What computer is everyone using to edit 4K video?

I agree, cannot compare hard specs like pc vs Mac . If anything it seems like some inexpensive PC companies inflate their specifications instead.
The parts used in Macs are exactly the same hardware as PC(s). A looong time ago apple used powerpc processors and those times the hardware was different. I was simply referring to the operating system.

With that said a thing that Mac can't PC in is upgrades and customization. You can't choose your processor, video card, or motherboard. The couple options they are is what you get.
If you wanted a GTX 980ti with a i7-4790k you couldn't do that. Even though technically the i7-4790k should work on the mac. The BIOS doesn't support it because of Apple's own choice. This limits your hardware options.
Not sure about "PC companies" cause many just build their own PC. ;) Apple's users can't do that.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Currently using an Asus G55SW (32GB Ram, 3GB VRAM). Premiere Pro CC and After Effects CC.

I shoot and edit for a living, and have used everything under the sun. Started on a PC with Discrete Edit, moved to a Mac with FCP, and finally moved back to a PC with Premiere a couple of years ago. Haven't looked back since. (I've used Sony's Vegas and Avid as well, they are both good).

With that said, IMO, I just like what Adobe has done over the past few years. And while you can use their software on either a PC or Mac, you can get a better spec'ed PC for half the price of a top of the line Macbook Pro. Say what you want about the operating systems (though Win 7 is as stable as can be for me), no one can really argue the price point on hardware.

If you go Asus, stick to their ROG line, they are very hard to beat for their price.

Reactions: Falcon900
While technically you can install OSX on a PC it is a daunting task that requires coordination of hardware etc. As an experienced hackintosh I can tell you that it's difficult to get them working with the stability and reliability the comes with a real mac.

So I would say you can install many OS(s) you want on PC... except OSX as it's not going to be fully stable.

Dissagree. For €1000 i would save by getting a pc instead of mac, i would make it work exactly as it should. Also, i am a linux user.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Falcon900
I used to be a Windows pc person and I even built my own a couple of years ago and overclocked it, it is still fairly quick to today's standards. I changed to Mac a couple of months ago now as I was fed up of the constant windows updates and security software interfering with everything. With my iMac I can start it and be using photoshop within 20 seconds. I know Mac has its problems but I'm not sorry I changed. Yes a PC with better specs can be built for half the price but it's price retention is shocking. My pc cost £1300 to build and within 12 months it was worth about £600. Macs hold their money a lot better so you can sell a Mac 12 months later and upgrade to a new model for only a couple of hundred £ which is what most pc guys spend on graphics card at least. I'm not against home built PCs but I'm happy with Mac.

Last edited:
I used to be a Windows pc person and I even built my own a couple of years ago and overclocked it, it is still fairly quick to today's standards. I changed to Mac a couple of months ago now as I was fed up of the constant windows updates and security software interfering with everything. With my iMac I can start it and be using photoshop within 20 seconds. I know Mac has its problems but I'm not sorry I changed. Yes a PC with better specs can be built for half the price but it's price retention is shocking. My pc cost £1300 to build and within 12 months it was worth about £600. Macs hold their money a lot better so you can sell a Mac 12 months later and upgrade to a new model for only a couple of hundred £ which is what most pc guys spend on graphics card at least. I'm not against home built PCs but I'm happy with Mac.

Well if you game on your pc, you shouldn't go with a mac. Consider combatibility, price, and the ability to upgrade easier and cheaper. It depends on how you want to use your machine.

Well if you game on your pc, you shouldn't go with a mac. Consider combatibility, price, and the ability to upgrade easier and cheaper. It depends on how you want to use your machine.

I agree but the OP was asking the question "What computer is everyone using to edit 4K"
You can also boot camp a Mac to play pc games.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Will this be sufficient to edit 4K?
  • 27" Retina 5K IPS Display
  • 5120 x 2880 Screen Resolution
  • 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 (Skylake)
  • 8GB of 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM
  • 1TB 7200 rpm HDD
  • AMD Radeon R9 M380 GPU (2GB GDDR5)
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
  • Thunderbolt 2 + USB 3.0
or

• 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 Quad-Core (Haswell)
  • 8GB of 1600Hz DDR3 RAM
  • 1TB 5400rpm Hard Drive
  • Integrated Intel Iris Pro Graphics
  • 21.5" LED-Backlit IPS Display
  • Full HD 1920 x 1080 Native Resolution
  • 802.11ac/a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
  • Thunderbolt, USB 3.0, SDXC Card Reader

Thanks

Flipper

Will this be sufficient to edit 4K?
  • 27" Retina 5K IPS Display
  • 5120 x 2880 Screen Resolution
  • 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 (Skylake)
  • 8GB of 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM
  • 1TB 7200 rpm HDD
  • AMD Radeon R9 M380 GPU (2GB GDDR5)
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
  • Thunderbolt 2 + USB 3.0
or

• 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 Quad-Core (Haswell)
  • 8GB of 1600Hz DDR3 RAM
  • 1TB 5400rpm Hard Drive
  • Integrated Intel Iris Pro Graphics
  • 21.5" LED-Backlit IPS Display
  • Full HD 1920 x 1080 Native Resolution
  • 802.11ac/a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
  • Thunderbolt, USB 3.0, SDXC Card Reader

Thanks

Flipper
I like the top one best if the Skylake is a quad core. You can find out here, once you get the CPU part number. Skylake is 1 generation newer than Haswell. If it were me I'd get 32GB DRAM and a 6TB rotating drive along with a 500GB SSD to boot the OS from and have your applications installed. An SSD will make your system fly, but the 6TB drive you'll need for the files. 4K video will fill up a 1TB drive real quick. And I don't advise using an external to archive video. One time I was transferring files to an external rotating drive and it accidentally fell to the floor. YES, the drive was toast, and all my previously transferred video was GONE. So don't go there, believe me.

All the horsepower in the world won't help unless your video card supports the necessary requirements such as:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Always check the compatibility of your editing software with your video card to ensure that GPU rendering and multiple GPUs are supported. A comparable, compatible AMD or NVIDIA GPU can be used. The GeForce cards listed above are a baseline. While many GPUs have greater video rendering power than system CPUs and RAM, remember GPUs need enough power to drive your system display monitors in addition to rendering video.
When video is good then the memory 8 gigs or more and a fast I core 7 CPU then helps. Care with some AMD processors because of the lack of support for PCIe 3.0 in most AMD motherboards,
Put it together and you can edit 4 k all day.

Would this work I found this computer second hand for 700 bucks.
  • 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5-6400 Quad-Core
  • 12GB of 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM
  • Integrated Intel HD Graphics 530
  • 1TB 7200 rpm Hybrid Drive
  • SuperMulti DVD Burner, 5-in-1 Card Slot
  • 1 x Gigabit Ethernet Port
  • 7.1-Channel Sonic Master Audio
  • USB 3.1 / USB 3.0 / USB 2.0 / HDMI / VGA
  • 300W Power Supply
  • Windows 10 Home
Just not sure about the graphics card.

Flipper

Currently using an Asus G55SW (32GB Ram, 3GB VRAM). Premiere Pro CC and After Effects CC.

I shoot and edit for a living, and have used everything under the sun. Started on a PC with Discrete Edit, moved to a Mac with FCP, and finally moved back to a PC with Premiere a couple of years ago. Haven't looked back since. (I've used Sony's Vegas and Avid as well, they are both good).

With that said, IMO, I just like what Adobe has done over the past few years. And while you can use their software on either a PC or Mac, you can get a better spec'ed PC for half the price of a top of the line Macbook Pro. Say what you want about the operating systems (though Win 7 is as stable as can be for me), no one can really argue the price point on hardware.

If you go Asus, stick to their ROG line, they are very hard to beat for their price.

I know your post is a couple months old but I too use premiere pro. Do you convert the dji footage to mpeg2 prior to importing it? Also, what are you using for export settings for 4k and 1080p respectively? I imported a 3 minute clip from the dji at 1080p which was 1.5gb, color corrected it, and when I exported it I got a 35gb file! Does shooting mp4 vs mov make a difference here? I shot mov.

MyCorner_zps4kfoalut.jpg

LG UM95
i7 2700K
GTX 980Ti
250GB SSD OS
6TB NAS (files/media/games)
16GB @ 1866
Premiere Pro CC

Old tech., but it works. Looking forward to upgrading to Broadwell- E. =D

The parts used in Macs are exactly the same hardware as PC(s). A looong time ago apple used powerpc processors and those times the hardware was different. I was simply referring to the operating system.

With that said a thing that Mac can't PC in is upgrades and customization. You can't choose your processor, video card, or motherboard. The couple options they are is what you get.
If you wanted a GTX 980ti with a i7-4790k you couldn't do that. Even though technically the i7-4790k should work on the mac. The BIOS doesn't support it because of Apple's own choice. This limits your hardware options.
Not sure about "PC companies" cause many just build their own PC. ;) Apple's users can't do that.

You can custom order Mac's. I always do.

I recently picked up a PC from auction for $350

Dell Optiplex 990 Small form factor
i7 2600 3.4gz CPU
16 GB DDR3 Ram 1333
500 GB Seagate HD (Which I will replace with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB)
Radeon HD 6450 GPU

This setup plays & renders 4k extremely well considering the graphics card is just a step up from intergrated graphics
$400 all in which included another 8GB Ram

I recently picked up a PC from auction for $350

Dell Optiplex 990 Small form factor
i7 2600 3.4gz CPU
16 GB DDR3 Ram 1333
500 GB Seagate HD (Which I will replace with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB)
Radeon HD 6450 GPU

This setup plays & renders 4k extremely well considering the graphics card is just a step up from intergrated graphics
$400 all in which included another 8GB Ram

"Extremly well 4K renders" with only one physical HDD (OS,Project, Capture and Exports on same disc) installed on system, and Radeon HD 6450?

Come on...really?
;)

I agree, cannot compare hard specs like pc vs Mac . If anything it seems like some inexpensive PC companies inflate their specifications instead.
the difference is that the macs have cheaper hardware, and everything about them is smaller, except the price!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4