Breaking into drones/biz?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am already a licensed Pilot SEL and Glider x 10 yrs. Low powerhours, lots of glider time mostly in 15-18 meter high performance ships.

I am beginning my Part 107 Training soon. I think I want to break into the UAV business. Ag analysis, real estate photography as well as Cell, Water Tower, Bridge and structure inspections. I dont even own a drone. Have flown a buddies Mavic at the airfield as well as his fixed wing version.

Is there a hands on drone piloting school anyone would recommend? Something to get someone like me up and running? So, assuming a PLAN A hardware budget of $5k initially what would your setup look like? Drone? Support equipment? Laptop? Truck/Van set up? What does Plan B at a $10k budget look like? If this really took off (pardon the pun) I could probably, realistically invest more later on but absolutely do not want to sink that kind of $$$ initially on something so new to me. I plan on using a capped supercab Ranger as starter vehicle.

Thanks Feel free to weigh in on anything that pertains to this...marketing, SOW issues, customer service interaction...you name it I'll read it.

Also looking hard at a DJI PHANTOM 4 PRO setup here locally still new in box for $1200 would I be screwing up to get this setup as a first drone? Sounds like it has a better cam.

Thanks

Beach

Any response to this will be nothing but personal opinion. That said, PHANTOM 4 PRO would be fine v1 or v2 probably would want to stay away from the P4P + (the built in display) maybe a ChrystalSky, at least four batteries and LOTS OF INSURANCE. That’s all you need to start, hang on to your cash for operating expenses, add equipment as needed, no need to collect equipment that’s not needed. 2 Day shipping has your back. My opinion :tonguewink:

Are you current with your Part 61? If so, your Part 107 is a simple online test since you've already demonstrated your proficiency in the non-sUAS areas.

If you want a professional sUAS training (online training) I suggest Gold Seal UAV Groundschool

They are FAA Instructors and teach you the subject matter as opposed to teaching you how to pass a test. As far as I know they do not offer any hands-on training at this time.

I live in Western NC and we do offer Hands-On flight training for individuals and/or departments. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I highly suggest you do a thorough Business Plan before you jump too deep because in many places the market is crazy saturated with low-ball operators willing to fly for beer money or less. It's hard to make enough $$ to sustain a business when you're competing with low-ballers.

Liability, as a LLC (yes you need to be a LLC) you need good insurance. Doing an inspection on a building you crash through a window, a piece of flying glass hits the secretary and cuts her carotid artery and she dies. Not likely but you get the idea. Once you get going you’ll want to have a backup UAV, and coverage on your equipment. In my scenario above, even with liability coverage you’re out of business because you no longer have a UAV. Most important, DO NOT go by what I or anybody else here says about insurance, talk with your insurance agent.

I highly suggest you do a thorough Business Plan before you jump too deep because in many places the market is crazy saturated with low-ball operators willing to fly for beer money or less. It's hard to make enough $$ to sustain a business when you're competing with low-ballers.
Could not agree more.

Reactions: BigAl07
here are you located? I have everything in place for a drone business and am looking for someone to work with. I have an Inspire2 and a Phantom 4 pro+ with all the accessories needed for both pluse the LLC and all business essentials needed. I am in Bryn Mawr PA.
Hello,

I am already a licensed Pilot SEL and Glider x 10 yrs. Low powerhours, lots of glider time mostly in 15-18 meter high performance ships.

I am beginning my Part 107 Training soon. I think I want to break into the UAV business. Ag analysis, real estate photography as well as Cell, Water Tower, Bridge and structure inspections. I dont even own a drone. Have flown a buddies Mavic at the airfield as well as his fixed wing version.

Is there a hands on drone piloting school anyone would recommend? Something to get someone like me up and running? So, assuming a PLAN A hardware budget of $5k initially what would your setup look like? Drone? Support equipment? Laptop? Truck/Van set up? What does Plan B at a $10k budget look like? If this really took off (pardon the pun) I could probably, realistically invest more later on but absolutely do not want to sink that kind of $$$ initially on something so new to me. I plan on using a capped supercab Ranger as starter vehicle.

Thanks Feel free to weigh in on anything that pertains to this...marketing, SOW issues, customer service interaction...you name it I'll read it.

Also looking hard at a DJI PHANTOM 4 PRO setup here locally still new in box for $1200 would I be screwing up to get this setup as a first drone? Sounds like it has a better cam.

Thanks

Beach
[/QUOTE]

Dart Drones provides an excellent on line training course for the Part 107.
Drone U provides hands on training- however their $1500. Price tag has kept me away so far.
Drone Base offers commercial work.
Drone up(?) offers real estate work ( haven’t heard great things about them though)
A few leads
Hope that helps

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl