What are the must haves if I buy a P4Pro?

Reaction score
Looking at getting a P4Pro soon and wondering what extras I need? It's been 2 years since I looked at Phantoms but I remember that a gimbal guard on the landing gear used to be recommended. Is that still a thing and is there a best one? Obviously extra batteries to be able to fly at least an hour. Things I'd like to have on hand when I get the quad. Thanks.

Check out my must-haves list here.

Check out my must-haves list here.
You pretty much covered it all there msinger! Could add extra battery charger or multi-battery charger if wanted. I also really like the Titan rubber transmitter stick covers for your thumb. 10 bucks I think.

I've got a couple of Reaktor 300W/20A chargers. Can I use those or do the Phantom batteries require something special?
Msinger Help! Not sure on that man. You would have to solder on plugs that fit in the P4P batts. right? Thats plenty of power for sure. The stock chargers are 100 watts.

The connector would surely be a problem. Even after you had that, I'm not sure if that charger would damage the batteries. It would be safer to use a DJI charger or one of these 3rd party chargers since they are known to work well.

The connector would surely be a problem. Even after you had that, I'm not sure if that charger would damage the batteries. It would be safer to use a DJI charger or one of these 3rd party chargers since they are known to work well.
Thank you sir and I would agree that on batteries I want to be as nice to them as possible as far as following specs on charging! I just use two stock DJI chargers with 5 batteries. Ready to go in an hour or so. Plus I have the DJI Mobile Charger as well for out in the field. But it is pretty slow!

Reactions: tpallred
Looking at getting a P4Pro soon and wondering what extras I need? It's been 2 years since I looked at Phantoms but I remember that a gimbal guard on the landing gear used to be recommended. Is that still a thing and is there a best one? Obviously extra batteries to be able to fly at least an hour. Things I'd like to have on hand when I get the quad. Thanks.

Depends really on what you'll be doing with it. For me, starting out in drones I sort of emulated the Mavic Pro "Fly More" kit that I bought in Jan when I bought the P4P in late March. This gives me a solid "magic hour" of flying. (That there have been damned few magic hours of late is another subject).
  • 2 extra batteries
  • Battery charging station (3 batts)
  • 2 extra sets of props (overkill - I didn't realize that it came with 8 props - so now I have 12).
  • 1 ND (8) - should have gotten the 16 perhaps.
  • Care Refresh (ordered after the drone was received but before first flight).
  • Skin (Decalgirl)
Now I'm looking for a bag for it all. Using the styro case presently (an iPad 4 mini fits in the front slot perfectly). Broke the latch on the first day (wind blew the empty case off the trunk of the car :oops: ). Epoxied a knob in place. I like the styro case - I can put on the props while it's sitting in the case in the back of my car. But it's not a long term solution. Bags in the US are affordable. Here in Canada it's a ripoff. Amazon sellers in the US can't take Canadian orders.

As to the gimbal guard that would depend on where / how you fly.

Two years ago there were lots of posts about the fragility of the gimbal and multiple people were offering solutions to protect and/or fortify it because it was the most likely point of failure with anything other than a perfect landing. I went with another quad 2 years ago because of the drip, drip, drip of hardware and software issues and DJI's lack of concern in fixing them. Is that still the case? It seems like the P4P is the prosumer platform for pics and vids and multispectral and doesn't have a real competitor in that space, whatever warts there may be.

Two years ago there were lots of posts about the fragility of the gimbal and multiple people were offering solutions to protect and/or fortify it because it was the most likely point of failure with anything other than a perfect landing. I went with another quad 2 years ago because of the drip, drip, drip of hardware and software issues and DJI's lack of concern in fixing them. Is that still the case? It seems like the P4P is the prosumer platform for pics and vids and multispectral and doesn't have a real competitor in that space, whatever warts there may be.

The gimbal "seems" fragile in build despite its responsiveness in actual use. If you fly through some bushes or land on a pointy rock I wouldn't be surprised if it got badly damaged. The issue of the ribbon cables is reported here and there...

So if you feel a gimbal guard is a good idea for you ...

The gimble on the phantom 4 pro seems very robust and in my opinion, the toughest gimble out of all dji consumer products.

The must have that is most overlooked is a lanyard for your remote controller. If I dropped and broke my controller and tablet. It would cost me over 700 bucks to replace them. And a lanyard also helps you keep your fine motor skills from degrading over a long flight session.

Agree. Made one by putting a tie-wrap through the controller lug and using an old computer bag strap for the shoulder harness. Just needed to shorten the strap a lot.

The must have that is most overlooked is a lanyard for your remote controller. If I dropped and broke my controller and tablet. It would cost me over 700 bucks to replace them. And a lanyard also helps you keep your fine motor skills from degrading over a long flight session.

One was included with my Yuneec Q500 so I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks. My biggest issue with lanyards is that when I let go of the controller the front of it touches my body which leads to unanticipated stick movements. One of those shoulder harnesses with a shelf for the controller would be nice except they look heavy.

It looks like the Ipad Mini 4 or the Ipad Pro 9.7" would be the best tablets. I like that the Pro is the brightest but just wondering if it would be too big, bulky, and heavy. And it looks like I need the cellular version for Follow Me and to reset the home location. Other than more is better, how much RAM is needed?

It looks like the Ipad Mini 4 or the Ipad Pro 9.7" would be the best tablets. I like that the Pro is the brightest but just wondering if it would be too big, bulky, and heavy. And it looks like I need the cellular version for Follow Me and to reset the home location.

I have the iPad 4 mini and it seems "about right" but bigger would not hurt. Not sure I'd want the 9.7" - but extra brightness always welcome of course.

(Edit: I say, I say, that was a mini iPad 4)....

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.