Want to fly on Mackinac Island? Better hurry!

Reaction score
I was checking to make sure it was ok to fly the Phantom on Mackinac Island and sent the park service an email.

This is what I got back.,....

Jay.

In response to your question about drones, they are currently not banned in the Mackinac Island State Park.

However, it is my expectation that the Mackinac Island State Park Commission will be banning drones in the State Park (83% of the island) at their September meeting. There is increasing concern about the safety of drones around the horses and because of the number of aircraft using the Mackinac Island Airport (which is in the State Park.) As a result, I strongly suggest that you do not bring or use your drone on Mackinac Island.

You will have to contact the City of Mackinac Island Police Department to inquire about restrictions on property under City jurisdiction.

Phil Porter, Director

Mackinac State Historic Parks

So while he does not want me to it is currently ok to fly there, however it looks like that will change soon

Thanks for the follow-up passive jay. They do have a good point about the horses. I haven't seen one yet that likes the sound of "Angry Bees". It would be a shame if a drone spooked a horse drawn carriage. That would certainly make the news in a bad way.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj