Was it a drone? British airways flight

A British Airways flight was struck by what is believed to have been a drone as the aircraft

Reactions: b0dyr0ck2006
Well crap! I just turned 50 and haven't found a hobby that interested me in many years until I looked into quads. Just after buying my P3P, new rules come out, NFZs and bad media jumping on every negative UAV story they can find. This no doubt is affecting my ability to enjoy my new bird.

Drone or not, this news story sux and will probably have negative consequences for all quad enthusiast.

Please fly safe!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I seriously doubt it was a drone, the media will report on anything that is popular and they are probably praying an airplane will be downed by a drone just so they can get their ratings up. Like Dirkclod highlighted, it was believed to be a drone. Until they find the wreckage I don't believe it. Why couldn't it just have been a bird? There are many more birds than drones out there.

Oh sure, some idiot was directly lined up with the runway and operating over 300 meters high when a giant airliner smashed into his UAS. While I have seen a lot of stupid people do a lot of stupid things, I can't for life of me, imagine that impact with the aircraft would not have left some conclusive evidence of exactly what struck it. Hatchet job by the media here.

Reactions: Hooter
Before everyone gets too worked up over this... does everyone remember the recent story of a helicopter that was sure they had hit a drone that shattered the canopy. As it turns out it was a bird strike, not a drone. So let the authorities do their investigation before you make your conclusions.

And please... DO NOT let this thread turn into another fight-fest or we will shut it down and pass out warnings to the offenders.

I seriously doubt it was a drone, the media will report on anything that is popular and they are probably praying an airplane will be downed by a drone just so they can get their ratings up. Like Dirkclod highlighted, it was believed to be a drone. Until they find the wreckage I don't believe it. Why couldn't it just have been a bird? There are many more birds than drones out there.

As I posted in another thread the facts don't matter. They are already talking regulations.

Flying near airports... Anyone who does this needs their drone taking away and should face the consequences for their actions.

Safe drone pilots will suffer in the long run.

UK will not put up with this, it wont be long before they take action to prevent this from happening in the future.

Let's hope it wasn't a drone but surely how much damage can a piece of plastic do compared to a flock of geese bones and all?!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: b0dyr0ck2006
Let's hope it wasn't a drone but surely how much damage can a piece of plastic do compared to a flock of geese bones and all?!

either going into the engine isn't going to be nice, especially on landing

I just watched the story on the news. Some dipshit computer model showed a Phantom-looking drone going into an engine and the compressor blades completely failing. I'm tired of the media just making up junk. Rolls Royce/GE/Pratt&Whitney throw all sorts of crap in their engines during engineering to ensure this won't happen. Those engines would chew up a Phantom and turn it into powder without probably even surging. And if it did destroy an engine, every single twin jet built is ETOPS certified. It will fly just fine on one engine.

Don't get me wrong. These idiots are not making things better for those of us who are responsible and respect the airport no fly zones. But come on. Please just stop with the scare tactics. This is why I left the media for good.

Last edited:
That's probably some **** you need to keep under wraps.

You probably don't know the intended context behind that statement. There was a pretty intense thread in here a week or so ago regarding some kid that did some pretty stupid and illegal flying in London. That was not meaning that I know "Bob Jones" (fictitious name) did this.

You probably don't know the intended context behind that statement. There was a pretty intense thread in here a week or so ago regarding some kid that did some pretty stupid and illegal flying in London. That was not meaning that I know "Bob Jones" (fictitious name) did this.

I gotcha. I didn't know the context you're right.

either going into the engine isn't going to be nice, especially on landing

Pilots are trained to initiate TOGA if they lose an engine on short final. That doesn't mean a pilot can't screw something up because we're talking usually less than two minutes of flight remaining on short final. That's not much time to make decisions. Still,

This incident is exactly why regulation, enforcement and accountability is required.

I would not want to be on short final at 200ft and have to figure out and deal with an engine explosion because some idiot has decided to throw a solid LiPo battery at my number 1 engine.

As we saw from our London filming poster last week and some of the thread comments there are plenty of people out there seemingly comfortable with taking the risk, if not the consequences.

Hopefully this will turn out to be confirmed as a bird strike or other event. However, it doesn't really matter as its already a serious drone incident in the minds of the general public. The perfect excuse for more regulation.
Drone strikes British Airways jet as it lands at Heathrow

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20