What do you guys charge for aerial media?

Charge for photo and video editing. Who care what kind of camera it is. Or, what kind of balloon carries it.

I use State Farm for insurance. Both liability and a rider to replace it if I crash, fly away, etc.

Unedited video starts at $350 (I also include 12 photos in this package).

I will do BASIC video editing starting at $500.
I believe these represent very good starting level quotes. Less than that devalues the work - people believe they get what they pay for. And once you have a few under your belt you can up raise it to reflect your portfolio.

You also have to look at your client. If I'm doing oilfield where they (used to) have big budgets, I can get away with 2500 a day as it represents great value if they snag one buyer. If it's something smaller, I usually charge 800/day. That includes putting together a "presentation", taking some of the best shots and putting some royalty free music behind.

Ok, that is friggen insane what you just said.

You DO NOT ABSOLUTELY and I don't even know a lot about this myself need a Private Pilot's license to make money. I was honestly deferring to you even though we were discussing because I admittedly don't know a ton about this to have to strong of a conviction. If that were true, I'd be doing more telling then guessing and reading. However, the objective things we know can't be interpreted for the lone fact that they are objective and when you said a "pilot's license" it stuck me as weird because I thought to myself "if he knows so much about all this stuff why would he use such a broad term as pilots license when saying what you need when there are several types of licenses and that's what were discussing" which is why I asked the question, which one do you need? AND YOUR long drawn out, DUUUUDEE because you are so sick of dealing with this stupid laymen, please help me already was followed by the "...need a private license" and at that moment you showed yourself to me. You are just speaking and are not any more and possibly less knowledgeable about the people that are having the discussion that somehow bothers you but yet you keep commenting on (a internet forum thing that I've never understood, but back on track"

There are 6 types of licenses Sport, Recreational, Private. Commercial, Flight Instructor, and Airline Transport Pilot each with its own levels of rules, and things that need to be met to get.

A sports license is the easiest and pilots are required to stay under 10K and I could post all the other stuff but it doesn't matter, its plenty but 20 hours of training is the minimum.

A recreational license. Requires 30 hours of dual instruction. Rec pilots are limited to less than r50 nautical miles from their depart airport.

A Private license. Requires of 40 hours of actual flight time (the other two barely had any actual flight time, don't confuse flight time with 'instructional time') so on this one to obtain it, you really need to fly a lot more.

I could go on but the fact is you said that in order to make money with a UAS for commercial purposes you must hold a private pilot's license. I don't think anyone was even disputing that we need that license, it was a sport license or not. And to be honest, I have no idea. Don't claim to. Just reporting here.

Even after all that, maybe you're right. Maybe you need a Pilot's license. But still, you weren't using these terms with any authority, so you don't know any more that the rest of us, so stop getting annoyed because you think you do.

Please. :)

Thanks.

Adam

JFC dude, what is wrong with you. I've never seen somebody be so unbelievably confident in being so wrong in my entire life. You. Need. A. Pilot's. License.

So looking to jump into this as a side gig, I'm curios what you guys charge for this service. It's hard to do it on an "hourly" type rate. Because of battery limitations but no worries I do have 5. I plan to offer both photo and video services and just want to gather estimates so I know what to base off of.

...and I don't want to hear any mess about exemption 333 please stick to topic. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I did my first paying job this Monday, I also sent out numerous introduction letters to various prospective clients i.e...real estate, a surf shop, golf course and others. Included in this letter are my 333 exemption # and my 4 million insurance policy (Aggregate) (covering 8 different quads 1/5 mill. ea. ) Most companies will not even do business without that BASIC information. What I currently offer on the cheap is a CD with 10 images and a 5 minute video for $75. (If they want to add audio, extra images, longer video or any editing it will go up from there) I know these prices are low But I have to get clients in and talking. so I guess if you break it down it comes to $5. per photo and $25 for the video for 1/2 hr of work. the going rate is twice that from what I understand, However many people are getting Much more than even that. I wish them all the best.

Last edited:
Doing it as a "side gig" I would stay with rates below $25 per hour. I charge $25 per hour for still photos. Normally that's 1.5 - 2.5 hours on site and another 2-4 hours to edit and deliver the photos. The rate is the same regardless of the equipment I am using (aerial or ground). For most projects, I quote a flat rate based on the amount of time I know it will take. Commercial clients can afford to pay more.
I am a professional photographer and I can tell you that it is difficult to make much money doing only aerial photography. If you intend to make money doing it, I strongly suggest considering yourself a professional and advertising yourself as one. IMO it doesn't matter if it is your primary source of income.
If your clients view it as your hobby, they will treat you accordingly. They will low ball you. Sometimes they will expect you to work for free. They will cancel on you at the last minute. They won't call or text you back. They will be late. They will generally treat you like you're their friend and not like someone who is providing a valuable service.
Seriously. If you charge and are paid, do yourself a favor and take it up a notch. People will pay you for it. You may have to start out slow, but if your work is good, you WILL get paid for it.
If you would like to talk about it more, I would be happy to talk with you about photography work. I wish you the best of luck with it.
-Jeiel Shamblee
Owner and Photographer @ Jeicam Photography. www.jeicam.net

As far as what I charge. My day rate for 2 people is $1,500.00. I only charge for full days, there is a discount for repeat customers and multi day shoots. I have been in the Video Photography and Film business since the 70's.

In the past a heli shoot was a minimum of $7,000.00 a day for crew/heli and Tyler mount. I have done some for $4,000.00 a day w/o Tyler or Wescam rig.

So the new MRs are great for our customers. I charge the same for any shoot. If we need to do aerials, I have to file a NOTAM 24 hrs ahead of time. But otherwise it is like any other shoot. This is just how Westside A V studios www.westsideav.com price all our time based projects.

However most of our projects are contract based, we get a RFP and bid on it. Most of our projects take months and years even to finish.

Now bear in mind we pay over $4,000.00 a year in liability and equipment insurance. And yes we have a 333 and I am a GA Pilot with thousands of hrs in civil aircraft and helis. We have 5 MRs but we end up using our P3P most of the time. It is just so fantastic to fly and produces great results, even though I have some $10K dual control MRs.

We use aerials in a lot of our productions but they are usually only short establishing shots lasting a few seconds. They can be a great way to help tell the story, but they are never the main part of a production.

A note on 333 and if you have to have it to do commercial flight with a MR. Well it is like driving w/o a license or operating an airplane w/o a license. It is fine until you meet up with an enforcement official, like if something happens or you are spotted in a restricted area. Then not having the proper license/exceptions and qualifications can quickly become very problematic and expensive. Also most businesses will not hire you unless you are insured and have the proper authorization to fly.

This is not to say that lots of MR operators are making money shooting w/o insurance and 333 (possible 107 soon). I know they are it is up to you to decide what risks you want to take. If you have a lot of equity and a prosperous business taking a chance operating outside the rules may not be worth it.

Thanks. I am up in Canada so not sure what insurance options are available. I checked with my auto insurance provider and they don't offer it and my home insurance provider are looking in to it.
Try Capri insurance. I have liability insurance through them and they will also do replacement cost for drone but if it's a phantom you shouldn't need replacement policy. Calvin Reicht is my agent and has been very good. Do be doing commercial work without insurance or a SFOC in Canada. Transport Canada is cracking down and just fined an operator in Vancouver $5000 for being an idiot and flying way out of visual range and close to the water airport in Vancouver harbour

speaklll

I didn't say it took a year, I said get a lawyer if you don't want it to because they are now backed up. It's the ground class he took and after speaking to NaimNatNod (sorry if I butchered that), I will be taking it myself. It teaches you how to read the flight maps and approaches and how to contact and speak to the airport towers and the like. It's called the ground class or something. You don't need to be a full fledged pilot to fly a UAS.

A ground school class does not make a pilots license and does not fulfill the requirement. You DO need a "full fledged" pilots license AND a 333 to fly a UAS commercially.

I did my first paying job this Monday, I also sent out numerous introduction letters to various prospective clients i.e...real estate, a surf shop, golf course and others. Included in this letter are my 333 exemption # and my 4 million insurance policy (covering 8 different quads) Most companies will not even do business without that BASIC information. What I currently offer on the cheap is a CD with 10 images and a 5 minute video for $75. (If they want to add audio, extra images, longer video or any editing it will go up from there) I know these prices are low But I have to get clients in and talking. so I guess if you break it down it comes to $5. per photo and $25 for the video for 1/2 hr of work. the going rate is twice that from what I understand, However many people are getting Much more than even that. I wish them all the best.
Don't sell yourself short on prices. You will never be able to get them up. We don't bother doing a shoot for less than $200. Remember it's your time your equipment, expertise and insurance. Charging $25 and hour you are just wasting your time unless you have a minimum base fee.

I just did a few shoots yesterday for real estate which in my opinion is usually a waste of time because they want it so cheap. It's a fun small supplement but we also so a lot of point cloud 3D mapping for industrial companies and construction sites. That's where the money is at.

Reactions: BigAl07 and AndrewV
Don't sell yourself short on prices. You will never be able to get them up. We don't bother doing a shoot for less than $200. Remember it's your time your equipment, expertise and insurance. Charging $25 and hour you are just wasting your time unless you have a minimum base fee.

I just did a few shoots yesterday for real estate which in my opinion is usually a waste of time because they want it so cheap. It's a fun small supplement but we also so a lot of point cloud 3D mapping for industrial companies and construction sites. That's where the money is at.
Thank you Bro! I agree but my problem is I already have a business and this is secondary for me and I'm only available 2 days a week (the days I'm closed) weather permitting.

This subject of price is typically "what the market will bear". It's all about supply and demand. If you're in the boonies and nobody else can do what you do, you have a monopoly, you can charge whatever the customer will pay. That's often set by what kind of car the guy has sitting in his driveway, or the value of his home, etc. So, pricing can be all over the map, based on the market and customer conditions.

From a customer point of view, the price is based on the quality of the results. Demo videos online can help you prove your skill set, so the customer knows what to expect for the end result. You're a photographer. If you ask 5 photographers what they charge their customers you'll find the numbers will vary greatly, depending on their experience, skill set, notoriety and word of mouth marketing from past happy customers, as well as the market conditions.

Since you're a beginner with no certification, 333, insurance and little experience (implied by the post), you should start out modestly priced to start building your customer base. That's a good way to get good word of mouth marketing going for yourself. When you're booked with so many jobs that you can't handle it, raise your price 20%, and keep raising them until you aren't booked 3wks out, or until the FAA catches up with you :p.

This summer you should be able to get a 107 cert for less than $1000. I'm hopeful the FAA will release that plan soon. That's what you need to get business insurance to fly commercial drones, if you don't plan to get a 333 (6mo waiting period) and pilot license (another 4-6mo process).

If you're in the US, and you are legally registered with the FAA, make sure you follow the guidelines you signed up to. You don't want to lose your house for the liability you're exposing to yourself to. Negligence to the guidelines won't help you in court. Keep in mine that most insurance companies will only insure you for hobby purposes. If there's an incident that's determined to be for commercial purposes (IE, you're flying for money), your insurance coverage is null and void. To get liability insurance for commercial work, no insurance company will sell you a policy unless you have a 333 and pilot's license, assuming they are a reputable company.
What is a 107 cert?

"
  1. The operator may not permit any PIC to operate unless the PIC demonstrates the ability to safely operate the UAS in a manner consistent with how the UAS will be operated under this exemption

I am not 100 on this but is sounds to me that the PUC 333 exempt operator can let anyone fly it that demonstrates the ability to fly the craft safely.
I will be straightforward...
FACT IS...YOUR WRONG! Sound like you need a new lawyer.. The one you have took your money and mislead you. You are not only required to have a pilot's license, but at least a 3rd class medical for Private Pilot or above, a drivers license for Sport. You also must have and maintain currency of you pilots license. You are misreading your 333 all over the place. No the PIC cannot just let anyone fly the UAS. There are listed required currency hours required to fly any specific UAS and they must be completed before any operations. You are operating illegally. Yes I said that. ALL Pilot certificates (license) are called airman certs. There is no pilots license you can obtain by written exam only. Think about how silly that sounds.

Reactions: BigAl07
So has the FAA busted anybody lately for not complying to 333. Right now I know 3 photographers that have beautiful web sites advertising photo and video services using drones and have been running for 3 yrs. Seems like it would be like fishing in a barrel with the FAA searching the web for companies not complying. Maybe the FAA are busting companies, but I really have not heard of any.

The FAA has set up a department to deal with these very issues. They are scanning the internet, YOUTUBE, etc. They are actively seeking violators.

As a section 333 exemption holder with 500k liability insurance on my Phantom and 1 million liability insurance on my business which all cost bucks to acquire, you must at least charge enough to cover your costs. I charge $100 an hour, minimum of 2 hours to show up, if I fly 5 minutes or the two hours. You should not charge exclusively for flight time, but all the things necessary to get into the air as well, mobilization, set-up, moving between launch sites, maintenance (battery changes), etc. I also charge $50 an hour for video editing once I shoot the footage. These are very competitive prices for what the client receives. As I continue to establish myself I will begin to increase those prices. I have been extremely busy this spring. I'm on my way to do some aerial video for a local community college's zombie mud run! Lot's of opportunity beyond just real estate listing videos, which I do as well. Hope this helps.

The proliferation of bad information in this thread is astounding. If you're not sure, save it until you are.

all I see is a crap load of henpecking, whiney folks babbling about 333. It's done. No one cares about 333.
Technology has surpassed faa in this realm and they've no control. Free spirit capalizim rules

Good luck with that approach. If you have any success, your competition will rat you out. It takes one email. And when it comes to airspace, nothing has "surpassed" the FAA. You fly; you follow their rules. It's that simple. If you don't want to listen to the advice of people who actually know what they're doing, well, I can predict your future. Your free spirit capitalism (note the spelling) does not include breaking the law.

Charge for photo and video editing. Who care what kind of camera it is. Or, what kind of balloon carries it.

That's the other big fallacy. Don't fool yourself into thinking the FAA can't see through your "complex accounting". Any activity in the furtherance of a business (direct or otherwise) is commercial use.

As for pricing, I'm seeing a lot of numbers that look like they're for a copier repair tech. Add a zero. Or two. Use a day rate.

So much misinformation here I don't know where to start:

1. Your AMA, home owner's or other general insurance does NOT cover commercial use. The only insurance that works for commercial use is aircraft insurance.
  2. Aircraft insurers may sell it to you without a 333 but it's doubtful any claims would be honored for commercial use without the 333.
  3. Under current FARs, you must possess a pilot's license in some form to operate an sUAS commercially. It's written in every 333 exemption granted to date. Anyone who tells you otherwise is misinformed. Part 107 will change this when implemented.

Yes thank you. Also this Airman Certificate thing. ALL Pilot certificates are called airman certs. generally. There is NO Airman Cert that is a pilots license. If fact it is not called license but a certificate. There is no pilot cert that can be obtained without actually flying an aircraft. There is no "written exam only" pilot certificate. Taking a ground school course does not make a pilot. So much misinformation here I don't know where to start says it all.

Don't assume you have insurance coverage. Talk to your agent. I have a $1 million State Farm umbrella policy which covers my liability for personal flights by had to get another policy to cover me for commercial activities. At that time State Farm did not offer coverage for crashes, flyaways etc. The way I read the AMA coverage it will not cover commercial activities either.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl