Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Website builders & domain name

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Drone Ranger, Jul 31, 2016.

1. The Drone Ranger

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice , im looking to set up a website and a domain name much similar to my username to as this is my first time venturing into technology could anyone recommend and good website builders even free ones and also where to source domain names, the purpose of the website will be used as a hobby to show my videos , thanks in advance for any advice

The Drone Ranger

2. Karma

I am working with Squarespace.com on mine right now. Has been really simple so far.

The Drone Ranger likes this.
  3. tcope

Keep in mind, webhosting is going to cost about $130/year. Registering as domain is cheap, about $10/year. As much as I hate it, you may want to consider a Facebook page and even Youtube.

4. Corey Tucker

looks like someone already beat you to it. thedroneranger.com is taken. looks like they used Wordpress to build their site. that might be an option for. it's pretty easy for people that don't code.

5. The Drone Ranger

Thanks for replies , have secured www.TheDroneRanger.eu , so its a start , have also now done facebook and youtube so now having a looky at building a cheap fun n'free website

6. jaseman007

Yeah, I use wordpress - awesome.

Good luck!

Jason

UpLift Aerial likes this.
  7. ZachHunt

I also use wordpress. Pretty easy to use. Lots of extensions to help you get things done. I'd also recommend NameCheap. Super friendly support and lower prices than most everything I've seen. (I'm a huge cheap skate, but the quality is still top notch - I've run six sites through them, with a seventh on the way)

8. UpLift Aerial

You can build your website using Wordpress and host it free on your local computer using WAMP Server.
    *NOTE: you will need a strong internet connection to be able to host your website.

9. mirright

I used to work with WordPress only. But using WordPress is much more challenging than drag & drop website builders. The process of creating websites with these website builders is less time consuming. If you still want to go with WordPress, I suggest that you use professionally coded wordpress design themes Design & Photography Portfolio WordPress Themes | TemplateMonster . They will save your time and effort.

10. DreamToFly

Mr site is great for website and domain hosting

11. anotherlab

If you use WordPress, I strongly recommend getting one of the security plugin services. Being a popular platform makes it a target for hackers. About a year ago, a vulnerability led to thousands of sites getting hacked. Including my own. I was lucky in that I had backups of my site and just restored it to just prior to the hack. I now have a paid VaultPress subscription. WordFence is also good.

If you are going to a hosted service, make that they provide a means of installing or providing a SSL certificate so that you can use HTTPS. Google ranks HTTPS sites over HTTP in their listings. With free SSL certificates from Let's Encrypt, there is no reason not to have HTTPS.

If you are looking for a professional blogging platform that isn't WordPress, Ghost is very good.