What DJI Got Wrong With the Phantom 4

I've been flying the P4 since it was released and had to put a clip together covering a few of the details I think they missed. I LOVE the drone but hope they correct these with the Phantom 5.

this video reminds me of this
upload_2016-7-26_18-1-40.png

let me help you
1 gimbal guard / hand catch don't need one
2 hdmi output/ get a tablet with hdmi output then you don't need it nvedia shield
3 lipo battery / don't hear a lot about battery blowing up or catching fire paranoid
4auto record / easy one press the button geez really
5 lens / buy some nd filters wont have this problem
plus in your video you said this was dji most expensive drone / no it isn't even close

I can't say that I disagree with any of that. I do wonder about the gimbal protection from the landing gear. There's got to be a way without interfering with 90 degree downward shots.

I'd simply like to see a replaceable/interchangeable assembly/PnP like my Inspire. As a matter of fact, why not make it exactly like the Inspire and support all those cameras? It takes nothing away from the Inspire, IMHO.

Taller landing gear would help also. It wouldn't take much and just a little wider maybe wouldn't interfere with propulsion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Stewart
let me help you
2 hdmi output/ get a tablet with hdmi output then you don't need it nvedia shield
3 lipo battery / don't hear a lot about battery blowing up or catching fire paranoid
plus in your video you said this was dji most expensive drone / no it isn't even close

Did you actually encourage that extremely dangerous behavior on a public forum?

I don't really care what you do. That's your business, but please don't encourage that here. That's the kind of thing that's going to continue to give our hobby a bad name.

FWIW, as a range safety officer in my local club, you would only be warned about that about 2 times. Maybe Continuing would likely get you expelled from our club.

Catching a rotary aircraft, or any aircraft for that matter, is a dangerous behavior and should never be attempted under any circumstances and for any reason. Lose a couple of digits and you'll understand. How do I know? I have. Not doing anything related to RC, but it only takes once.

It's one thing to be careless. Recklessness is entirely another thing.

I don't really care what you do. That's your business, but please don't encourage that here. That's the kind of thing that's going to continue to give our hobby a bad name.

FWIW, as a range safety officer in my local club, you would only be warned about that about 2 times. Maybe Continuing would likely get you expelled from our club.

Catching a rotary aircraft, or any aircraft for that matter, is a dangerous behavior and should never be attempted under any circumstances and for any reason. Lose a couple of digits and you'll understand. How do I know? I have. Not doing anything related to RC, but it only takes once.

are you nuts a lot of people hand catch there phantoms prevents them from tipping over geez might want to look around forum half the people handcatch

LOL I knew I should NEVER try to catch my $5 rotary mini copter.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: FlashBuddy

Hand-catching is perfectly common practice with Phantoms, and has been since they were first released. You are completely over-reacting.

Hand-catching is perfectly common practice with Phantoms, and has been since they were first released. You are completely over-reacting.
he would boot me off the field lol fly around ama they don't have a problem with it

let me help you

Again, I really appreciate the great attitude you bring to the conversation. But since you started the sword fight, lets finish it. I couldn't disagree more with most of your points.

1) The gimbal guard is an easy attachment that doesn't interfere with downward shots or gimbal movement, all it does is protect the expensive gimbal. Second, hand catching should be a last resort for any pilot. The drone is essentially a flying Cuisinart and reaching in to catch it when you could safely land it on the ground is just plain nuts. If you're going to be a serious pilot, learning how to takeoff and land are Drone 101 skills. Please don't encourage others to do this unless they no longer want to be able to count to 10.

2)Leaving HDMI out of the controller is unforgivable and then offering a $100 upgrade board after the fact is almost sinful, especially when the drone is so expensive.

3)Maybe you've never seen it but if you've been flying RC for a while you'll meet someone who has had a LiPo fire and if you read all of the strong warnings in the DJI Battery Care manual you'll see that they know it's potentially dangerous.

4) This feature is the main reason many flyers love the Litchi app. It's a simple software fix that would take a mediocre coder about 30 minutes to add to the DJI Go app. If we're honest, most of us have flown the drone and forgot to hit the button. Once its in the software, I can turn it on and you can leave it off.

5) Not protecting the lens is unforgivable. I know that I can replace the UV lens that comes with the drone but it's $38 plus shipping. Aftermarket companies make a lens protector that adheres to the stock lens to protect it and can easily be removed and replaced as needed that costs about $8.

One last thing. I've been flying RC for a good while and really enjoy the hobby but I enjoy the community even more. I've always found it to be inclusive and welcoming to new pilots with most old-timers happy to help a newbie join the ranks. Your aggressive tone is very much in contrast to that and I'm not sure what I did to set you off but I was simply offering my opinion and took the time to put on a pair of pants, fire up the camera and record a clip to share. Agree or not but lets keep it civil.

Again, I really appreciate the great attitude you bring to the conversation. But since you started the sword fight, lets finish it. I couldn't disagree more with most of your points.

1) The gimbal guard is an easy attachment that doesn't interfere with downward shots or gimbal movement, all it does is protect the expensive gimbal. Second, hand catching should be a last resort for any pilot. The drone is essentially a flying Cuisinart and reaching in to catch it when you could safely land it on the ground is just plain nuts. If you're going to be a serious pilot, learning how to takeoff and land are Drone 101 skills. Please don't encourage others to do this unless they no longer want to be able to count to 10.

2)Leaving HDMI out of the controller is unforgivable and then offering a $100 upgrade board after the fact is almost sinful, especially when the drone is so expensive.

3)Maybe you've never seen it but if you've been flying RC for a while you'll meet someone who has had a LiPo fire and if you read all of the strong warnings in the DJI Battery Care manual you'll see that they know it's potentially dangerous.

4) This feature is the main reason many flyers love the Litchi app. It's a simple software fix that would take a mediocre coder about 30 minutes to add to the DJI Go app. If we're honest, most of us have flown the drone and forgot to hit the button. Once its in the software, I can turn it on and you can leave it off.

5) Not protecting the lens is unforgivable. I know that I can replace the UV lens that comes with the drone but it's $38 plus shipping. Aftermarket companies make a lens protector that adheres to the stock lens to protect it and can easily be removed and replaced as needed that costs about $8.

One last thing. I've been flying RC for a good while and really enjoy the hobby but I enjoy the community even more. I've always found it to be inclusive and welcoming to new pilots with most old-timers happy to help a newbie join the ranks. Your aggressive tone is very much in contrast to that and I'm not sure what I did to set you off but I was simply offering my opinion and took the time to put on a pair of pants, fire up the camera and record a clip to share. Agree or not but lets keep it civil.
was just offering my thoughts on what you said and buy the way 50 percent of people handcatch that is why they don't have tip overs

You wanna back that up with evidence? Show me. In writing.

The stupidity is strong here.
you are kinda new here we talk about handcatching all the time go look at older threads on it

was just offering my thoughts on what you said and buy the way 50 percent of people handcatch that is why they don't have tip overs

OK, sorry if I came on strong. Understanding that this hobby is exploding exponentially with new flyers heading to an Apple store everyday, buying a Phantom and flying it before they get back to their car in the parking lot, I just wanted to stress that before trying to hand-catch they should learn the basics of takeoff and landing. Anyone can power up the drone, push both sticks forward and takeoff, its the delicate nuance of landing that hones their skill for more controlled flight. And if the drone is tipping over on landing, they're doing something wrong. I have no problem with you making the decision for yourself, I just worry when others think its easier than it really is.

As I said, I don't give a rat's appendage what you do, though I Really should. You see, this hobby that the rest of us have been doing safely and somewhat in obscurity for over 50 years is in jeopardy because of exactly the types of behaviors you are encouraging. It's not safe, and to say anything otherwise is pretentious at best and outright dangerous at worst.

Just because "people do it" does not make it safe.

OK, sorry if I came on strong. Understanding that this hobby is exploding exponentially with new flyers heading to an Apple store everyday, buying a Phantom and flying it before they get back to their car in the parking lot, I just wanted to stress that before trying to hand-catch they should learn the basics of takeoff and landing. Anyone can power up the drone, push both sticks forward and takeoff, its the delicate nuance of landing that hones their skill for more controlled flight. And if the drone is tipping over on landing, they're doing something wrong. I have no problem with you making the decision for yourself, I just worry when others think its easier than it really is.
like anything else it comes easy for some others shouldn't be doing it just little clumsy and yeah newbie just want to fly and not take time to learn how to properly operate drone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik