What DJI Got Wrong With the Phantom 4

I haven't timed it but it seems to take the same amount of time, I have over ten batteries and only one bag, which was sent to me with a battery. I used it once just to see and it was charged at the same time the one out of the bag was charged. Both batteries were down to %5.

Interesting. Well the heat has to go somewhere. I'll try a comparison test with an insulated vs. uninsulated battery and measure charge rate and battery temperature.

Reactions: ray rokni
Having just watched the OP's video, I have to say that I don't find any of the five concerns to be a problem for me. I can't see how a gimbal guard wouldn't interfere with shooting downward and as for the HDMI output, it would be nice not to have to buy it separately but I think DJI figured most wouldn't need one so save some $ in manufacturing and they can make some $ on those that do.

What I would like to see is the option for a second controller just like the Inspire so camera operation can be handled by another person. I realize the pan would be limited but perhaps the Yaw could be controlled by the cameraman with operator override. Just curious if anyone else might like that.

Love the idea of lens protection and auto record....
If you really like auto record, get Litchi. It does lots of other neat things as well. The lens protector *is* there. You don't want *another* one.

Hey dawg! I heard you like lens protectors on your lens protectors!

Interesting. Well the heat has to go somewhere. I'll try a comparison test with an insulated vs. uninsulated battery and measure charge rate and battery temperature.
It takes a lot of energy to get a LiPo battery to ignite. The waste energy discharged in charging (because no process is 100% efficient) is nowhere near enough to get the whole pack to go exothermic. Rapid discharge, on the other hand, is.

LiPo's like to be warm (up to a point).

People forget that it is about money for dji, sure they could put everything plus the kitchen sink on the p3 but then we wouldn't want to pay the price tag

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Reed L
It is not an assumption, but a fact that the Phantom is a flying camera. It has been specifically designed for that. If not, what would be the point to have a 3 Axis Gimbal, 2GPS to stay still when hovering, and a 4K cam highly adjustable to match professional requirements? Not mentioning automated flights. For what other purpose would you use it? to draw some 8 in the sky at 22mph? quite boring and expensive for that kind of hobby. Really, a P3 or a P4 have no other purpose. FYI, except racing drones, all decent civil drones sold now are mainly designed for film and photography... What else do you have in mind with a P3/4?

I think you need to expand your mind and realize your idea's are not the only ideas. In America there are over 300 million people. Do you think your idea's are the only idea's. That is really restricting your mind. It really doesn't matter what it was designed for if I want to use it for something just a little different. It is up to the user, not you and not DJI. I have seen YouTuber's who attached search lights to it and didn't need the camera. Some want to do light shows with it. One guy on YouTube used his drone to cut large icicles off the roof of his house by attaching a chainsaw to it. Hilarious video. You are only limited by your imagination.

You are assuming that all purchasers are photographers or interested in photography.
I bet if we did a study, you may be surprised.
I really am not interested in photography, I bought the p3 because of its technological advances for a rock solid flying device and not the camera.

I find flying around at slow speeds taking pictures of things very boring, I like the p3 because that's the closest I can get to flying at the moment or to explore scenery that otherwise would be difficult to get to.
If I wanted the p3 solely to take pictures of scenery, I would use Google!

So for you to tell me that it's a wrong decision it would be very presumptuous.

It is not an assumption, but a fact that the Phantom is a flying camera. It has been specifically designed for that. If not, what would be the point to have a 3 Axis Gimbal, 2GPS to stay still when hovering, and a 4K cam highly adjustable to match professional requirements? Not mentioning automated flights. For what other purpose would you use it? to draw some 8 in the sky at 22mph? quite boring and expensive for that kind of hobby. Really, a P3 or a P4 have no other purpose. FYI, except racing drones, all decent civil drones sold now are mainly designed for film and photography... What else do you have in mind with a P3/4?

Let's all take a moment and set aside all the idiosyncrasies of the craft and flying the "contraption," and appreciate the magic of this Aircraft: 15-20 years ago none of this technology existed. A personal, highly technical aircraft that will fly (within its limits) virtually anywhere we want to go and give us the vantage points that were only a fantasy just a few years ago. I have over 45 years of photography experience, yet Every time my uav takes off I feel like a kid again, exploring and discovering the fantastic and beautiful. Hats-off to a hobby that has the Magic and wonder of taking us to places very few have ever seen, and give us eyes where we have only dreamed of having eyes. Three cheers to DJI for creating such a neat and capable AC.

Let's all take a moment and set aside all the idiosyncrasies of the craft and flying the "contraption," and appreciate the magic of this Aircraft: 15-20 years ago none of this technology existed. A personal, highly technical aircraft that will fly (within its limits) virtually anywhere we want to go and give us the vantage points that were only a fantasy just a few years ago. I have over 45 years of photography experience, yet Every time my uav takes off I feel like a kid again, exploring and discovering the fantastic and beautiful. Hats-off to a hobby that has the Magic and wonder of taking us to places very few have ever seen, and give us eyes where we have only dreamed of having eyes. Three cheers to DJI for creating such a neat and capable AC.

Couldn't agree more, well done!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Obviously I'm new to PH 4, so what you guys see as a dispute, I see as a learning experience :)
I didn't know my camera had a lens cover/protector, so that was cool
According to my documentation my lipo will shut down if it sees >12A that is still close to 200W and definitely a fire hazard. Most likely any direct contact would pull well over the power required to trip the safety.
Thank you for your experience and posts!
Dave

I think you need to expand your mind and realize your idea's are not the only ideas. In America there are over 300 million people. Do you think your idea's are the only idea's. That is really restricting your mind. It really doesn't matter what it was designed for if I want to use it for something just a little different. It is up to the user, not you and not DJI. I have seen YouTuber's who attached search lights to it and didn't need the camera. Some want to do light shows with it. One guy on YouTube used his drone to cut large icicles off the roof of his house by attaching a chainsaw to it. Hilarious video. You are only limited by your imagination.
As you say, 300 millions people, and 3 ideas that you know of... That's a lot. I don't want to mention that apparently for you the world is limited to north America... I've got news for you, there is a whole world outside, but not much more ways to use a P3, and it is not by installing flashing lights on it that will show an unbelievable proof of imagination. Oh yes! I should add the one lifting bottles of water... Anything a little bit more....sensible? A light show and a chainsaw? certainly not with a phantom this one I saw it too. So, other genius ideas?

Last edited:
You are assuming that all purchasers are photographers or interested in photography.
I bet if we did a study, you may be surprised.
I like the p3 because that's the closest I can get to flying at the moment or to explore scenery that otherwise would be difficult to get to.

You say it yourself, How would you explore these "sceneries difficult to get to" if it was not a flying camera? Even if you can find any crazy useless idea to use it, P3 and P4 are not made for anything else than been used as a flying cameras. And it is so true, to the point that DJI has removed the manual flight mode that was present on P1 and P2. These 2 were not only flying cameras and are a lot of fun to pilot manually, agile and very fast! But they don't provide the stability of the P3 and P4, that are dedicated to camera work. like it or not.
I'm still waiting to know what else than using its flying camera capabilities you are using it to.

See problem here is that I understand that you want to use it as a flying camera to take pictures and videos but you refuse to understand that exactly because of the sheer stability, trustworthiness and sheer range of the p3, that there are people who use it to explore places that they have not seen our not able to get to easily and that they could choose other platforms to do this but have chosen the p3 for the above mentioned reasons.
A Toyota Camry is mainly built to get one from point a to b, but there are people that mod it and attach a spoiler to the trunk ( lmao, that always gets me laughing) and live the life of a racer, some do it responsibly in areas dedicated to that and some do it in the main streets!!!
As long as we don't hurt other people or trample on their rights or assume they are idiots, I say use whatever you want for whatever reason you want it for.
I wish you great success and enjoyment in your droning adventures, you never know you may video me zooming past sideways dangling with a kilo of moded batteries, propellers, etc, which for some idiotic reason as it may be to you, gives me and many others like me great enjoyment.

Have fun

You say it yourself, How would you explore these "sceneries difficult to get to" if it was not a flying camera? Even if you can find any crazy useless idea to use it, P3 and P4 are not made for anything else than been used as a flying cameras. And it is so true, to the point that DJI has removed the manual flight mode that was present on P1 and P2. These 2 were not only flying cameras and are a lot of fun to pilot manually, agile and very fast! But they don't provide the stability of the P3 and P4, that are dedicated to camera work. like it or not.
I'm still waiting to know what else than using its flying camera capabilities you are using it to.

@Serg. Let me finish by saying this
The day I find a quad as reliable and as capable as the p3 I will switch over to it, even if it doesn't have as good a camera.
Do you honestly believe that the majority of phantom users are photographers?
I say let's do a thread and ask people to answer with " photographer" and "not", in fact I'll start one shortly

Now can someone tell me where to go to start a thread from a mobile device

See problem here is that I understand that you want to use it as a flying camera to take pictures and videos but you refuse to understand that exactly because of the sheer stability, trustworthiness and sheer range of the p3, that there are people who use it to explore places that they have not seen our not able to get to easily and that they could choose other platforms to do this but have chosen the p3 for the above mentioned reasons.
A Toyota Camry is mainly built to get one from point a to b, but there are people that mod it and attach a spoiler to the trunk ( lmao, that always gets me laughing) and live the life of a racer, some do it responsibly in areas dedicated to that and some do it in the main streets!!!
As long as we don't hurt other people or trample on their rights or assume they are idiots, I say use whatever you want for whatever reason you want it for.
I wish you great success and enjoyment in your droning adventures, you never know you may video me zooming past sideways dangling with a kilo of moded batteries, propellers, etc, which for some idiotic reason as it may be to you, gives me and many others like me great enjoyment.

Have fun

The fun I have is to read your post. Thanks, but you talk about security and you want to zooming pass sidways dangling with a kilo of moded batteries, which is the opposite of flying safety. (if in any event you succeed in taking off!). The fun you describe here will crack your shell, over rev your engines and fry them... but yes! you will have had a lot of fun for a moment. :)

Having just watched the OP's video, I have to say that I don't find any of the five concerns to be a problem for me. I can't see how a gimbal guard wouldn't interfere with shooting downward and as for the HDMI output, it would be nice not to have to buy it separately but I think DJI figured most wouldn't need one so save some $ in manufacturing and they can make some $ on those that do.

What I would like to see is the option for a second controller just like the Inspire so camera operation can be handled by another person. I realize the pan would be limited but perhaps the Yaw could be controlled by the cameraman with operator override. Just curious if anyone else might like that.
They weren't trying to save money on manufacturing, they were trying to make money on sales.

The cost of adding an HDMI out module is barely anything but they knew that the people wanting to use FPV glasses and people that use it for live things, would buy the HDMI output.

I'll take his desire a step farther and non only ask for HDMI output as part of the whole package when we get into P5 talking time, which were not IMO but when we do, HDMI with a 1080p output. Is light bridge 2 still 720?

It's gonna take some serious R&D to get whats from the bird to a live monitor source with not much latency but going forward, an HDMI output should definitely be a part of the controller and not an option. I agree with the point. Maybe not in the p3, and maybe not in the P4 but definitely in the P5.

@Serg. Let me finish by saying this
The day I find a quad as reliable and as capable as the p3 I will switch over to it, even if it doesn't have as good a camera.
Do you honestly believe that the majority of phantom users are photographers?
I say let's do a thread and ask people to answer with " photographer" and "not", in fact I'll start one shortly

That would probably be a good test. Photo AND Video. and Exploration is part of camera use of course.

The fun I have is to read your post. Thanks, but you talk about security and you want to zooming pass sidways dangling with a kilo of moded batteries, which is the opposite of flying safety. (if in any event you succeed in taking off!). The fun you describe here will crack your shell, over rev your engines and fry them... but yes! you will have had a lot of fun for a moment. :)

Again, entirely a matter of opinion and I have over a thousand miles of hard flying with extreme maneuvers and my shell is perfectly fine without any cracks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor