What Do You Guys Think of Amazon Prime Air Drone Delivery?

Re: What Do You Guys Think of Amazon Prime Air Drone Deliver

DHL have had to apply for restricted airspace to fly their drone in.

They have sole use of their airspace at certain times of the day, from the deck up to 100M. It's a seriously limited service, mainly over water and with pilots at both ends, plus a large ground control station with communication to air traffic control.

There is a video on our Intranet about it. I will try and break it free and post it on here.

noiseboy72 said:
DHL have had to apply for restricted airspace to fly their drone in.

They have sole use of their airspace at certain times of the day, from the deck up to 100M. It's a seriously limited service, mainly over water and with pilots at both ends, plus a large ground control station with communication to air traffic control.

There is a video on our Intranet about it. I will try and break it free and post it on here.

Even if it's limited it's the first step. No Alpha version of software ever looks or works great. But it's still a necessary step to get to Beta and release. Good on DHL for investing the time and money to open the door for the industry.

A pipe dream.
Until somebody figures out how to get 2 or more hours of flight time, and carry a hefty load doing it, it ain't gonna happen.
Even then, unless you live within the flight circle, how are they gonna deliver to you?

Hows it going to work ?
Like lets say I buy a $7 book.... the drone delivers it....
Sure my $7 book is great, but perhaps I rather keep the $$$$ drone :p

Or the drone delivers the book while cutting my poor pooch spot to bloody bits.

Just seems like its going to end badly when little Timmy looses a finger :/

justin00 said:
Hows it going to work ?

The current delivery drone that google has developed looks more like a plane than a mulitrotor. It is capable of vertical flight and hovering, and flies quite fast. Not sure of flight times. It doesn't land, but lowers your package via a tether and releases it.

Amazon has stated that they will have a 5 lb payload limit (80% of their orders) and delivery will only be in select markets, and will be to homes within a 15 mile radius of the Fulfillment Centers.

justin00 said:
Hows it going to work ?

I imagine the same way it would work if you decided to keep the FedEx, UPS, or USPS driver or delivery truck.

justin00 said:
Hows it going to work ?

The same Timmy that Lassie keeps getting rescued after falling into the well??? That poor bastid has no luck at all... :shock: :D

-slinger

Suwaneeguy said:
A pipe dream.
Until somebody figures out how to get 2 or more hours of flight time, and carry a hefty load doing it, it ain't gonna happen.
Even then, unless you live within the flight circle, how are they gonna deliver to you?

They'll ship it by another method. It's pretty simple, you live in a densely populated area, and you order something within the weight limit you'll receive it via drone. Amazon is ready to test this today. The tech is here, the regulatory environment is holding it back.

derrickduff said:
Suwaneeguy said:
A pipe dream.

They'll ship it by another method. It's pretty simple, you live in a densely populated area, and you order something within the weight limit you'll receive it via drone. Amazon is ready to test this today. The tech is here, the regulatory environment is holding it back.

Aren't they targeting more remote/rural areas?

For their research and testing they want to be in the middle of nowhere for obvious reasons. This won't work in rural areas unless there is a major breakthrough in battery technology or they move to fossil fuel motors.

Amazon has said that their drone delivery will only be available in limited urban markets. Previously I said delivery would be in a 15 mile radius of the fulfillment centers, but I think it is actually 5 miles.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl