Wait for P5 or buy P4P now

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

Starting my drone business in the middle of winter (cold temps and lots of snow).

Now own a MavicPro but undecided if I purchase right away P4P or wait for the P5.

Could buy an M210 but it’s more than double than the P4P.

Looking now for potential customers in order to build my portfolio and service catalog.

So, should I wait for the P5 or get the P4P to start my business.

All your feedback is welcomed.

Ps. I’m in Canada so no need for the FAA Part 107.

Good afternoon everyone,

Starting my drone business in the middle of winter (cold temps and lots of snow).

Now own a MavicPro but undecided if I purchase right away P4P or wait for the P5.

Could buy an M210 but it’s more than double than the P4P.

Looking now for potential customers in order to build my portfolio and service catalog.

So, should I wait for the P5 or get the P4P to start my business.

All your feedback is welcomed.

Ps. I’m in Canada so no need for the FAA Part 107.
Wait till next month and see if the Mavic 2 actually has the same sensor and comparable quality as p4p. If so, that should be a good replacement for your old Mavic and allow you to later add a p5 once that becomes available (most likely after summer).

Nothing wrong with p4p (it is excellent) but if you can get the same in a small package that would very quickly depreciate the p4p.

We have very little information regarding the P5, including release date, so it may not be until we are well into the second quarter that we finally see its release. So, I suppose it depends on how much time you have.

I just bought a P4P, 15 months of field use and at 1243 USD for a new package with controller I doubt you could go wrong. The 1inch 20mp sensor is quite good. My fear is cost cutting and they come out with a P5 with a higher megapixel sensor at the same size for marketing reasons (ie megapixel wars) and you end up with something inferior. By the time the P5 comes out, the initial higher sales prices and bugs being worked out (which could mean drone crashes etc) it could be 12 months of waiting.

If you are starting a business, time is money why waste profits waiting for something not available now when you can be generating cashflow today with the capital investment in a P4P. by the time the P5 comes out and is vetted from months of field use/trials you should have generated enough profits to pay the cost of the P4P drone and you can purchase the P5 and keep the P4P as a hot spare.

The Image quality of the Phantom 4 (non pro) is quite amazing, so I could only imagine how much better with a 1 inch CMOS sensor with mechanical shutter and aperture.

If its just a hobby then you can wait for the best new hottest drone and buy the P4 at 730-740 new and have fun while you wait. But from what it sounds like your serious about staring out your business and building a portfolio. That sounds like P4P is your best bet.

Hi Tomas, since the P4P offers dual IMU then that's a plus for redundancy. when draffting my SFOC.

Also, operating temps for both the aircraft and remote controller:
Inspire 2 and Matrice 210: -4° to 104° F (-20° to 40° C)
Mavic Pro & P4P: 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C)

I'm so undecided at the moment now that I will be launching my company - don't want to sink a lot of money just in case that business doesn't pick up.

Also, if using for the P4P for business, what are the customers first impressions? doesn't look like a toy compared to an Inspire 1/2 ou Matrice 200/210? First impression is what counts.

Since I want my drone to be multi-purpose, I was wondering of the image quality (video and still) for infrastructure and building inspection?

Regards,

For hobby I have a Mavic Pro, a DJI F450 and Spedix 210. But for business from what I see the P4P will be a good starting point without busting the bank.

Hi Tomas, since the P4P offers dual IMU then that's a plus for redundancy. when draffting my SFOC.

Also, operating temps for both the aircraft and remote controller:
Inspire 2 and Matrice 210: -4° to 104° F (-20° to 40° C)
Mavic Pro & P4P: 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C)

I'm so undecided at the moment now that I will be launching my company - don't want to sink a lot of money just in case that business doesn't pick up.

Also, if using for the P4P for business, what are the customers first impressions? doesn't look like a toy compared to an Inspire 1/2 ou Matrice 200/210? First impression is what counts.

Since I want my drone to be multi-purpose, I was wondering of the image quality (video and still) for infrastructure and building inspection?

Regards,
I would start with identifying potential customers and the competition in your area. Matrice and also a flir camera is ideal for inspection but that is in a completely different price-bracket and not a good startup option for most.

Btw I have used my p4p down to around -20c and down to at least -10 is no problem as long as you keep batteries warm and the flights short.

Reactions: aigs
Thank you Tomas, I wouldn't want to bust my drone and fly it when operational temps are not met (I'm very strong in the compliant department). So DJi reply to my query about operational temps and weatherproof aircrafts:
"Both of Phantom 4 Pro and Inspire 2 are not waterproof. Don't recommended to use Phantom 4 Pro in the cold weather under 0°C. and the Inspire 2 in the cold weatherer under -20°C. If used in cold weather, it will damage the aircraft."

So it looks like an Inspire 2 will be my main aircraft if I want to operate it 12 months a year if not a P4P for the rest of 8ish months.

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Any input from the wetsuit guy?

Inspire 2 is of course fantastic if you can afford it and have the proper licenses in the area (different weight class)

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewCCM

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl