What DJI Got Wrong With the Phantom 4

That was a very professional video. You should be at tv reporter. .

Your opinion is certainly allowed. That being said, so is an opposing opinion.

To add the hdmi out would cost DJI more to manufacture. I'd venture that 95% of those that own one never would use an HDMI output. Those that might have the option to buy DJI HDMI output module, as you did.

The outer glass on the camera is actually a removable filter, which provides the lens protection from UV, dirt, pollen

The vertical collision sensors and ground height sensors would have to be moved onto the lower legs if DJI were to install a gimbal shield or guard. This potentially would make the AC less reliable, having these sensors in closer proximity to the ground, and also increase the likelihood of damage to the sensor wiring as it would have to wires external to the hull or body of the aircraft.

I have not heard of any reports of batteries becoming shorted, although anything is possible.

The battery being used is no more likely to burst into flames upon charging than any other well engineered lipo battery and charging system, such as used in many electronics. They all have some sort of thermal, over current and overcharge protection to minimize such risk. My MacBook Pro and iPad have huge batteries, with more capacity than the p4 battery, yet I feel no need to charge in a charging bag.

My 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the feedback and compliment on the video, I appreciate the conversation. It's one of the reasons I did the clip. As for the clarifications, what frustrated me about the HDMI missing on the P4 is that DJI already offers an upgrade board that you can replace the stock board on the controller for about $100. I totally understand that that would be hard to justify on the P3S and P3A with their lower price points but was hoping that they would install it on the P4 considering the higher price. The difference in cost would have been minimal for DJI. I know that there aren't a ton of people using FPV goggles today with the P4 but since an investment like this will last me a few years, it would have been nice to have it in there in case I need it later. I actually did the upgrade to be able to use an external monitor in the back of the car for the wife and kids to watch the flight and they love it.
I understand that the outer glass on the camera is replaceable but DJI doesn't actually have a part number yet for this piece for the P4 so you have to buy one for the P3 at a cost of $38. I was suggesting that they provide a thin removable lens cover that slid over this stock lens to protect it like a screen protector for phones. This would allow me to remove it when it got scratched and replace it for a few dollars.
The gimbal guard is an easy one and I know it's not for everyone. I wandered into a explosive conversation earlier about hand-catching or landing the drone so I know the subject is controversial. I use a gimbal guard on my P3A and P4 and they provide a little extra insurance when landing on gravel or tall grass. The one on the P4 is designed to not affect the gimbal or sensors and works great. I know its a personal choice but it bugs me to have to buy it as an aftermarket accessory.
The LiPo battery is a potential problem, but less so with the Phantom. DJI does a great job of protecting the battery during charging with their on-board electronics to prevent overcharging and shorts. The danger comes when these are being transported and get gouged or nicked to expose the chemicals. There are a lot of reports on LiPo fires and what's worse is that its a chemical fire that expands rapidly and can't be doused with a standard home fire extinguisher. I'm not saying it's likely but I feel like DJI has a responsibility to mitigate that danger with an inexpensive LiPo safety bag (another aftermarket accessory). With the cost of P4 batteries hovering around $150, a $3 bag should come with the box.
Having said all of this, I love this drone and fly it almost every day. Being an engineer, I am always looking at how things can be a little better with the next version and am hoping that these things change with the P5 sometime next year. Either way, thanks for the respectful response.

I think the much more likely change to the P5 will be 360 degree collision avoidance to compete with the newly released Yuneec Typhoon H Pro RealSense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all i have to comment is that I find it odd you have a channel and go through all the production but don't even have a dedicated mic? the audio is brutal... lol

how about landing gear little further apart think that would make landings better

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Dji should have hdmi standard on the p4, it shoots in 4k. The gimbal gard may cause the bird to rock on landing I prefer the way it is, I sometimes have to hand catch but I prefer to land the bird myself. The lipo batteries can be dangerous and that said most if not all charge are cell phones by our lipo powered laptops, then we carry our phones in our pocket all day. The p4 battery internal charge controller does not permit to charge if the battery is hot and when charging the battery does not get hot or even warm. This very low C charging rate reduces the chances of a battery fail. The p4 comes with a uv filter to protect the lense, the 4 8 and 16 filters are more expensive then aftermarket but fit better and are lighter, thats why I got them. I am Candian and I paid 30% more than my US bothers and still think this bird is not very expensive for this technology I can fly.

Reactions: flpholt
I enjoyed your video very mush. All very good ideals and I too wish that DJI had included an HDMI output as well. In fact it was a buying point that had me looking elsewhere. In the end I just dint want to wait for the new “H model” to come out. However my son did wait and his new hex is on the way. I on the other hand am very pleased with my Phantom 4, it is truly a beautiful machine and I have had zero problems in the six weeks that I have been using it. Although I did add a lens protector and I also use Litchi. I just don’t know if I want to spend the $1 00 for a HDMI output or not and I’m looking at buying a gimbal guard as I think it’s just prudent to do so even if my landings are quite soft

Thank you

Keith

all i have to comment is that I find it odd you have a channel and go through all the production but don't even have a dedicated mic? the audio is brutal... lol
I agree with you and I'm still learning. I'll add a lav for future clips to make it a little clearer. Was it really that bad?

I enjoyed your video very mush. All very good ideals and I too wish that DJI had included an HDMI output as well. In fact it was a buying point that had me looking elsewhere. In the end I just dint want to wait for the new “H model” to come out. However my son did wait and his new hex is on the way. I on the other hand am very pleased with my Phantom 4, it is truly a beautiful machine and I have had zero problems in the six weeks that I have been using it. Although I did add a lens protector and I also use Litchi. I just don’t know if I want to spend the $1 00 for a HDMI output or not and I’m looking at buying a gimbal guard as I think it’s just prudent to do so even if my landings are quite soft

Thank you

Keith
Keith,

Thanks for your post and I was careful to start and end the discussion by pointing out that I LOVE the P4. I have been flying DJI for a while and think the P4 is a near-perfect machine. All I was trying to do was start a discussion on what could be improved on with the next generation P5. Admittedly, these are minor complaints on an otherwise excellent drone. I just had to get them off my chest and feel better now that I have. The gimbal guard is an easy add-on and will provide a little extra protection for landing.

P4 props are designed to break easily anyways (maybe to prevent moror dmg?), so no risk of losing fingers. I wouldn't handcatch it with carbon props.

Reactions: Sinisalo
P4 props are designed to break easily anyways (maybe to prevent moror dmg?), so no risk of losing fingers. I wouldn't handcatch it with carbon props.

Stock props or Carbon, doesn't matter. It you let the tips of either touch your skin, you're going to get hurt. I had a cheap styro P51 Mustang model fly across the kitchen table at me. One minute later I was on my way to the hospital for 10 stitches. The prop cut a series of zebra stripes up my right arm. That model was no where near as powerful as a phantom. They may be designed to break, but maybe not till they hit a bone.

Before anybody starts dragging out their soapbox and polishing up their favourite pontification, yes, this was a very stupid thing to do.No, it won't ever happen again. No, I'm not a moron, at the time , I was a noob at worst.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The title of the video/post is condescending.
There is a thing at play here called market segmentation.
The Phantoms are low-tier segmented DJI products with further sub-segmentation.

The title of the video/post is condescending.
There is a thing at play here called market segmentation.
The Phantoms are low-tier segmented DJI products with further sub-segmentation.

Agreed. The kinds of criticism made by the OP generally fall into one of two categories: alleged design flaws that could have been corrected at no cost, and extra stuff that should have been included for free.

The former seem, generally, to be predicated on the assumption that the critic knows better than the designers; we see it every time that new products are released, whether they be iPhones or Phantoms, and it is mostly pointless, uninformed speculation.

The latter are just the desire not to pay for functionality. If they would just have added this board here, this component there, another element to the optical system - it would hardly cost anything and given the aircraft is so expensive blah, blah, blah,.. Well firstly, the P4 is not expensive. Anyone who thinks it is expensive should probably not be buying it since it is a relatively high-risk asset. Secondly, the cost of adding stuff is not negligible, both due to the necessary miniturization and because it all adds weight to the aircraft that then degrades performance. Thirdly, DJI is not a charity, and its goal is not to supply products to customers as cheaply as possible - its goal is to maximise profit, so it charges what the market will support. And you can bet that they have a much better handle on that than any of the armchair critics on the forums.

Last edited:
P4 props adesigned ned to break easily anyways (maybe to prevent moror dmg?), so no risk of losing fingers. I wouldn't handcatch it with carbon props.
Unless the P4 props are different than previous models...they are not designed to break at slight impact. When new and flying my Phantoms, I have clipped a few branches and chewed through some grass and leaves. The props barely showed any problem let alone breaking. The impact would have hurt some fingers and
If face...a lot worse. Where did you get your data for P4 props that break before injury.?

There's a reposted video of a Phantom being used to chop up various fruits, veggies, eggs, etc. I was surprised to see it cut through a sizeable carrot more than once. Not saying it will remove a finger but carrots can be tough (it did not appear to be cooked as it still contained the 'leafy' top).

There's a reposted video of a Phantom being used to chop up various fruits, veggies, eggs, etc. I was surprised to see it cut through a sizeable carrot more than once. Not saying it will remove a finger but carrots can be tough (it did not appear to be cooked as it still contained the 'leafy' top).

It was probably one of those boneless carrots.

Just as in anything else in life if you don't do it right, there will be a price to pay!
Hand catching if done correctly is not dangerous at all. Please don't bother going through the "what ifs "

I hand catch and hand release, none of which if done correctly is dangerous. Jumping out of a plane and pulling your back up chute instead of main can also be dangerous!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Op, the points that you are making just don't make sense, look at one:
"Gimbal guard will protect landing on gravel or tall grass" well the tall grass would have to be tall exactly where the gimbal guard is and no where else, same for the gravel. Btw, I have a gimbal guard myself!

"HDMI should be part of the p4 as it is more expensive". Just as car manufactures and others, dji makes good profit on addons and upgrades. Btw p4 is the same price as p3 when it first came out.

Does the go pro and such come with a lens protector as standard.

anyways, you get what I mean!

I wish you good luck and all the best.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic