Was unfair to sell the P4P V2.0 then a better MP2 so shortly after?

Reaction score
I think it was. This was probably my last chance to buy a quality drone and then a few months later DJI produced a smaller, better aircraft. Everything, so many of us had been waiting for. Small,, light and a great camera. I don't think there was any indication the MPs camera would be better than the P4P. I posted the same question just before getting the P4P V2.0 and it was not thought possible.

I am sure I heard the guy at the "Bigger Picture" say there was some sort of trade in system. Does anyone know more of this?
I know many will say "tough" or "thats just how it works". But knowing what DJI knew what was going to happen I don't think they should have brought out the P4P V2.0, It would have been much better to wait till the P5.

I think it was. This was probably my last chance to buy a quality drone and then a few months later DJI produced a smaller, better aircraft. Everything, so many of us had been waiting for. Small,, light and a great camera. I don't think there was any indication the MPs camera would be better than the P4P. I posted the same question just before getting the P4P V2.0 and it was not thought possible.

I am sure I heard the guy at the "Bigger Picture" say there was some sort of trade in system. Does anyone know more of this?
I know many will say "tough" or "thats just how it works". But knowing what DJI knew what was going to happen I don't think they should have brought out the P4P V2.0, It would have been much better to wait till the P5.
There's always that risk when it comes to technology. Personally, I think the P4 and Mavick series have some crossover, but different customer base.

Details on the DJI trade-in program can be found at DJI.com. They take drones, tablets, and phones.

Thanks LarBear360, pursuing it now DJI Store VA Trade-in Program. P4Pv2.0 not on the list.
But I am a dog with a bone.
You'll get something if you really wanna trade. It's not listed, but they are lookin for P4's.

TRADE-IN AND UPGRADE TO THE BRAND NEW DJI PRODUCT!
We are currently offering cash or store credit for your used DJI Phantom 3&4, Mavic or Inspire1.

As bad a taste in the mouth as these antics might provide it seems so common these days. The 1” sensor in the Mavic was a fair bet- no great tech challenge there. Also if you follow the trend with DJI they seem to be first to market with any new tech development from their suppliers. We should expect to see every new model with whatever the latest offerings are from intel/Movidius etc.

Would it be unfair for Toyoya to release a new Corolla before a new Camry comes out?
New models are coming out all the time. That's how the world of tech works. There's no fair/unfair about it.
But you got a great drone and there's very little the new Mavic could do better than your Phantom anyway.

There have been reliable rumours about the 1" sensor mavic for a long time.
It's release wasn't really a surprise.

It won't help you in Australia as it's only in US and China.
But you probably wouldn't be enthusiatsic if you could access it.
The trade values are very low.
You could DIY and sell your Phantom for much more on Gumtree if you wanted to go that way.

I am doing that right now Meta4 just taken the photos.
I fly out to Thailand on Friday and was hoping to take the new MP2 with me but its a very long shot. Too late to order from DJI, local Perth suppliers don't have it yet and DJI don't ship to Thailand. Looks like my love affair with the P4P has one last breath in it. :) Its dodgy in Thailand at the moment and a small MP2 would have been a definite advantage.
c'est la vie.

Toyota would not do that Meta4 not with a three month gap between products. They are very smart and treat customers with a lot more care. Had Toyotas for 30 years because they make an excellent product and in "my" experience, don't piss costumers off with cheap tricks. Not because they are nice, because its how they make big money and have done for a long time.

Reactions: MtManDavey
Toyota would not do that Meta4 not with a three month gap between products. They are very smart and treat customers with a lot more care. Had Toyotas for 30 years because they make an excellent product and in "my" experience, don't piss costumers off with cheap tricks. Not because they are nice, because its how they make big money and have done for a long time.
An objective assessment reveals that all manufacturers of any product where ongoing technology advancements are implemented does exactly the same thing. The only exception that might be observed is where they avail themselves of an opportunity to offer enhancements to existing customers through software updates or retrofitting components. DJI is limited in doing this as the enhancements are embattled in hardware which is impossible or difficult to practically change.

Sorry but I can't see the reasoning there.
DJI made a minor mid-model update to the P4 pro which has now been available for nearly two years.
For most users, it wasn't enough of an update that it was worth buying the V2.0.
A bit like changing the grille and tail lights on a Toyota.
Later DJI released their V2 Mavic that they have been working on for a long time.

Should they have an obligation to not release any new product for some time after any new release?
How long do you think they should have just held the Mavic?

What makes you think there ever will be a p5 .

There will be a P5. DJI like any private company have only one main raison d'être, profit. There is a huge market for high quality areal and video photography that is not very expensive i.e. Inspire onwards. Like this place, you and I. The phantom series is just that, prosumer, unlike the Mavics, and Sparks, until now that is, with the MP2.
DJI are well into developing the P5 to be released, probably within the next months. Gone will be the fixed camera there will be some sort of quality interchangeability or at least affordable Inspire type camera.
It just makes too much sense, sorry, avenue for revenue, to not develop a P5.
Its probably going to black but it will be mean, fast, strong, have an awesome camera and you and I will salivate then buy it. It will also be targeted at the professional field for hard to get to places or speed of deployment as part of a toolbox along side Inspire, Matrice and Agras.

Now to us, the P4PV 2.0 buyers. To release a Phantom where the likelihood is that new buyer would take it up then with in a few months release a very portable better camera is just not on. Six months or a year would have been acceptable.

To that rumour Meta4. At the time of the V2 release there were no such "reliable" rumours. I posted the very same question way back just after the release of V.20 no one said a thing. One helpful person said there was no way it could be a one inch sensor and even posted a helpful graph. I am not having a go at him, he was genuinely trying to help and he knew a great deal more about these things than I do.

Any way what the **** is a "reliable" rumour?

Here is a "reliable" rumour, DJI are going to compensate those P4P V2.0 buyers with "some" credit in their store for future purchases. Like the P5!

To that rumour Meta4. At the time of the V2 release there were no such "reliable" rumours. I posted the very same question way back just after the release of V.20 no one said a thing.
Any way what the **** is a "reliable" rumour?
A reliable rumour is shorthand for a rumour from a source with a track record for providing information that has proven to be reliable.
Like these that go back to two months prior to the announcement of the P4 pro V2.0.
i-2KdQWws-X2.jpg

Photos of the final Mavic Pro 2 showed up July 6th.

Here is a "reliable" rumour, DJI are going to compensate those P4P V2.0 buyers with "some" credit in their store for future purchases. Like the P5!
You're dreaming.
In tech, there will always be newer "better" products released.
Unfair doesn't enter into it. That's just how it is.
If the release of a newer machine is going to disappoint you, just avoid buying tech products.

He did pretty good on the Pro 2, on the zoom he was close but it seems to have the same old 1 2/3 sensor, which IMO is very dated and limited in use. The 1" is better but still limited in DR, as I fully agree with DxO's mark of 64 on the P4 Pro. 64 is about where a Canon 1ds MK1 scored in 2004. So there is a lot more range to go in DR.

DxOMark benchmarks for popular drone camera sensors - DxOMark

Paul C

But knowing what DJI knew what was going to happen I don't think they should have brought out the P4P V2.0, It would have been much better to wait till the P5.

I understand your frustration tbh.
The P4P is 2 years old, so looking back it would have been safe to assume the M2 Pro was going to be similar on specs... But what made no sense was the P4P V2 release date. DJI proper shafted people with that, I think it was uncalled for. I understand why they released it, I just don't know how they could be so cheeky with when they released it.
The P4P V2 is now only just being supported by 3rd party apps due to the SDK updates and now the M2 is out, which is more insult to injury.

I punched in the numbers in the trade-in system just to see what it would give back and it said 588$ for a like-new p4p V2 that is a complete joke! and rip off!

I punched in the numbers in the trade-in system just to see what it would give back and it said 588$ for a like-new p4p V2 that is a complete joke! and rip off!
That seems pretty good... Think about what an auto dealer gives as a trade or what you might get from a phone provider trading up to the latest model. It is always substantially less than selling privately. They need to check it out, repackage with any missing accessories etc. Convenience has a price.

That seems pretty good... Think about what an auto dealer gives as a trade or what you might get from a phone provider trading up to the latest model. It is always substantially less than selling privately. They need to check it out, repackage with any missing accessories etc. Convenience has a price.
True but these are not auto's....588$ is not good 900$or 1000$ would be ok for a like new.... at the very least! I bet you I could sell mine for 12 or 1300$ easy with an extra battery. Like I said $1,000 at the very least for something that is like new with an extra battery seems pretty good

I am looking on Gumtree at the moment and the average price for a used Phantom 4 pro is about 2000 Australian dollars some in excellent condition with lots of extras and batteries up to 2800. That seems pretty reasonable to me I paid in all about $3,000 with lots of batteries and two charges props so to get about 2,000 I would be happy with that. That's the world I live in anyway I don't know where this 400-500 thing came from.

I also don't live in a world where you sell something and then a few months later sell something better cheaper and it's ok.
But each to their own reality.

DJI have apologize profusely to me and I've been negotiating with a very nice chap but he can't do anything because DJI I don't want to because I think they're dodgy on this issue. Yes very shady and shoddy.
I truly believe DJI can be better than that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20