What’s a good upgrade from the P3S

Reaction score
I have had my phantom 3 standard now for 3 years. I have used it to do a few small scale real estate jobs but other than that I make YouTube videos with it.
I am wondering what’s a good upgrade that would not completely break the bank. And if it would brake the bank Explain why it is worth it

Yea the mavic mini is what I’m probably gonna do. Just lookin for some more input. But the mavic has features like active track witch is something I need.

I have most of the DJI stuff, and I’m not disappointed at all with the mini.
Also won’t give up my pro platinum.

The mini is pretty light so, wind could be a factor compared to a Mavic pro or phantom 4. If you’re doing stills for property, certainly worth looking further at it. The Mavic line is pretty easy to cart around.

It snowS alot where I live, do you know how these drones would do in the cold? I would also wanna track skiers do the mavic pro would be better. And what’s the diffrence between the pro and the platinum

As I remember, the platinum has a slightly smoother flight because they use a different esc. Camera is the same as the pro. Mavic 2 series is quite different all together. Certainly the m2 pro will be the better picture quality.
Research all before you buy to fit your needs. Lots of good used on this forum and the Mavic pilots site.

$600 ??

Then I would go for a bumper package deal on a decent 2nd user P3P ... that way you still use your P3S batterys ... plus you get a 4K camera ... range and stability.

Yes its old hat now with all the Mavics and P4's out there ... but having had a Mavic flown next to my P3P and seen what happened to it ... guy had to give up his video while my old P3P just stayed rock solid ...

I just point at the resale value of a P3P ... there must be some reason it stays so high ...

Of course if size is a concern - then maybe the Mini ... but I read that its lost some of the functions that the larger Mavics have ...

Reactions: KachemakDiver
I just recently sold my p3p and it took excellent looking video! Wish I never sold it. Depneds on how much your willing to spend but i think youd he happier with something bigger than the mavic mini but i could be wrong

Reactions: KachemakDiver
I just recently sold my p3p and it took excellent looking video! Wish I never sold it. Depneds on how much your willing to spend but i think youd he happier with something bigger than the mavic mini but i could be wrong

I wonder at some who have so many different DJI's ... but then think ... if I bought a Mavic or whatever - would I sell my P3P ... the definite resounding answer is NEVER ...

Its a bit like my cars ... I have a 2001 Volvo T5 XC70 ... I have thought about selling it for later model ... but then I look at the performance specs even of the bigger engine models ... forget it !!

I wonder at some who have so many different DJI's ... but then think ... if I bought a Mavic or whatever - would I sell my P3P ... the definite resounding answer is NEVER ...

Its a bit like my cars ... I have a 2001 Volvo T5 XC70 ... I have thought about selling it for later model ... but then I look at the performance specs even of the bigger engine models ... forget it !!
I love a Volvo haha. But yes i understand! I had to sell mine to help but my car.. lol a vw passat awd.. older and a vw.. but she gets me around. I would of never sold it if i wasnt pressured by the misses. Lol my p3p had alot done to it as well. I stuck with my little drones for a whilem and a couple racers that i bought with the fpv. But i had l get me another 4k drone. Came across a used autel evo with plenty of extras for less than 500.. i got super lucky on a drone that hasnt even been out very long. Ill be flying it tomorrow to test the camera quality. Im excited you dont always have to go dji. But there are not many drones that compare i might be insane.. but I bought my evo over a p4p i could have also got super cheap i know the p4p has a bigger sensor and takes better stills but they say the evo doesnt over saturate everything like djis tend to do. So i figured why not. Idk the point of my story. Just throwing in my experience.. i waa super happy with my p3ps footage. Just wished it had a few more useful modes. Idk if my 2 cents are worth much. But i can post some evo footage when i fly this thing! That might be sacrilege on a dji forum.. lol buying newer always means more money. For batteries.. lenses. Etc. There are some pros but

Too many variables in the equation. I call it an upgrade when the camera is better. Photography is my thing. The flying stuff gets better as the camera gets better. I don’t care about portability as much as I do the camera quality.

Everything is an upgrade almost compared to a P3.

IMO the camera on the Mavic Pro or Platinum isn't as good as the P3S4K. The P3S has a better lens. I think the MavicPro/Platinum has a bad lens, since it produces so many sun flares. Likely a poor grade of plastic. I think those two craft would not be an upgrade from a camera point of view, but they do have much better range and portability. If the OP were to get a P3P, P4, or P4P (used), those would be a better upgrade from a camera quality point of view than a MavicPro or Platinum, but those are not as portable, if that's important. I'd highly recommend buying a used P4P if the portability isn't an issue, it has the best camera for the money. The Mavic2 zoom or Pro would be a nice upgrade, but more money. Those have good lenses, and both take good video. The 2X optical zoom in the M2Z is really handy. The Mavic Mini has sub-par 40mbps write speeds, so videos will likely miss a lot of detail in foliage and ocean scenes, showing mushy artifacts at times. The Mini is an entry level drone, with a good price, but a marginal camera IMO (based on what I've seen on YouTube for demos).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31