What are some drone Tips/Laws in the Philippines?

Hi, everybody, first unmanned aerial vehicle (uav) is very popular, no matter in which country or region, with an unmanned aerial vehicle (uav) is very good, but there is no chance to candid or monitor our privacy, we are not infringe upon other people's time, also need to protect our own privacy, using drone jammer will be the best solution, do you think?

Good for you. Things may be different now however you needed written approval to operate the drone prior to entering the country on earlier occasions or they wouldn’t let you leave the airport with it. You also faced the prospect of being charged duty on entry. Perhaps you were just lucky?

As you wrote you have no personal knowledge just going on hearsay. Perhaps I was lucky I only travel to the Philippines several times a year and have been doing so since the mid 1980's. You could have googled current rules before you posted telling people not to bother bringing their drones. What you wrote below is just bollocks and intended to do some scaremongering over things you know nothing about.

"Forget registration. Leave your UAV at home. It will likely be seized at the airport before you clear customs and immigration."

As you wrote you have no personal knowledge just going on hearsay. Perhaps I was lucky I only travel to the Philippines several times a year and have been doing so since the mid 1980's. You could have googled current rules before you posted telling people not to bother bringing their drones. What you wrote below is just bollocks and intended to do some scaremongering over things you know nothing about.

"Forget registration. Leave your UAV at home. It will likely be seized at the airport before you clear customs and immigration."
It is only hearsay to the extent it isn’t substatiatied by evidence or the accounts of other parties.

Perhaps you should google.

You will find what I said was correct, if not currently certainly with respect to the not so distant past.

My comment related specifically to potential issues bringing a drone into the country. I relied on the accounts of others posted in this forum and elsewhere and to circulars/press releases issued by CAAP and customers in the Philippines.

Numerous people have detailed issues with Phillipines customs on entry with drones. The laws may have changed however there is little question there were significant complications not so long ago.

As to scaremongering- you could know nothing of my intent. The fact you might have travelled with a drone ignorant to the laws and without issues is of little relavence to the potential risks/issues that might present for others.

Have lived in Asia since 1987, USA Citizen w/ private pilot single engine land + high performance rating flying since 1978 (been flying before driving), lived in phils for total of 18 years with flights all over the country. Some time ago started flying phantoms, P3A and P4s all over the country, so far about 300sqkm of land surveys with about 170km of beach front land surveys thrown in. Flown from land and sea all over the Philippines, guess I am lucky in all that time no crashes or other mishaps. Carried my drones all over in hard sided backpacks as carry on, but prefer to check in my gear using secured pelicans.
Yes there are rules here and you can find them on the CAAP site if you care to look. In all my flying I have NEVER been stopped or questioned by any official. Like anything here though if an official wants to stop you they will, I find often times they just make up the rules as they go along. Usually a smile (and rarely a P500 note - about USD10.00) takes care of everything.
I have never traveled internationally with my gear, again here in the Philippines it is hit or miss with customs. Usually they don't stop you if you dress neatly (I always wear a jacket and tie when traveling internationally) and smile and nod. Even if they stop you if it's for personal use and not resale, they shouldn't charge you. Most entry airports here like Clark, Manila, or Cebu have long ago shed the tourist shakedowns in favor of facilitating tourism - which is major income here. Just don't look like Osama's brother and you should be OK.

If you want more details feel free to drop me a message.

Have lived in Asia since 1987, USA Citizen w/ private pilot single engine land + high performance rating flying since 1978 (been flying before driving), lived in phils for total of 18 years with flights all over the country.

It’s been less than a year since the Philippines changed their laws, so a lot of people don’t realize things have improved. PA Customs now understands the change and shouldn’t be a problem bringing in HOBBY drones.

I just spent 16 months working in the Philippines with no issues with my P3 and P4. Customs couldn't care less and I managed to fly in metro Manila in a couple of spots and even taught one of the local PNP guys how to fly in a small park. Most of my time was spent in north Quezon and you could guarantee a crowd whenever you unpacked the drone, particularly in some of the rural areas. Obviously use your common sense in some of the touristy places and if challenged by the PNP, do as you're told and pack up immediately. There are rules and regulations that differ on the day and the area where you fly. If you want to fly commercially, forget it as the paperwork and beaurocracy is a nightmare.
hey! hi. i'm just going to ask if what are the rules NOW in the Philippines? do I have to register? and how about the custom are they need something to show like license? Thanks

hey! hi. i'm just going to ask if what are the rules NOW in the Philippines? do I have to register? and how about the custom are they need something to show like license? Thanks
Assuming there have been no changes in the last twelve or so months, as a hobbyist there are no issues with the exception of national and sometimes local rules to abide by. As I mentioned earlier, bring it in as carry on luggage (usual requirements i.e. Batteries) and you should be fine. Fly responsibly and abide by any directions, sometimes erratic given by the local authorities if you should come across them.

ohh okay. one more question did you fly with the connecting flights or direct flight?

I'd suggest Mindanao is off limits due to the troubles at the moment.
Much of Mindanao is perfectly safe - in fact some areas are safer than other parts of Philippines, especially with martial law in effect. I've been living here for more than ten years.

Also, I would say that there is no problem with hobby drones - I've seen the Mavic Pro on open sale in several shops. Just follow the obvious rules when flying, although most people here won't have a clue what the rules are.

Much of Mindanao is perfectly safe - in fact some areas are safer than other parts of Philippines, especially with martial law in effect. I've been living here for more than ten years.

I get what you're saying, but I have to chuckle with a reference that it's safer now that they've imposed martial law! Martial law kind of implies that it's not safe, or they wouldn't need martial law. US State Department has a level 2 advisory about travel to Mindanao, which is not the worst, but still an advisory.

Philippines Travel Advisory

Forget registration. Leave your UAV at home. It will likely be seized at the airport before you clear customs and immigration.
Things have definitely changed lol, on two separate occasions I brought in three drones. Of course these were purchased at Dubai Duty Free and were more toys than serious drones, so maybe that made a difference.

Also, I would say that there is no problem with hobby drones - I've seen the Mavic Pro on open sale in several shops. Just follow the obvious rules when flying, although most people here won't have a clue what the rules are.
I visit Mindanao at least twice a year, and I agree, it's safe, it was only one small area that is the problem area, and I hardly notice any changes since martial law went into effect.

I've been flying all over the Philippines for about a month now. Absolutely no problem, except for launching from certain private property, aka, hotel grounds. Hotels are really freaked out by drones for some reason. I launch from parking lots, from McDonalds lawns, pretty much anywhere I can find that has a clear reach of sky. Went to Taal Volcano today, and all I did was ask the guide if I could fly, and she helped me find good launch sites. Was all over Palawan a while back, and the boat drivers, guides and tour reps all were more than helpful with getting my done in the air. However, it's now so drone friendly that I actually run into drone congestion! Jumped off a boat at a beach one day and had three DJI drones hovering overhead when I hit the sand. NOTE: Seven Commando Beach near El Nido seems to have some kind of drone jammer in operation. I tried to fly my Mavic Pro and the Go 4 app kept disconnecting. I talked with several other DJI pilots there and everyone was having the same problem, so it wasn't just me. Otherwise, flying in the Philippines is clear sailing. Enjoy!

P.S., the Philippines has some of the MOST spectacular scenery for photo and video capture that I have ever encountered. Absolutely fantastic!

I just flew in on 13 May Cathay Pacific from HK to Cebu.

Again there are no issues with bringing in a drone. Mine is in a DJI hardcase with drone stickers on it. Customs office look at as I walk past and exit.

Again there are no issues with bringing in a drone. Mine is in a DJI hardcase with drone stickers on it. Customs office look at as I walk past and exit.

Ditto...

One of the vids I took in the Philippines:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have DJI mavic air so, can i bring it in my luggage with my DSLR? Do I have to remove the battery of the drone then put it in the baggage?

I have DJI mavic air so, can i bring it in my luggage with my DSLR? Do I have to remove the battery of the drone then put it in the baggage?

All lipo batteries MUST be in your carry-on bags, they cannot be checked in. That’s standard for all flights around the world, that I know of. You can have your drones in checked bags, but without batteries.

You will need to follow the below rules to fly:
  • at a maximum altitude of 122 m above the ground.
  • at least 30 m from people or large crowds & respect individuals' privacy.
  • at least 10 km away from airports.
  • away from areas where its use could interfere with police or first responders.
  • fly within day light & within your sight at all times.
There is no issue with importations.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic