Weather links

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone really checks out much weather before they fly, but I do. I was a weather guy in the Marine Corps and briefed plenty of pilots before they flew, none of them just go out and fly blind. It's relatively simple to go online and find surface winds, but finding winds aloft can be difficult if you don't know what you are looking for. Considering that everyone in this forum is from a different part of the world, the links that I am putting below won't work for everyone, but you should be able to look up the same info for where you live.

Skew-T data- the data collected from the launch of a weather balloon. It gives temp and dew-point and what you care about, winds aloft. The wind barbs on the right of the skew-t give you the wind speed and direction in knots.

http://weather.unisys.com/upper_air/skew/

Meteogram- It is a model that uses current observations, climatology, and computer algorithms to forecast everything for a few days accurately. It's what most meteorologist reference when they write a forecast. It also provides wind speed at the surface and aloft.

http://wxmaps.org/pix/meteograms_gfs.html

The last one only works for the US, but it is a great site to get the weather and wind info for where you are flying. It's College of Dupage's Weather section. On the site you click on weather analysis tools and you can get a ton of weather stuff, from hi-res sat, to winds speeds, skew-t's, and a lot more. It may take some time playing around with but you can get a ton of info.

http://weather.cod.edu/index.php

I'm sure that plenty of people just go out and fly without looking at anything, but I hope this info helps someone.

lsteigerwalt said:
I like having all that info..thank you very much...can you explain how to read the skew t as far as wind is concerned at different altitudes?

The only ones you should be worried about are the first couple. The left side of the graph shows millibars and beside that meters. You just look at the first few wind barbs and their direction and speed. Here is a link to help you understand the wind barbs.

http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/maps/sfcobs/wnd.rxml

I'm looking at these charts, and surprisingly I actually understand (some of) them! Thanks for the links, I can definitely use these in the future.

I think the best way to determine wind speed and direction is to put the quad in atti mode and then check your speed in the vision app.

RedBaron said:
I think the best way to determine wind speed and direction is to put the quad in atti mode and then check your speed in the vision app.

True

I wish that there was an app that had the relevant weather for flying all in one place. Some other ideas I've had for this app: wind speed and direction, gusts speed, how many Satellites in the area, what flights are overhead, etc. Maybe build this into one of those boosting apps.

___ said:
I wish that there was an app that had the relevant weather for flying all in one place. Some other ideas I've had for this app: wind speed and direction, gusts speed, how many Satellites in the area, what flights are overhead, etc. Maybe build this into one of those boosting apps.

Thats the best idea I've ever heard! Some one could make a ton of money making a weather app for Phantoms, I know weather, but tech not so much. I know I'd buy it! It would be all programming and coding, all the info could be sourced from a local weather station with a weather balloon. I got out of the Marine Corps 2 years ago, but my wife is still in. I just call some buddies down at the flight line and get local weather info before I fly. If only everyone could be so lucky.

I highly recommend the app by the name of "Dark Sky"

It is hyper-local weather, which crowdsources current weather conditions to pin point your specific area. There is a minute by minute forecast, and will tell you if rain is even 10 minutes away. It cost me a few bucks, but I know people who manage restaurants who use this app to determine when to seat people outdoors. It's that good. It also notifies you based on your selection of weather conditions. I have mine set to alert if even light rain is on the way.

sidebox said:
I highly recommend the app by the name of "Dark Sky"

It is hyper-local weather, which crowdsources current weather conditions to pin point your specific area. There is a minute by minute forecast, and will tell you if rain is even 10 minutes away. It cost me a few bucks, but I know people who manage restaurants who use this app to determine when to seat people outdoors. It's that good. It also notifies you based on your selection of weather conditions. I have mine set to alert if even light rain is on the way.

Rain is kind of an obvious one, you can look at any radar and get a good idea of what is coming your way no matter how much you know about weather. Wind is the biggie for me and I would think most of the people flying. None of the apps I've found have anything for winds above the surface.

Codacious said:
Dirty Bird said:
Nice links to have on hand. Thank you.

Would make a good sticky topic!

Thanks man! you guys have given me so much good info, I was hoping there was a way I could give back!

Cody,

Enjoy Okinawa while you can. I was stationed there for a couple of years at Naha. That was way back before you were born! I think about Okinawa often and would love to visit the island again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl