

Reactions: speleo
Catch it just above your head, unless your hair and ears need a trim. Whilst holding the landing legs with the right hand pull back and hold back just the left stick. That will kill the props :)

Hope this helps.

I'll give it a try -- thanks. My Mavic manual says I have to move both sticks together or apart to stop the props.

Reactions: Frankc
ahhhh I dont know about the Mavic, I have a Phantom 4 pro and it also worked on my Phantom 3 pro.

Here you go

Sure enough, if you look carefully his thumb pulls back the left stick; odd he doesn't mention that. The disable landing protection seems to be unnecessary, though, just keep your hand away from the downwards sensors...

Many thanks, again!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94