Was it a drone? British airways flight

Well it's a sketchy unproven incident until they produce some evidence that the plane actually struck a quad. I won't accept it as true until the release some...any... Credible evidence that it a quad.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Like I said, this happened at 1700 feet, the aircraft was traveling at about 500 mph, that's 8 mpsecond.
Spotting and confirming a quad at that speed would take no more than 400 feet which would mean he had milliseconds (that is 0.001 second) to identify it (highly unlikely), and it is "suspected" and not confirmed!
I would like to see the pilot interviewed and hear the cockpit voice recorder.
I really doubt it was a quad since there is no damage to the aircraft either. A 2 lbs. plastic item would leave a dent, and possibly scratches. The inspection found nothing!
Too bad the general public is so quick to blame! Too bad they don't read and understand that news can be over dramatized.

Like I said, this happened at 1700 feet, the aircraft was traveling at about 500 mph, that's 8 mpsecond.
Spotting and confirming a quad at that speed would take no more than 400 feet which would mean he had milliseconds (that is 0.001 second) to identify it (highly unlikely), and it is "suspected" and not confirmed!
I would like to see the pilot interviewed and hear the cockpit voice recorder.
I really doubt it was a quad since there is no damage to the aircraft either. A 2 lbs. plastic item would leave a dent, and possibly scratches. The inspection found nothing!
Too bad the general public is so quick to blame! Too bad they don't read and understand that news can be over dramatized.

Your numbers and calculations are incorrect. At 1700 ft on approach, the aircraft will be doing less than 200 kts, or 100 m/s. If we take your estimate of 400 ft (122 m) as reasonable, then the pilot will have a little over 1 second to identify the object.

And 500 mph is 0.14 miles per second.

Reactions: SGs
should have been 8.33 mpminute....

We also don't know where the supposed quad was in relation to the pilot's line of sight... was he above/inline/below the quad? That would make a big difference as to the visibility and identification of the quad, IF it was in fact a quad!
Even the pilot wasn't positive it was a quad!

Reactions: pomonabill220
Then why did they leak it as such and allow the media to run wild for the last week or so calling it a drone? Thanks for all the un-needed negative press Robert Goodwill! :mad:
Come on you know why truth don't sell . Creat fear make laws ;)

Interesting to see that piece on the Transport Minister's comments.
  • Robert Goodwill plays down fears and said authorities had not yet confirmed whether it was a drone
  • He says it would be much easier for terrorists to attack airports on the ground with rucksacks or car bombs
  • He insists current rules governing drone use are strong enough
But at the same time, the hysteria is giving us this ...
This time the near miss with an airliner was supposed to be at 2300 metres
Aer Lingus plane reportedly dodges collision with drone over Paris - Independent.ie

The British Airline Pilots Association has been telling their members and the press that drones are a real menace and that a crash is inevitable.
So their pilots are seeing them everywhere now.

Just limit all personal quad transmitter range to max of 300m

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Then why did they leak it as such and allow the media to run wild for the last week or so calling it a drone? Thanks for all the un-needed negative press Robert Goodwill! :mad:
jez & people were slating the media for putting a negative twist on things, nothing was "LEAKED" they were "REPORTING" on a near miss/investiagtion

Reactions: sar104 and N017RW
What is ACTUALLY going on:
"A small object, like a UAV, possibly collided with a small two-engined Airbus. Minimal damage was reported. No injuries."
What everyone THINKS is going on.

"Breaking news. A drone with an onboard nuke guided by ISIS terrorists has slammed into a mega-freighter jumbo jet which exploded in mid-air and every died. Drones are evil yada yada yada..."

This is the news in a nutshell. :nomouth:

What's even more crazy though is Richmond Park where the bag hit it is 5 miles from the airport. I'm totally ok with drones being controlled around an airport but what's the range going to be. Again they're thinking of it as a terrorist issue, which you can understand now the news as given every terrorist the idea to do it but only an idiot would fly their drone near an airport, no one wants to see their pride and joy smashed to pieces let alone cause an accident.

What's even more crazy though is Richmond Park where the bag hit it is 5 miles from the airport. I'm totally ok with drones being controlled around an airport but what's the range going to be. Again they're thinking of it as a terrorist issue, which you can understand now the news as given every terrorist the idea to do it but only an idiot would fly their drone near an airport, no one wants to see their pride and joy smashed to pieces let alone cause an accident.

Why is that crazy? The relevant area around airports is the area in which aircraft are maneuvering at altitudes and speeds that may put them at risk of collision with UAVs. With the current altitude limit on Phantoms of 500 m, an exclusion area (or at least additional altitude restriction area) extending out 5 miles from an airport, seems completely appropriate. Operating closer than that should legitimately require ATC clearance and coordination.

Reactions: N017RW
I bet drones will have to be regulated with GPS trackers now. :cry::rage:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94