Watch Out GoPro, Look Like You've Got Real Competition!

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Looks like there is a true competitor to the GoPro emerging from Garmin. The Garmin VIRB XE.
Looks to have many new features too. I wonder how a Garmin on a gimbal would fair on the Phantom?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: dirkclod
Well if that footage came from one I want one !
Screen_Shot_2015-04-14_at_1.38.34_PM.png

Garmin has introduced two new action cameras, the VIRB X and the VIRB XE. Both cameras feature a new form factor that increases the number of mounting options available, as well as wide-angle lenses and support for 1440/30p and 1080/60p video recording. In addition, the action cameras feature 'G-Metrix', which leverages integrated sensors and wireless tech to monitor 'action data' like speed and display the information as animated data overlays.

Both the VIRB X and the VIRB XE have a waterproof design enabling the cameras to withstand water submersion to depths up to 50 meters without an external housing. The glass lens is likewise hydrophobic to help avoid droplets forming on the lens when removing the camera from water. The microphone in the cameras has been updated, as well, with Garmin saying it is able to record clear audio both in and out of water. There is also support for Bluetooth microphones and headsets.

G-Metrix relies on data from built-in GPS, as well as gyroscope and accelerometer sensors. It also offers support for OBD tools with Bluetooth for capturing vehicle-related data, such as throttle position and speed. The cameras' Wi-Fi also allows for use with the VIRB Mobile app available for both tablets and smartphones. With VIRB Mobile, users are able to live stream footage, add G-Metrix data to videos, and make edits as needed, as well as upload and share media files. In conjunction with the integrated GPS, the app also enables camera tracking.

Both models sport a 1" high-contrast display, single-touch controls, switch-based start/stop functionality for recording, a shutter button for taking still photographs, and support for microSD cards. The internal battery offers up to 2 hours of run time on a charge when recording in 1080p.

The cameras differ in their recording capabilities; while the VIRB XE can record up to 1440/30p footage and features image stabilization, the VIRB X can only record in up to 1080/30p. Both, however, can record 12MP stills. Additionally, the VIRB XE offers a Pro Mode that lends manual camera control, including ISO limits, sharpness settings, white balance, exposure, and color profile control.

The VIRB X and the VIRB XE will be available this summer for $299.99/£239.99 and $399.99/£319.99 respectively

Did you notice the snow blow up on that peak from the wing suit?

Insane.

Sadly, it is heavier than a GoPro with the housing....
How much ?
Ya wouldn't use the housing when in your gimbal would ya ?

Last edited:
Nice find TJ.

Must make bird lighter so it can carry heavier camera... :D

Thanks for the share. it looks really interesting...

In addition, the action cameras feature 'G-Metrix', which leverages integrated sensors and wireless tech to monitor 'action data' like speed and display the information as animated data overlays.

G-Metrix relies on data from built-in GPS, as well as gyroscope and accelerometer sensors. It also offers support for OBD tools with Bluetooth for capturing vehicle-related data, such as throttle position and speed. The cameras' Wi-Fi also allows for use with the VIRB Mobile app available for both tablets and smartphones. With VIRB Mobile, users are able to live stream footage, add G-Metrix data to videos, and make edits as needed, as well as upload and share media files. In conjunction with the integrated GPS, the app also enables camera tracking

So that thing can show an overlay of the speed and what not in the video? That would be a nice selling point for me. I used to have a garmin map thingy (just had a brain fart, too early and no coffee). I think if these get popular, we'll be seeing some very cool features in the future.

Sadly, it is heavier than a GoPro with the housing....
Not real sure as I don't own a GoPro but from looking at some spec's last nite the GoPro's 6.3 oz with the housing and the Garmin is 5.3oz with it and not sure if ya can take this out of that housing but it does look nice !

150g v 90g for the Gopro. Nice diving camera, I would not want to have the speed etc information embedded into the video though, it removes all the flexibility of being able to add it yourself in a position to suit the subject.

150g v 90g for the Gopro. Nice diving camera, I would not want to have the speed etc information embedded into the video though, it removes all the flexibility of being able to add it yourself in a position to suit the subject.
Can't take it out of the housing then :(

Can't take it out of the housing then :(
It's so new even the website doesn't have any real specs. It comes out this summer so we should know in a month or so if it is designed to be used without the case. I may end up getting one even if I can't use it on my bird.

It's so new even the website doesn't have any real specs. It comes out this summer so we should know in a month or so if it is designed to be used without the case. I may end up getting one even if I can't use it on my bird.
Looked at it again and it has image stabilization :) But ....

Available June 2015

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

http://virb.garmin.com/en-US/products/virbxe via SPEC tab

Dimensions

• Unit size (WxHxD): 3.0” x 1.6” x 1.4” (77.0 x 40.6 x 36.8 mm)
  • Display size: 1” (25.4 mm) diagonal; 128 x 128
  • Unit weight: 5.35 oz (151.7 grams)
Video

• Image sensor: 12.4 MP, 1/2.3" CMOS
  • File Type: .mp4
  • 1080p HD video: 60, 50, 48, 30, 25, 24 fps
  • 960p HD video: 100, 60, 50 fps
  • 720p HD video: 120, 100, 60, 50, 30, 25 fps
  • 480p (slow motion): 240 fps
  • Still photo resolution: 12 MP and 7 MP
  • Photo burst: 12MP at 30 fps
  • Photo time lapse: custom up to 120 second intervals
Audio

• Internal microphone: Yes
  • External microphone: Optional rugged power cable or Bluetooth® audio
Connectivity

• Bluetooth: Yes (4.0)
  • ANT+® compatible: Yes (remote and sensors)
  • Interface: USB 2.0
  • HDMI output: No
  • Wi-Fi streaming: Yes (802.11 bgn)
Miscellaneous

• GPS: Yes
  • Temperature range: From -20° to 45°C (from -4° to 113°F) (operating); from 0° to 45°C (from 32° to 113°F) (charging); from -40° to 85°C (from -40° to 185°F) (storage)
  • Memory: microSD™ card (up to 128 GB); card not included
  • Accelerometer: Yes
  • Altimeter: No
  • Waterproof to 50 meters without a dive case
  • Image stabilization: Yes (gyro-enhanced)
  • Lens distortion correction: Yes
Battery

• Battery type: Rechargeable 980mAh Li-polymer
  • Battery capacity: 980 mAh
  • Battery life: 1080p (30fps), up to 2 hours

I don't have a GoPro and without looking at all the sites do these specs show it as better than the GP or just has some different features ..other than the weight ?

The processor isn't as good, as the video will only go to 1080 60fps rather than the GP 4+ which will do 4K at 30 fps and 1080p at 120 fps. It seems to have a few extra facilities like GPS and the ability to record data, and there is no waterproof case, the unit itself is waterproof. Stabilisation is probably useful although it would probably fight a gimbal. We won't know what the lens is like until we have some comparative reviews to go by.

So far I would say it does not beat the GoPro. I am always actively looking for a GoPro replacement to improve my footage and this isn't it.

The biggest things I saw missing was HDMI out, 4K, time lapse pictures while recording video (very important to me), and no word on whether video can be pulled from the USB port, if not then you will lose FPV, not to mention you will have to add the cost of a new gimbal to any investment you have already made if you want to switch from GoPro to this. Considering the way most current multi-rotor makers are starting to inhouse their cameras; I think the real threat to GoPro in the multirotor space isn't other cameras its the multi-rotor companies themselves. I'm still waiting for a GoPro gimbal for the Inspire 1 to pull the trigger.

No word yet on FOV, low light sensitivity, etc. But I would bet its not going to out perform the GoPro in most if not all areas. The sensor is probably identical to GoPro's but the camera may be working with slightly better lens optics. A HERO 3 Black or Hero 4 Black with a custom lens is truly hard to beat. Not to mention the huge array of accessories and support the GoPro already has.

All GoPro has to do to blow away the remaining competition is release a model with high quality interchangeable lenses (not the hack jobs currently out there), and use a higher end CMOS sensor.

The footage looked pretty good, but without access to the RAW footage it will be impossible to say how much post processing it took to turn out like that.

The most interesting feature I saw was the native image stabilization, but only time will tell how useful it will be in reality. Now if they had said it did not have a rolling shutter.....the whole discussion would change completely but the only people who care about that are the ones on this forum.

So far I would say it does not beat the GoPro. I am always actively looking for a GoPro replacement to improve my footage and this isn't it.

The biggest things I saw missing was HDMI out, 4K, time lapse pictures while recording video (very important to me), and no word on whether video can be pulled from the USB port, if not then you will lose FPV, not to mention you will have to add the cost of a new gimbal to any investment you have already made if you want to switch from GoPro to this. Considering the way most current multi-rotor makers are starting to inhouse their cameras; I think the real threat to GoPro in the multirotor space isn't other cameras its the multi-rotor companies themselves. I'm still waiting for a GoPro gimbal for the Inspire 1 to pull the trigger.

No word yet on FOV, low light sensitivity, etc. But I would bet its not going to out perform the GoPro in most if not all areas. The sensor is probably identical to GoPro's but the camera may be working with slightly better lens optics. A HERO 3 Black or Hero 4 Black with a custom lens is truly hard to beat. Not to mention the huge array of accessories and support the GoPro already has.

All GoPro has to do to blow away the remaining competition is release a model with high quality interchangeable lenses (not the hack jobs currently out there), and use a higher end CMOS sensor.

The footage looked pretty good, but without access to the RAW footage it will be impossible to say how much post processing it took to turn out like that.

The most interesting feature I saw was the native image stabilization, but only time will tell how useful it will be in reality. Now if they had said it did not have a rolling shutter.....the whole discussion would change completely but the only people who care about that are the ones on this forum.
And if it did all those things, we would be looking at the BlackMagic Design Micro Cinema Camera. I wonder how long it will be before a drone manufacturer takes that on board with a custom gimbal?

And if it did all those things, we would be looking at the BlackMagic Design Micro Cinema Camera. I wonder how long it will be before a drone manufacturer takes that on board with a custom gimbal?
Great camera, will definitely need some serious lift though to get it in the air. The listed weight for the BlackMagic doesn't even include the lenses which can easily weigh as much or more than the camera body.

Also the gimbal for the BlackMagic will probably cost as much as the camera since it will need to be able to balance the camera and different weights for lenses.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers