What Are Your Favorite Techniques for Filming?

Reaction score
I'll share two of my favorite below and how I achieve them. Be sure to add your own!

I personally like slow and steady straight line shots. They prove to be smooth, and, if held at a constant speed, tend to be pleasing to the eye: The way I achieve them is by flying out to the end of my shot and then putting the drone in reverse and flying it back to the original point of origin. If I want the footage to go the other way, I simply reverse it in post. Here's an example of using just that shot for PSA: Straight Line

Another one I find I gravitate towards is using the tilt of the camera coupled with the drone rising or descending. It tends to up the cinematic feel and offers some depth to your scene. Here's a video that utilizes the tilt and lift method as well as the straight line shot: Tilt and Lift (click the proof of concept link to the right)

Of course, finding the right music that you can properly obtain a sync license for is difficult, but worth it if you want to stay legal.

So, what are some shots that you like? How long did it take you to get them down without having to do a bunch of takes?

I'm newbie since only have a couple of flights (4-5) and have seen opportunity in my videos after editing but luck has yield short periods of good footage. Please take a look and feedback is appreciated.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm newbie since only have a couple of flights (4-5) and have seen opportunity in my videos after editing but luck has yield short periods of good footage. Please take a look and feedback is appreciated.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's my opinion, so you can take it or leave it :) I'd keep practicing and get more time behind the sticks. In the interim, I'd also look up the rule of thirds and see how you might apply that to your shots. In addition to that, perhaps scout the area, look up the sunset/sunrise conditions to see if they will be good (read: interesting) and come up with a shot list. In your video, I wanted you to fly over, but in a straight line, that wooden dock that you all were standing by and then as you approach the end, ascent while tilting the camera ever so slowly to bring into view the city skyline. Be thinking pro-actively, and creatively about your shots as well as what you are trying to communicate. Those three things will go a long way in making your final product one that people will enjoy viewing.

When you look at a video from someone else, you are for the most part objective. When you look at your own footage, you are subjective in that you have a lot more context tied to it than anyone who wasn't there. I always do a rough cut then have someone else that wasn't on the shoot to go through and sift it so that the uninteresting clips get removed. That helps to ensure your video will have the potential to be appealing to others. Then be sure to keep things smooth and fluid. Jerky movements tend to scream "amatuer". Avoid those and cut them out in post.

Just some things to think on. I hope they help. Keep on learning and flying!

Reactions: JMR and Electro32

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers