What DJI Got Wrong With the Phantom 4

One more thought... If you can't land an aircraft without tipping it over, you just addressed the entire problem by making one statement.

did you ever fly on a natural grass cover beach?

HINT do NOT try to land on the ground, and so on and so on....

I appreciate you officialdom status and respect it.
But you really come off as bossy and I am better than you.....
I would not dare to come to your ama field and start telling you ...in a belligerent way you are bad etc ..

relax a bit and enjoy your phantom , don't hand catch if you choose

but for you to assume one is not capable to operate a quad BECAUSE they chose to not land on a poor/ non existent landing zone and prefer to catch is pretty telling of you!

good land and have fun flying!

Thanks for the feedback and compliment on the video, I appreciate the conversation. It's one of the reasons I did the clip. As for the clarifications, what frustrated me about the HDMI missing on the P4 is that DJI already offers an upgrade board that you can replace the stock board on the controller for about $100. I totally understand that that would be hard to justify on the P3S and P3A with their lower price points but was hoping that they would install it on the P4 considering the higher price. The difference in cost would have been minimal for DJI. I know that there aren't a ton of people using FPV goggles today with the P4 but since an investment like this will last me a few years, it would have been nice to have it in there in case I need it later. I actually did the upgrade to be able to use an external monitor in the back of the car for the wife and kids to watch the flight and they love it.
I understand that the outer glass on the camera is replaceable but DJI doesn't actually have a part number yet for this piece for the P4 so you have to buy one for the P3 at a cost of $38. I was suggesting that they provide a thin removable lens cover that slid over this stock lens to protect it like a screen protector for phones. This would allow me to remove it when it got scratched and replace it for a few dollars.
The gimbal guard is an easy one and I know it's not for everyone. I wandered into a explosive conversation earlier about hand-catching or landing the drone so I know the subject is controversial. I use a gimbal guard on my P3A and P4 and they provide a little extra insurance when landing on gravel or tall grass. The one on the P4 is designed to not affect the gimbal or sensors and works great. I know its a personal choice but it bugs me to have to buy it as an aftermarket accessory.
The LiPo battery is a potential problem, but less so with the Phantom. DJI does a great job of protecting the battery during charging with their on-board electronics to prevent overcharging and shorts. The danger comes when these are being transported and get gouged or nicked to expose the chemicals. There are a lot of reports on LiPo fires and what's worse is that its a chemical fire that expands rapidly and can't be doused with a standard home fire extinguisher. I'm not saying it's likely but I feel like DJI has a responsibility to mitigate that danger with an inexpensive LiPo safety bag (another aftermarket accessory). With the cost of P4 batteries hovering around $150, a $3 bag should come with the box.
Having said all of this, I love this drone and fly it almost every day. Being an engineer, I am always looking at how things can be a little better with the next version and am hoping that these things change with the P5 sometime next year. Either way, thanks for the respectful response.

Hi,
Good video except the sound but it's not that bad.
I agree with the HDMI port, they could include it but it is an option, and what is expensive for one , can be cheap for another. (I was told the P4 was very cheap... Same for the P3P and the P2)
however, no need for a bag as the batteries are electronically protected, they have no more chance to explode than the one in your laptop. Did I understand you wished to have sound recording? if yes you will just get the props sound so it 's useless. About recording, your job is to make sure you're rolling before action, so if it doesn't happen, the blame is on you. About the gimbal protection, it interferes with the vertical sensors. Not good. and the lens protection? just add a filter to your camera just like any other sensible photographer/ cameraman. even the most expensive gear never include a filter...
Life is not perfect. But at least that gives some room to people to create their own solutions and make a business out of it.

I don't have a problem with any of your suggestions. As others mentioned, there are alternatives and work-arounds, but I understand that your whole point is "why should we have to find a work-around?". I can, however offer my understanding of why they do not offer the stock version with an HDMI output.

I believe this is done purposely for the same reason that they cut the range in half on the P4 from the P3.

FAA rules basically say NO FPV Goggles. To fly according to the rules, you must maintain un-aided visual contact with your drone at all times.

Putting on FPV goggles would make that impossible.

I believe that DJI is trying to force compliance to these rules by reducing the flying range to keep it in a range that you can see it, and not providing (out of the box) a method that encourages the use of FPV goggles.

I have nothing against the use of FPV goggles, because I believe that it can be done completely safely under the right circumstances in the right area, and that blanket rules like that should always have exceptions, but I do believe that is why it comes like that. As for the other points you made in the video, I say good points. Why not include those things. Even if everyone doesn't feel they are important, what would it hurt?

I'm surprised that the P4 doesn't come with the lens protector. My P3P came with one, which I have switched for an ND8 filter, but there was something there out of the box. Seems like they took something else away on the P4.

The charging bag is a good idea. So is having HDMI output built into the transmitter. I'm not sold on the gimbal protector because I haven't encountered any difficulty with landing. I takeoff and land on a flat surface. Occasionally I have caught it by hand, but I try to avoid doing that. I have over 20 years on the sticks, so it's not difficult for me. I also think a gimbal guard could affect the aerodynamics of the quad and cause more drag, which will reduce battery life.
As far as the lens protection, I don't think that's necessary. That is one function of the UV filter already on the camera. Keep in mind that every piece of glass you put in front of the lens has a negative impact on image quality. I'd rather have to replace the UV filter than have another piece of glass in front of the lens.
Just my 2c. Keep doing what you love. Keep droning.

They should make a gimbal guard that protects me from the exploding battery when I'm hand catching the drone

Sent from my iToaster
Yeah I'm guilty of hand catching my 1700$ drone as well. I'll take sliced up fingers over tipping over any day keeps my skids clean .

Did you actually encourage that extremely dangerous behavior on a public forum.
Catching a rotary aircraft, or any aircraft for that matter, is a dangerous behavior and should never be attempted under any circumstances.

I'm sorry... are you an ACTUAL idiot!?!?! There are dozens of times DAILY when I prefer to hand catch my p4 instead of landing. EVEN WHEN I HAVE MY TAKEOFF/LANDING BOARD RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!!!
It's faster for one... I can have a battery changed and bird warming back up before you ever get powered down!

Stop talking stupid on this forum. It's not welcome.

Great video, thanks for taking the time to do it. I have 3 P3's and find myself wanting to update to the P4..
your ideas are sound...I always wondered what I would do if a battery caught on fire. I want the HDMI but
hate to spend $100 if I might sell what I have and move to the P4.. I too, have thought I took spectacular footage
only to find I only thought I pressed the record button...would love to have auto record.

I want the HDMI but hate to spend $100 if I might sell what I have and move to the P4.
The same HDMI module is used for the P3 and P4. You could uninstall it from your P3 remote controller and install it on your P4 remote controller.

To add to the previous, he complains about the cost, and then comes up with things that would increase the cost. On the matter of the gimble "protection": concrete (sidewalk), grass and hand capture are probably the top 3 ways NOT to land a UAS.

Reactions: sergekouper
I was suggesting that they provide a thin removable lens cover that slid over this stock lens to protect it like a screen protector for phones. This would allow me to remove it when it got scratched and replace it for a few dollars.

That's actually a poor idea optically. You now have another potentially dirty plastic (ie, poor optical quality) interface for light to bounce around on and cause low contrast, havoc and skin rashes. DJI can be taken to task for not spending the extra 50 cents, beefing up the ring outside the lens and putting a half decent glass plate with a mount that doesn't lock up when you look at it wrong. But not another shield. You can always leave the plastic bit that comes with the camera right out of the box.

The HDMI output I can agree with although it might increase the use of FPV gear which DJI corporate might feel not is especially smart (remember, it's not 'recommended practice').

this video reminds me of this View attachment 60827

My thoughts:

1. gimbal guard: I for one am learning this sport/hobby for the purpose of becoming as good a pilot as I can. That includes landing the AC on a smooth surface or somewhat rocky or grass or dirt or wherever. Yes, sometimes I have to hand catch and sometimes the wind almost won't permit a safe hand catch.
2. HDMI output:
Not everybody uses a tablet all the time. I use Headplay goggles and it requires an HDMI output. Have you seen that little circuit board? $99.00? Really, yes it should be included. Yes we are paying for the technology, as the materials in Chinese dollars is probably about 15 cents for that little apparatus if even that. However, concerning that technology (programming) we are handsomely paying for has been around for a long time now.
3. Lipo battery fire issues:
You don't need it till you need it. Kinda like insurance.
4. Auto record:
I may be a little more forgetful than some of you brainiacs out there. But, I was flying just yesterday, had 3 flights, got back home and wondered where my 3rd flight was. Lol, yup, forgot to hit record due to the circumstances of my flying.
5. Lens:
It would be nice to use either the stock lens or other filters and have a clear lens cover so I don't have to continually clean my expensive lens but rather only clean the protective lens cover. Good idea.

I agree with the OP that your tone came across as if he was talking out of his rear end. It is good to realize that the world doesn't revolve around just one person and that every person's opinion is valid. How can anyone put themselves in another persons shoes if you don't even know them or their circumstances? So, it is better to speak from your own point of view (allowing others to know where you are coming from) and don't dictate to others what you can only surmise about their experience.

Reactions: PTG and mikesmiley
My thoughts:

1. gimbal guard: I for one am learning this sport/hobby for the purpose of becoming as good a pilot as I can. That includes landing the AC on a smooth surface or somewhat rocky or grass or dirt or wherever. Yes, sometimes I have to hand catch and sometimes the wind almost won't permit a safe hand catch.
2. HDMI output:
Not everybody uses a tablet all the time. I use Headplay goggles and it requires an HDMI output. Have you seen that little circuit board? $99.00? Really, yes it should be included. Yes we are paying for the technology, as the materials in Chinese dollars is probably about 15 cents for that little apparatus if even that. However, concerning that technology (programming) we are handsomely paying for has been around for a long time now.
3. Lipo battery fire issues:
You don't need it till you need it. Kinda like insurance.
4. Auto record:
I may be a little more forgetful than some of you brainiacs out there. But, I was flying just yesterday, had 3 flights, got back home and wondered where my 3rd flight was. Lol, yup, forgot to hit record due to the circumstances of my flying.
5. Lens:
It would be nice to use either the stock lens or other filters and have a clear lens cover so I don't have to continually clean my expensive lens but rather only clean the protective lens cover. Good idea.

I agree with the OP that your tone came across as if he was talking out of his rear end. It is good to realize that the world doesn't revolve around just one person and that every person's opinion is valid. How can anyone put themselves in another persons shoes if you don't even know them or their circumstances? So, it is better to speak from your own point of view (allowing others to know where you are coming from) and don't dictate to others what you can only surmise about their experience.
sorry you feel that way but I got 8 like for my comments how many you think you will get 0

Reactions: ray rokni
Did you actually encourage that extremely dangerous behavior on a public forum?

I don't really care what you do. That's your business, but please don't encourage that here. That's the kind of thing that's going to continue to give our hobby a bad name.

FWIW, as a range safety officer in my local club, you would only be warned about that about 2 times. Maybe Continuing would likely get you expelled from our club.

Catching a rotary aircraft, or any aircraft for that matter, is a dangerous behavior and should never be attempted under any circumstances and for any reason. Lose a couple of digits and you'll understand. How do I know? I have. Not doing anything related to RC, but it only takes once.

It's one thing to be careless. Recklessness is entirely another thing.
Out of the hundreds of flights with my P4P...I have only landed it maybe 10 times...the rest has all been hand caught!

sorry you feel that way but I got 8 like for my comments how many you think you will get 0

Try to get the meaning of what I said and don't take it personally. Not trying to be mean, just saying what I saw/read in your post. I see you have made this into a popularity contest where as I have not. I could care less how popular I am, as I said at the top of my rant... "My Thoughts". Nuff said.

Try to get the meaning of what I said and don't take it personally. Not trying to be mean, just saying what I saw/read in your post. I see you have made this into a popularity contest where as I have not. I could care less how popular I am, as I said at the top of my rant... "My Thoughts". Nuff said.
that guy is just trying to get a lot of views for youtube ck on him comes up with all kinds of stupid things

Reactions: sergekouper
I don't have a problem with any of your suggestions. As others mentioned, there are alternatives and work-arounds, but I understand that your whole point is "why should we have to find a work-around?". I can, however offer my understanding of why they do not offer the stock version with an HDMI output.

I believe this is done purposely for the same reason that they cut the range in half on the P4 from the P3.

FAA rules basically say NO FPV Goggles. To fly according to the rules, you must maintain un-aided visual contact with your drone at all times.

Putting on FPV goggles would make that impossible.

I believe that DJI is trying to force compliance to these rules by reducing the flying range to keep it in a range that you can see it, and not providing (out of the box) a method that encourages the use of FPV goggles.

I have nothing against the use of FPV goggles, because I believe that it can be done completely safely under the right circumstances in the right area, and that blanket rules like that should always have exceptions, but I do believe that is why it comes like that. As for the other points you made in the video, I say good points. Why not include those things. Even if everyone doesn't feel they are important, what would it hurt?

I'm surprised that the P4 doesn't come with the lens protector. My P3P came with one, which I have switched for an ND8 filter, but there was something there out of the box. Seems like they took something else away on the P4.

You make some valid points. However, the FAA flying points are just guidelines at this time. And, one of them is that you must fly in visual line of site (VLOS). How many people really do that? There is a great aftermarket for boosted antennas etc. Concerning the goggles, I have a pair of HDMI Headplay goggles. I fly around mountains sometimes and even if I can still visually see my drone, I can't determine the proximity to the mountains and I require these goggles which allow me to to be in the aircraft, or in first person view. This does not negate the FAA guidelines as there is no possible way that a manned helicopter could or should be as close as I am able to fly near these mountains. If you think I should not be flying close to the mountains, I would ask you; Is it okay when there is a need in search and rescue operations. Just trying to think of your rebuttal to my thoughts. There are many situations where goggles have there place for drones where manned aircraft cannot fly and the drone does not pose a risk to them. Thanks for our point of view, these are mine.

that guy is just trying to get a lot of views for youtube ck on him comes up with all kinds of stupid things

That is your opinion which you are entitled to and he is entitled to get as many views on YouTube as he can get. It seems to me that you are using a lot of your knowledge and mostly your time trying to put him down. If you feel that way, why don't you just ignore him and use your talents for the good threads? Best to choose your battles and use your knowledge wisely.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik