Airport MGR said no permission granted to fly my Phantom!

You are free to fly in Class G airspace and in most cases class E. Class A thru D get trickier and are best avoided. For more info on the different airspaces, take some time and read through this...

Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep

Remember that as a hobbyist, you are limited to 400 feet above ground level. Fo

Sent from my SM-T330NU using PhantomPilots mobile app
This goes around and around, but it is recommended that hobbiest stay below 400ft. Commercial pilots are required to stay down there. Several threads here that have thrashed that to death.

You are free to fly in Class G airspace and in most cases class E. Class A thru D get trickier and are best avoided. For more info on the different airspaces, take some time and read through this...

Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep

Remember that as a hobbyist, you are limited to 400 feet above ground level. Fo

Sent from my SM-T330NU using PhantomPilots mobile app
This goes around and around, but it is recommended that hobbiest stay below 400ft. Commercial pilots are required to stay down there. Several threads here that have thrashed that to death.

Hmm, so to be clear anything within 5 miles from me is considered Class B airspace. Therefore is a no go.
So, you can still fly in class B airspace with ATC approval. The caviat is that you need to be in constant communication with ATC via radio, and your drone must be equipped with a transponder with the ability to show your location via radar to ATC. It's technically not a "no go", just a lot of hoops and brass balls.

Hello,

TL;DR - Just bought a Phantom 3 standard and thinking about returning it.

As a new owner of a Phantom 3 standard I wanted to add this to the forum and get some feedback. I live in Staten Island one of the (5) boroughs of NYC and 4.1 miles away from Linden Airport in New Jersey and 5.9 miles away from Newark Liberty, according to B4YouFly. I have (2) Heliports in the same area I wish to fly my new Phantom. So, I decided to email the airport and ask what number I need to call when I fly my quadcopter; its a public airport and no tower. The manager emails me and says:

• "You may not operate within 5 miles of a public use airport."
I reply with:
  • Thank you for the quick reply. However, it does not state I cannot fly; only that I need to contact the tower if present. Please see attached image (B4UFly app screenshot). Unless I missed something I can legally fly in Staten Island, if I call and let you know.
His Reply:
  • I am unclear as to what you are looking at, however as a public use airport we do not authorize such activities irrespective of being notified. I believe there are areas of Staten island that are 5 miles away from Newark International and Linden Municipal airports.

This starts an email dialogue and write a lengthy email to see if we can clear up some confusion and better understand my contacting him and my intentions with my Phantom. He then simply ends the conversation with: "Also, Linden and Newark are within Class "B" airspace. & You are still within class B airspace."

I ask experienced Pilots here. What does this mean? Does he have the authority to say no and prevent me from flying my Phantom?

I want to be able to fly in certain areas of the island but to be honest it appears that owning a Phantom anywhere close to NYC is not worth it. I don’t mind traveling to other areas to fly with my son, but I have a Large field of private property I am authorized to be on and use that I would like my son and I to use on the weekends.

-Phantom Newbie
Class B is major airports airspace, unless you get a waiver from FAA, you can't fly within 5 miles of the airport. Better look for different location or get a FAA waiver.

So, you can still fly in class B airspace with ATC approval. The caviat is that you need to be in constant communication with ATC via radio, and your drone must be equipped with a transponder with the ability to show your location via radar to ATC. It's technically not a "no go", just a lot of hoops and brass balls.
Do you think a consumer grade drone like P3S has the payload capacity to carry a transponder?

There is nothing from the FAA saying anything about transponders and they also agree that radio 2-way communications with atc actually would require a separate FCC license. Not something they are requiring. Only hard requirement is coordination with atc. Someone on here earlier got authorization for class b, only required that he notify atc 24 hours in advance and just before flying.

Do you think a consumer grade drone like P3S has the payload capacity to carry a transponder?
I'm not sure how big or weighty a transponder is. I personally wouldnt fly in controlled airspace like B or C, but only because of all the hoops I'd have to jump through to do it.

I'm not sure how big or weighty a transponder is. I personally wouldnt fly in controlled airspace like B or C, but only because of all the hoops I'd have to jump through to do it.
A basic one is about the size of car radio and weight about half pound. The killer is the amp and voltage requirement 14v and 1A. Far beyond consumer grade quad battery for practice use.

Determining class G airspace from the charts posted for legal flight areas, only apply to Part 107 Licensed pilots. Hobbyist are not allowed to fly within 5 miles of an airport, regardless of airspace classification

Determining class G airspace from the charts posted for legal flight areas, only apply to Part 107 Licensed pilots. Hobbyist are not allowed to fly within 5 miles of an airport, regardless of airspace classification
That makes more sense. I'm thinking pretty much everyone on here is under 107, which is my mistake.

Yes - except that under recreational rules you can fly within 5 miles of an airport, independent of airspace class, provided that you notify them first.

BULL!! hobby fliers are requested to notify airport managers and towers (if there is one) when they intend to fly within 5 miles of an airport. They do not require permission form the airport to fly.The only time actual authorization and coordination is required is if flight would be in class B airspace.

BULL!! hobby fliers are requested to notify airport managers and towers (if there is one) when they intend to fly within 5 miles of an airport. They do not require permission form the airport to fly.The only time actual authorization and coordination is required is if flight would be in class B airspace.

I've seen the Class B thing stated a number of times, but it's not in the recreational guidelines, is it? Where does that come from?

Interesting also that the linked FAA summary of Part 107 rule is now wrong (or just out of date?) where it states:
  • Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace are allowed with the required ATC permission.
implying that one should contact ATC for authorization.

Part 107 rules above are for Part 107 licensed pilots.

The FAA "Fly for Fun Rules"
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Fly for Fun

Near is a bit ambiguous. But to the best of my Part 107 certified knowledge, hobbyist do not qualify to fly in anything but Class G

Part 107 rules above are for Part 107 licensed pilots.

The FAA "Fly for Fun Rules"
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Fly for Fun

Near is a bit ambiguous. But to the best of my Part 107 certified knowledge, hobbyist do not qualify to fly in anything but Class G

Intentionally ambiguous, perhaps, because it's not quite that simple; hobbyists can fly within 5 miles of an airport with the only requirement (provided that it is not in Class B surface airspace) being to notify the operator and ATC beforehand. So, by definition, they may be flying within the lateral boundaries of surface Class C, D or E airspace while doing so.

Intentionally ambiguous, perhaps, because it's not quite that simple; hobbyists can fly within 5 miles of an airport with the only requirement (provided that it is not in Class B surface airspace) being to notify the operator and ATC beforehand. So, by definition, they may be flying within the lateral boundaries of surface Class C, D or E airspace while doing so.

And where is that written?

And where is that written?

Airspace Restrictions

Airports
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor