Warming up

Reaction score
When I turn my Phantom 3 professional on it takes one to 2 minutes before I can do anything cuz it keeps on saying warming up it's never done this before what should I do

Try an IMU calibration, worked for me and a number of others. I had to do it recently due to the onset of winter and much cooler temps and the drone taking up to 3 mins to warm up. Following the recal, it takes less than a minute.

I fridge cooled and calibrated the IMU more than a year ago and the AC is ready to fly in a couple of seconds.
The only issue you might get is greater than usual altitude discrepancy in the firsts pack flown on an outing (after the fridge trick). In my case I'd stuck the phantom in the fridge and forgotten about it so it was two days of chilling before I calibrated.

The only issue you might get is greater than usual altitude discrepancy in the firsts pack flown on an outing (after the fridge trick). In my case I'd stuck the phantom in the fridge and forgotten about it so it was two days of chilling before I calibrated.
Hahahahahaha!!! Brilliant!

Can someone throw light on what exactly chilling achieves? I've seen it mentioned a number of times but don't recall reading what it addresses.

Can someone throw light on what exactly chilling achieves? I've seen it mentioned a number of times but don't recall reading what it addresses.
The IMU has to warm-up to its calibrated temperature before it will allow you to fly. This happens when the IMU has been calibrated in a warm temperature, so when you switch on the AC, the IMU has to reach this temperature before it will be ready to fly - you'll see the "warming-up" notification on the GO app whilst this is happening. So, by simply lowering the temperature of the AC, and thereby the IMU before you calibrate, it will reach this calibrated temperature far faster when you go flying. Does this make sense?

Oh God, I think I'm smart yet this is doing my head in. Ignoring the fact that I'm not sure what an imu is, what you're saying is that getting up to temperature is all this is about?! There's no advantage other than temperature?
Sorry, really, I don't mean to be negative, but it's just about a few seconds?!
Honestly, I appreciate the feedback but I thought I'd get some high-faluting Einstein answer. Smiley face?

Oh God, I think I'm smart yet this is doing my head in. Ignoring the fact that I'm not sure what an imu is, what you're saying is that getting up to temperature is all this is about?! There's no advantage other than temperature?
Honestly, I appreciate the feedback but I thought I'd get some high-faluting Einstein answer. Smiley face?

The Einstein answer is: It's all relative to temperature.

Einstein might have said:

"The temperature of the IMU could be represented by two cats. Cat#1 has a very low temperature, while Catt#2 has a very high temperature. The requirements of the IMU are something like that - without the cats!"

Albert once did actually make a joke about radio waves and electron flow and gave an answer very much like that, implying that the answer was, indeed, quite complicated.

Reactions: Numone
Honestly John, I'd have thought a smart guy like you would've at least read the manual to find-out the various parts of the P3 so you'd understand what they did!
OK - let's give it another go! :)
The IMU is the Internal Measurement Unit. This is an amazing piece of technology. Its within the electronics module and it collects the angular velocity and the linear acceleration data using electronic sensors. The first sensor is the accelerometer. This generates three signals that senses the acceleration along each of its three axes, which are being produced by the drone and those acting on the drone. The second sensor is the angular rate sensor and this also produces three signals, that sense the angular rate around each of the three axes. To insure that the sensor is working correctly, it must be is calibrated on a completely level surface so that it knows its starting point on a horizontal plane. It also measures the current temperature when it is calibrated.
OK - so the temperature thing. When I first calibrated my IMU, I did this in the kitchen when we'd been cooking, so it was about 25c. Once calibrated, this temp then becomes the "de facto" position as far as the IMU is concerned. So if you then start up the drone in say 15c, the IMU recognises this isn't the calibration temp, so an internal heater is used to warm up the IMU to the right temp. Now you say is just a few seconds, right? Noooooooooo......
When wanted to shoot my sons wedding in May last year - the part when they exit the church - I'd carefully set everything up and when I got the signal to say they were on their way out of the church, I switched on the drone. And I waited..... and waited..... and waited.... Out they came.... I was waiting.... "Warming Up" says the APP..... Along they came... I was still waiting.... and the went past.... I was STILL waiting for it to warm up.... and all the guests had they'd practically all gone past when - finally - the Go app said "safe to fly". I estimate it was > two and a half minutes. The Drone had been in the church lobby for the service, so more than an hour, and that was <10c and the outside temp in the shade was around 18c. So this is why very shortly after, I re-calibrated the IMU after I'd put the drone in the fridge @ 4c for 20 mins. Now, as anything more than 4c, the drone immediately says "Safe to fly" once its locked the sats. I know if I fly below 4c that I'll have to wait, but I'll now take that into account. It can be really annoying, yet takes a few minutes to solve...

Honestly John, I'd have thought a smart guy like you would've at least read the manual to find-out the various parts of the P3 so you'd understand what they did!
OK - let's give it another go! :)
The IMU is the Internal Measurement Unit. This is an amazing piece of technology. Its within the electronics module and it collects the angular velocity and the linear acceleration data using electronic sensors. The first sensor is the accelerometer. This generates three signals that senses the acceleration along each of its three axes, which are being produced by the drone and those acting on the drone. The second sensor is the angular rate sensor and this also produces three signals, that sense the angular rate around each of the three axes. To insure that the sensor is working correctly, it must be is calibrated on a completely level surface so that it knows its starting point on a horizontal plane. It also measures the current temperature when it is calibrated.
OK - so the temperature thing. When I first calibrated my IMU, I did this in the kitchen when we'd been cooking, so it was about 25c. Once calibrated, this temp then becomes the "de facto" position as far as the IMU is concerned. So if you then start up the drone in say 15c, the IMU recognises this isn't the calibration temp, so an internal heater is used to warm up the IMU to the right temp. Now you say is just a few seconds, right? Noooooooooo......
When wanted to shoot my sons wedding in May last year - the part when they exit the church - I'd carefully set everything up and when I got the signal to say they were on their way out of the church, I switched on the drone. And I waited..... and waited..... and waited.... Out they came.... I was waiting.... "Warming Up" says the APP..... Along they came... I was still waiting.... and the went past.... I was STILL waiting for it to warm up.... and all the guests had they'd practically all gone past when - finally - the Go app said "safe to fly". I estimate it was > two and a half minutes. The Drone had been in the church lobby for the service, so more than an hour, and that was <10c and the outside temp in the shade was around 18c. So this is why very shortly after, I re-calibrated the IMU after I'd put the drone in the fridge @ 4c for 20 mins. Now, as anything more than 4c, the drone immediately says "Safe to fly" once its locked the sats. I know if I fly below 4c that I'll have to wait, but I'll now take that into account. It can be really annoying, yet takes a few minutes to solve...

Have to confess I was kind of a doubter myself. I've seen comments for two or three years now about the IMU warmup. I put mine in front of a window A/C unit for an hour or so and then calibrated the IMU. Haven't had a chance yet to see if the warmup really improved.

But your story is a great example of why it *does* matter sometimes!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Reactions: JoBe

Between quads, R/C planes, flight simulators and amateur radio, I've participated in a lot of forums over the years. Personally speaking, I'm very much a read-the-directions type of guy. But I'm also amazed at how many times I might see a post from someone who obviously isn't.

When chastised for not RTFM, too many people have responded:

"It's easier to come here and ask questions than it is to do research."

Those people should be sent a manual that consists only of:

"Das machine ist nicht for gerfingerpoken. Keepin das hands in der pockets and vatchen der blinkin lights!"

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Reactions: Numone and JoBe
Yes, I'm duly chastised.
I am a read-the-manual type of guy, but I'm a wasted-youth = no-memory kind of guy too. Honestly, it all goes in one ear and out of the other. I'm also a have-a-drink-and-post guy and I thank you for not being too harsh with me.
Cheers to numone for the salutary lesson on why it's important to set the imu at a low temp. I'll forget the technical stuff but I'll remember the outcome.

(I've never been so quoted) :flushed:

Last edited:
Great Info. Don't think I read anywhere in manual about Cal. IMU for temp, but it makes sense and I'll do a Coool Cal and hopefully be in the air quicker.
Thanks Guys.

I live in Indonesia that temp outside are 27~38c. Before that, my bird still wait for "Wam Up' about 3 minutes. So I follow you, I wrap my bird with plastic and store to my refrigrator about 3 minutes and then imediately call IMU. Rezult, very very amazing, today allways ready to fly , no warm up IMU. Thanks guys [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] its work on my P3S

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik