Watch This Poor Guy Lose $1430 Worth of Camera and Drone

Forest Gump comes to mind. "Stupid is as stupid does." He deserved 100% of that outcome. What a dunderhead. It's one thing to be a shitty pilot. Its another to just be an idiot. A fool and his money are soon parted. And there's your proof.

PF

Wow. Way to be so cavalier about doing something pretty stupid. Almost like some half baked college prank. "Live and learn" he says...yes, it's a very teachable moment that I hope Mr. Chase Jarvis takes seriously. What a waste.

"A fool and his money are soon parted. "

A fool and his phantom are more EASILY parted. His next instructive video-to-the-world will be shooting blindly through his head from ear to ear to hit a target. After all, trying something new means taking risks and all rewards come with risks and his role in this world seems to be to demonstrate to the larger public the process of risk-taking (by ignoring all manner of information that would actually predict the negative outcome)

I'm also SOOOOO reassured we are all subsidizing his stupidity.......since he is "fully insured". I hope his insurance company sees this.

You guys missed the message. Chase Jarvis can easily afford to smack a Phantom into the ocean. The point is that you need to push the envelope if you want to come up with something new. Yes, I know all the geeks know that WiFi and 1st gen Phantoms do not play nice. But I give him credit when he says that most people only share the success and not the failure. If you have never failed then you are not advancing . Lest you claim he is an ignorant ***, do a Google search and check out his work. :geek:

Chubad said:
The point is that you need to push the envelope if you want to come up with something new.

I'd say the appropriate response is that he's not pushing the envelope because the loss was entirely unnecessary. There's a huge body of experience and information already available that unequivocally demonstrates that what he did is known to be a bad idea. DJI even has a specific warning for Phantom owners advising them never to do exactly this. Nothing hidden was uncovered with this unfortunate loss, nothing new was learned. What happened was exactly the worst case scenario that can happen when your wifi interferes with your control signal. In this case, what's sad is that he simply didn't do the very basic and cursory research that would have prevented the accident. If he did, maybe he'd try out some shielding or something else that might actually "push the envelope and come up with something new."

And what makes this even funnier is that I have accidentally started my wifi on Gopro five or six times and didn't notice until I landed the Phantom after 10 minutes of stable flight. I'm lucky I guess.

Chubad said:
You guys missed the message. Chase Jarvis can easily afford to smack a Phantom into the ocean. The point is that you need to push the envelope if you want to come up with something new. Yes, I know all the geeks know that WiFi and 1st gen Phantoms do not play nice. But I give him credit when he says that most people only share the success and not the failure. If you have never failed then you are not advancing . Lest you claim he is an ignorant ***, do a Google search and check out his work. :geek:

I have never heard of the guy but what I can say is that what he did was flat out stupid. As a pilot you have to learn to crawl before you can fly. Flying is not so much about taking risks but operating your gear properly and within your limits. This guy had his Phantom for a week before losing it in what should have been straight and level flight. He was clearly not within his flight limits and did not know how to properly outfit his Phantom.

He realized that the Phantom was not flying correctly the minute he put the camera onto the Phantom. He ignored the fact that his iPad had also lost connection with the camera at a fairly short range. The camera not getting the WIFI range that it should with a wobbly Phantom should have been the key indicators of major problem. The Phantom is very 1:1 in its controls. If it is not doing exactly what you tell it to do then it is either too overweight, has interference, or needs to be calibrated. Land and fix the issue ASAP!

kenskid said:
And what makes this even funnier is that I have accidentally started my wifi on Gopro five or six times and didn't notice until I landed the Phantom after 10 minutes of stable flight. I'm lucky I guess.

It depends on if you were trying to actually connect with your GoPro and have it start transmitting more than a "hello" signal. It also depends on the angle of the antenna. Streaming images over WIFI is much more likely to cause an issue than simply having the WIFI turned on.

Hahah that was an informative clip. I've never seen what interference on the control channel may look like, so thanks Chase for that.

This also got me thinking, with so many wifi-remote controllable cameras now from just about all manufacturers (Nikon, canon, Olympus, panasonic, etc), will DJI leverage the 5.8ghz control channel to accommodate fpv and camera control on the 2.4ghz band more than just phantom vision and fc40. That'd be interesting too.

Btw, when I saw that article, gizmodo's 'Buy a Phantom from Amazon' link has already gotten 12 victims. So at least Chase has popularized the phantom by that much.

Chubad said:

Pretty funny how EVERYONE!! lol missed that

I'm in the biz and i have seen guys totally destroy Phantoms simply trying to get something new ...and end up not even getting video doing it.....

the difference of perspective when you live in hollywood as opposed to emeryville!

LeoS said:
Hahah that was an informative clip. I've never seen what interference on the control channel may look like, so thanks Chase for that.

This also got me thinking, with so many wifi-remote controllable cameras now from just about all manufacturers (Nikon, canon, Olympus, panasonic, etc), will DJI leverage the 5.8ghz control channel to accommodate fpv and camera control on the 2.4ghz band more than just phantom vision and fc40. That'd be interesting too.

Btw, when I saw that article, gizmodo's 'Buy a Phantom from Amazon' link has already gotten 12 victims. So at least Chase has popularized the phantom by that much.

I think why not just keep the 5.8g band for a proper FPV setup and you can also quite easily add some wireless camera control via the radio if you want to do so with most cameras. Using any cameras inbuilt wifi is pointless as the range is so crap when you can use a regular FPV setup and easily get a clear lag free video signal as far as your radio can go. Thats what everyone else does and works great and its common knowledge in RC to avoid multiple systems in the same frequency band.

However his issue may have been much simpler then wifi interference, he flew to Iceland pulled the phantom out and flew without calibrating the compass most likely. Then he flew in GPS mode and this was the more likely reason for his water landing but combining that with a wifi signal on the camera and poor compass calibration there was pretty much no chance of RTH working and a very good chance of losing signal.

If he was interested in "pushing the envelope" for all hobbyists, he should have done two things differently: 1) done something practical or useful, clever or thoughtful instead of something that we, the average persons of intelligence, already know is a mistake, and 2) done it in a non-hostile environment where recovery of the bird was a near certainty instead of a remote possibility.

What he ACTUALLY did was just stupid, wrong and wasteful because the bad outcome we just witnessed was a virtual certainty from the moment he lifted off.

PF

Ha. Good to know. Because u are right. It was just on. I didn't try to connect to it!

miskatonic said:
kenskid said:

It depends on if you were trying to actually connect with your GoPro and have it start transmitting more than a "hello" signal. It also depends on the angle of the antenna. Streaming images over WIFI is much more likely to cause an issue than simply having the WIFI turned on.

I love how he states that they are "fully insured". I have to wonder if his insurance would still cover him if they saw what he tried in the video. LOL

C'mon, show a bit of smart by understanding context.

You don't see a Sesame Street show and complain about how immature the script is. You're not the intended audience.

I have no idea who 'Chase Jarvis' is nor do I want to know.

What is very clear though is this amoeba brained imbecile does not possess the ability or the inclination to read a product manual. Or, if he did manage to gain the ability to read, had no comprehension of what the instructions were telling him and warning him of. He also seems to have no knowledge that gimbals exist in the real world to give stabilized footage rather than rely on in camera stabilization.
As if the video isn't testament enough to his total lack of a product and how it should be used, he then goes on to hang his camera by the hot shoe mount rather than flip it over and use a tripod thread. Any fool should have the common sense to know that a hot shoe mount is not engineered to withstand the camera being hung from it!

He strikes me as the sort of individual who would go out and purchase a brand new car with blue-tooth connectivity for hands free use but then would be too stupid or ignorant to use the connectivity and proceed to make and receive calls via his handset thus endangering other peoples lives.

If my comments appear a little harsh I can only apologize....... To amoeba's for taking their name in vain - they do not deserve to be put on the same evolutionary level as this jerk.

Chubad said:

I am a professional photographer and anyone in the business knows who Chase Jarvis is - one of most celebrated and successful professionals in the business. And it's not because he does what most other professionals do. It's because he does exactly what they don't do. If you could see the body of work that this guy has produced you'd be amazed at the lengths he has gone to make shots that no one else could make or even try. He is well known to be a risk taker to get the shot he wants including hanging out of helicopters with thousands of dollars of equipment. Granted, it is well documented that what he did was sure to end in disaster, but that's what he does and this was not his first failure. To many it was was simply stupid and to others just funny. But I agree with Chubad - you missed the point; its about pushing the envelope to come up with something new - even if it ends in failure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20