Airport MGR said no permission granted to fly my Phantom!

What do TFRs, MOAs, etc have to do with hobbyist flying in airspace other than G ? Those are restrictions for all drone including commercial AND hobbyists

I guess you didn't read it. Last paragraph...

Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.

My point made.

" However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.."

Right now, Class B airspace waivers are taking 3 weeks to 3 months for Part 107 licenses to get written permission to fly in Class B. Although, my FAA contact says a nearly instant online waiver system for Part 107 pilots is only a few weeks away.

A hobbyist is not going to get any affirmative "specific air traffic permission and coordination" ...ever, and especially not from a phone call or radio transmission, when folks with tested knowledge from training, are taking 3 weeks to 3 months for written permission

Hobbyist are, in any real world FAA scenario, are restricted class G

My point made.

" However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.."

Right now, Class B airspace waivers are taking 3 weeks to 3 months for Part 107 licenses to get written permission to fly in Class B. Although, my FAA contact says a nearly instant online waiver system for Part 107 pilots is only a few weeks away.

A hobbyist is not going to get any affirmative "specific air traffic permission and coordination" ...ever, and especially not from a phone call or radio transmission, when folks with tested knowledge from training, are taking 3 weeks to 3 months for written permission

Hobbyist are, in any real world FAA scenario, are restricted class G

Your point is not even remotely made. The FAA airspace restrictions page that I linked to clearly states that recreational fliers can fly within 5 miles of an airport provided that they notify the airport operator and tower (if present) beforehand, unless the airport is under Class B airspace which is the only case that requires the specific air traffic permission and coordination. So, within 5 miles of airports in Class C, D or E surface airspace, recreational flying is explicitly allowed. Hobbyists don't need FAA authorizations or waivers to fly within 5 miles of an airport, so that is not relevant, and your statement that they are "in any real world FAA scenario, are restricted class G" is simply incorrect. I don't know how it can be stated any more clearly.

Reactions: AlecW

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor