What do you do with all your raw footage

RRD

Reaction score
All,
Curious out there how many people actually edit and share their videos or it just lays to waste on memory cards never to be seen again. Wondering what you all do? Originally I thought folks that had drones were probably adept at editing as well, but now not so sure.

Really curious

I have the same question. Most of what I read online are people using editing software. I just want to fly take good videos and learn how to use the director who's came with drone which there doesn't seem to be a tutorial on it. Then once the video is on my sd card what to do with it. I'm shooting in 4k but read must have 4k TV or special video card in my laptop. Just need p3 tutorial link that explains all of this in laymen's a terms. Any ideas out there ?

After flying I copy the MP4 file into a folder called RAW DRONE VIDEOS on my PC, then delete from SD card and reinsert in drone for next time.
I work on videos editing at my leisure and save the edited videos in a separate folder. At the end of each week I delete the files in raw folder if I'm sure I'm not going to use for additional editing.

After flying I copy the MP4 file into a folder called RAW DRONE VIDEOS on my PC, then delete from SD card and reinsert in drone for next time.
I work on videos editing at my leisure and save the edited videos in a separate folder. At the end of each week I delete the files in raw folder if I'm sure I'm not going to use for additional editing.
Thank you. Since I'm shooting in 4 k will I be able to see it in my computer or TV? Both are not 4k ready but am able to see playback on my iPad Air when I play it back after landing. Any advice would be appreciated.

The being sure I'm not going to use it for additional editing is where I always get hung up. I can't predict the future and you just never know when you'll need some other bit of raw footage for something. So it always pains me to delete original raw files. But the thought of buying terabyte after terabyte of external drive space just to store hours and hours of uncut footage I'll probably never need doesn't exactly sound like a desirable solution either.

I always keep my unedited camera footage. While drone videography is relatively new to me (3 years) I have been shooting and editing video for almost 20 years. And I have the shelf full of tapes to prove it. When I shoot anything whether from my Hero4 on the drone or my Sony HD cameras, the first thing I do is make a copy of the original footage. Hard disk drives are cheap at $50 per terabyte and I archive the raw footage on those and put them in a drawer. (I use bare drives and an external USB docking station).

Only three times have I needed the original footage. Once when a young woman in a high school musical needed audition footage for Berklee College. She is now on Broadway. Once when an editing session was interrupted with a computer crash and burn. Rather than repair the damaged files, it was easier to start over. and once very recently when a property boundary dispute came up and someone remembered that I had flown my Phantom over the neighborhood and asked me if I had footage they could use. I did.

Plus, if you ever do go pro, you will have a lot of unedited footage to build your demo reel.

Hard disk drives are cheap at $50 per terabyte and I archive the raw footage on those and put them in a drawer. (I use bare drives and an external USB docking station).
How do you keep track of what's on each drive? Do you number them and keep a file or some other method?

How do you keep track of what's on each drive? Do you number them and keep a file or some other method?
I used to, but the archives are of whole projects including the editing files. If someone needs something from a musical I shot, I just need the name of the musical or the performance date to find the project files.

I don't have enough drone video to think about it yet, but once my 333 or Part 107 happens, I will be accumulating footage pretty fast. I may need a better logging system because every commercial flight should be logged anyway for insurance reasons. (It's a lot easier to argue for a lower liability rate if you have 100 incident-free hours logged than 10 hours.)

I am saving my raw footage on a 2 tb external drive. Like the man said, "storage is cheap". The only way I can seem to keep track is to create a folder with a name that describes the video inside. You could also use the date but you still need some way of remembering what you shot on that date. The DJI Go app helps with the flight log. I also keep a hand written journal of what I shoot, where, under what conditions etc. to help me remember. Seems like a lot of work but it really doesn't take much time and is worth it when I want to find a shot that I need to use again.

I'm usually testing features at a boring field, or incorporating aerial footage into other short videos. When I get home, it gets reviewed and edited. If it doesn't get used, it goes to the trash bin pretty quick unless there is really something in there I think I will use. Once edited, it goes into unlisted Vimeo/youtube and Google Drive. Then source files get trashed.

It is pointless to hoard all this footage. Many people think they have gold on their hands not realizing it is mostly coal. If you have something truly special, it will be obvious. 99.9% is just worthless and there is no point in keeping it, IMO.

Its really interesting to listen and hear everyones experiences. Of course, I have the same issue for both my drone and GoPro which led me to ask.

Theres definitely a lot of trash in the footage captured, I know I've got a lot, but when you do find the gems that you want to keep and make a video out of, is this a major stumbling block?

If there was a service that took raw footage and used editors to craft them into customized stories on the cheap would you use it?

Fyi...this is not a solicitation, really just curious if there would be a demand for such a thing and this is the perfect audience to ask.

I keep everything.
TB's of hard disk are cheap.
Create folder names like
2015-09-22_CampingTripRedNeckWoods
there will obviously be some rubbish footage but best to save everything as a "just in case".
Also back up to another identical drive.
Nothing worse than the "doh" moment!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31