Phantom 4 Std: video is great, but stills are blurry

Reaction score
Hello! Sorry if I should have posted this in Photos and Video sub forum, but this has to do with the Phantom 4 Standard's camera. For some reason, the camera shooting stills doesn't do so hot. It's like it's slightly unfocused. The clarity and sharpness aren't there at all (at least on my P4). Video is awesome! When you switch between still photo and video ... in the Go 4 app, I can clearly see a big difference on my iPad screen...and also when I d/l the files and look at them on my PC, video is super crisp, photos are not even close to video sharpness. I wonder why? Am I really doing something wrong?

Here's a Hyperlapse I did recently. I put the drone into Tap Fly mode, with a picture being shot once every 2 seconds. I used software to stitch all the photos into a 24 fps video. It's short being only 8 seconds long....but can't you clearly see what I mean... The clarity of the video is just not there. Maybe it's just me. Even in day light, it's the same...photos aren't very good on my P4, but video is great.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

The low light pictures, that you provided, are the P4 at its worst. One of its only drawbacks. The pro/adv have an improved Camera that does not have this problem. Could you provide a couple stills with better lighting. It would help some of the camera buffs, here, to be more helpful. Good luck.

Reactions: Havasu Tom
Hi
There are a lot of setting that can checked and adjusted, I like to think of my P4 as a flying camera, so that things like: ISO, AE (auto exposure),and shutter speed and for video frames/second and resolution can affect photo quality.
Some information here:

Also some other resources:

Are you only talking about images captured during low light dusk? Have you tried in full daylight? Either way, there are a lot of settings to review and I can't offer any advice until I see them.

Also experiment with HD channels,,try manual and select another channel,,auto selects best channel between the 7 available but jumps around so much it might like a preset channel instead

Hey guys,

First off, thanks a ton for the responses. Lots of wisdom around here!
Okay, see attached. I attached two different photos that were done at 6pm tonight, and two "snapshots" of the EXACT scene but from a 4k video. Make sense?

Resort_Still - a picture of an apartment complex as a regular photo
Resort_4k_snapshot - a single frame (a snapshot) from a 4k video.

Tower_still - a picture of a tower done as a regular photo.
Tower_4k_snapshot - a snapshot of a single frame from 4k video

Do you guys see it? The "photos" are nowhere near as clear, crisp and focused as the "snapshots". Maybe I'm crazy.

PS: all shots were taken with default settings, no filters were used and no post-production at all.

Again, I think the videos (1080p or 4k) are awesome my P4, the stills... not! Any comments, suggestions, opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Resort_4k_snapshot.jpgResort_Still.JPGTower_4k_snapshot.jpgTower_still.JPG
Scott

Hi
I would try a photo and video snapshot around mid-day and post the images as you have.
The two stills are both at full aperture (most light gathering) and the shutter speed is at 1/400.
I would be temped to up the ISO setting to 200 or even 400 (max), for lower light shots, I have the ISO set on my P4 at 200.

Reactions: shuggins
Video frames are often a shorter shutter speed than stills in low light. That's probably why they are sharper. First let your drone hover for around five or more seconds at the spot you are going to shoot from. That helps to stabilize it a bit. Stay at ISO 100 unless you absolutely need a faster shutter speed. Open the aperture more (try wide open, that is, the smallest aperture number your camera has. You may lose a bit of depth of field but unless your drone is very close to the structure, it might not make a noticeable difference.

Reactions: shuggins
Can you check your shutter speed? Anything slower than 1/60 of a second is bound to pick up some small vibration from the aircraft. Try to aim for 1/120 or quicker if you can. Can your check your EXIF information on the photos you posted and post it here? Should be able to pull that information from any decent photo app on the computer. It will show what the various settings were for the stills you captured.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers