Website builders & domain name

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice , im looking to set up a website and a domain name much similar to my username to as this is my first time venturing into technology could anyone recommend and good website builders even free ones and also where to source domain names, the purpose of the website will be used as a hobby to show my videos , thanks in advance for any advice

The Drone Ranger

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice , im looking to set up a website and a domain name much similar to my username to as this is my first time venturing into technology could anyone recommend and good website builders even free ones and also where to source domain names, the purpose of the website will be used as a hobby to show my videos , thanks in advance for any advice

The Drone Ranger
I am working with Squarespace.com on mine right now. Has been really simple so far.

Reactions: The Drone Ranger
Keep in mind, webhosting is going to cost about $130/year. Registering as domain is cheap, about $10/year. As much as I hate it, you may want to consider a Facebook page and even Youtube.

I also use wordpress. Pretty easy to use. Lots of extensions to help you get things done. I'd also recommend NameCheap. Super friendly support and lower prices than most everything I've seen. (I'm a huge cheap skate, but the quality is still top notch - I've run six sites through them, with a seventh on the way)

If you use WordPress, I strongly recommend getting one of the security plugin services. Being a popular platform makes it a target for hackers. About a year ago, a vulnerability led to thousands of sites getting hacked. Including my own. I was lucky in that I had backups of my site and just restored it to just prior to the hack. I now have a paid VaultPress subscription. WordFence is also good.

If you are going to a hosted service, make that they provide a means of installing or providing a SSL certificate so that you can use HTTPS. Google ranks HTTPS sites over HTTP in their listings. With free SSL certificates from Let's Encrypt, there is no reason not to have HTTPS.

If you are looking for a professional blogging platform that isn't WordPress, Ghost is very good.

Reactions: ravedog
Wordpress because it’s highly customizable (but as stated before you need to stay on top of updates and security).

Squarespace for more turnkey solution. Solid product. Somewhat customizable. Great company.

Smugmug if you want to focus on photography.

Domain name registry: hover.com
No upselling. Great prices. Great interface. Awesome security. Stay away from godaddy. Awful upselling. Horrible interface. Shady practices.

Being as you're from Scotland I can highly recommend TSOHOST in the UK for both web hosting and domain name registration. Their have very reasonable prices for the highend service they provide and their telephone helpline is second to none.

When I sold my own large UK based database company a few years ago I needed a secure and knowledgable company to transfer and host my personal email, domain names and web portals. After a great deal of searching I found that TSOHOST in Maidenhead filled all my requirements. Their "cPanel" hosting service can start at about £20 per year and goes up to hundreds of £ for the real pro stuff. They use all the latest backend and frontend script and have easy "one click" setup for most ready made website scripts, including Wordpress if that's your preference, and the backup databases are included for any script choice. However, if your looking to host photographs I'd go for one of the Gallery scripts, but you need to consider the storage space you require, as photographic storage can add up to many GB in time. Luckily, you can upgrade, or downgrade your storage space with them at any time to suit your requirements.

I notice that you already own your domain name. Well, you can tranfer the hosting of that name to TSOHOST free of charge. However, I notice they have thedroneranger.scot available, but it is very expensive at £29/year.

Note: I'm only a satified customer and have no other business links with TSOHOST. :D

Reactions: gingerbloke
Blockchain is the most promising way to may money nowadays. I've been into it for over a year and really like the benefit that I get. Here's the site where you can get all the assets of a newbie, InstaForex.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.