What do I do first?

Reaction score
My P4 will arrive this afternoon. I have never flown a drone before, except for toys. So, I am asking all those experienced pilots out there: What do I do first?

I know, open the box, right? LOL What I mean is, obviously open and charge the batteries. Is there a best way to learn how to fly this thing? My plan was to take it to a small 8 acre park near my home that has almost no trees, but does have some high tension wires running through it. Is there a particular technique that would be best to get the hang of flying? Anything I should avoid doing on my first or first few flights?

Do I upgrade the firmware first? Not many videos out yet, is that the same method as the P3?

My setup will be a Phantom 4 and using an iPad Mini 4 for the monitor.

Make sure you download the manual from DJI's downloads page. Firmware updates are optional, but it's a great idea considering the Phantom 4 is so new. I'm sure DJI will be sending updates out more frequently as they learn of new issues.

You should have been doing things prior to receiving your P4 . Scoping out areas to fly , checking your regulations in your area and looking for no fly zones, reading the manual , possibly practicing your skills on a smaller quad.
Make sure you have the DJI Go APP on your tablet or smart phone , (the one you will be using) .
Hook it up to your controller and turn on the controller then the P4 .
It should go through an update or prompt you to update.
Downlaod the DJI assistant 2 program for your computer in case your bird doesnt update (like mine didnt)
Hope this helps.

I was in the same situation when I picked up my P4 Tuesday. I've just been going very slow and getting comfortable with how to control it. Just go easy on the sticks, the P4 is pretty amazing in how easy it is to fly. It will take awhile for me to get comfortable and confident, just takes time and experience.

The biggest challenge for me has been watching the screen on my device rather than watching the drone itself. It is easier to be accurate with the controls when watching the device (FPV) but it makes me nervous not to watch the P4.

You should have been doing things prior to receiving your P4 . Scoping out areas to fly , checking your regulations in your area and looking for no fly zones, reading the manual , possibly practicing your skills on a smaller quad.
Make sure you have the DJI Go APP on your tablet or smart phone , (the one you will be using) .
Hook it up to your controller and turn on the controller then the P4 .
It should go through an update or prompt you to update.
Downlaod the DJI assistant 2 program for your computer in case your bird doesnt update (like mine didnt)
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response. I haven't actually received it yet, so there is still time to do what you suggest.

Shopping out areas to fly - did that. Most (90%) of my flying will be in a very rural area around the property we own in East Texas. There is a fairly open park, though kind of on the small side at 8 acres near me that I plan to do some practice in.

Regulations - how does one go about checking for drone-specific regulations in my area? I'm aware of the no-fly zones and have already played with UAV forecast. It appears I will have to call the tower when I practice in the park. Local regs? Where would I find them?

I'm reading the manual, but I can only afford one drone, so I won't have a disposable one I can crash. I don't know many people with that kind of money to waste.

What I'm wondering is:
Is there any special handling for the batteries to maximize life?

Any "gotchas" I have to watch out for - I know about the CSC after lurking on forums, do that will always be foremost in my thoughts

Is there anything you did that made you a better pilot? Fly figure 8's, or s shaped courses.

It's a pirates life for me

You should be OK on regulations in an open area. Just wanted to make sure you were not flying around a major city or near an airport. Your P4 should come to you in beginner mode that can be adjusted later after you get used to the controls . It should limit you on how high ,far,fast you can go . Maybe fly a little bit like that until you get a little more comfortable. Just take your time. If flying around trees and power lines later , make sure your above them just in case . I always like to make sure I am at least 100 feet up ad then I can start flying around .

Both sticks down and in to arm the motors. Left stick down all the way for 3 seconds to turn motors off.

If you use an apple device there is a flight simulator that is really good. Practice with that

Use the simulator and practice flying in all orientations, i.e. Phantom oriented away from you, pointed towards you, perpendicular.. Also try out the function modes in the simulator first to get an idea how they operate. Also put it in beginner mode!

Also, do an IMU calibration first, then calibrate your compass before you even take off!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

On your first few flights I would avoid getting it out too far and concentrate on orientation. Its easier nowadays but with something like the P4 if you lose one or two pieces of information like the video feed fails and the battery is low you'll forget the map can show you which way is forward depending on the crafts orientation. So keep it close and relatively low until you get the hang of it.

Also its new and who knows one motor might not be working properly so another good reason to keep it close and low incase something breaks on flight 1. Once your first few flights are done get a little more adventorous.

Finally, it goes without saying if the P4 can calibrate its IMUs do that then a compass calibration before your first flight. But no need to repeat unless you firmware upgrade or travel a long distance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl