Was unfair to sell the P4P V2.0 then a better MP2 so shortly after?

OldBlueHeron I researched for months, in hindsight it looks easy. But it was not so clear then. Anyone can say "Well I knew then what was going to happen." As for the auto thing many would agree with you and many would not.

Your probably right Dronefriend I am over it although I was very p****. I'll order the MP2 zoom while on hols and sell the old MP an MA to pay for it.
You have the opportunity to avoid a repeat performance of this saga. Think for a sec- are you going to put on a big performance with DJI if you buy the M2 and the P5 comes out 9 weeks later and you decide you should have waited? Consider taking the Mavic 1 or spark to Thailand with you.

Reactions: Dronefriend
I am doing that right now Meta4 just taken the photos.
I fly out to Thailand on Friday and was hoping to take the new MP2 with me but its a very long shot. Too late to order from DJI, local Perth suppliers don't have it yet and DJI don't ship to Thailand. Looks like my love affair with the P4P has one last breath in it. :) Its dodgy in Thailand at the moment and a small MP2 would have been a definite advantage.
c'est la vie.
If your anywhere near Chiang Mai the local DJI dealer there will have MP2. Great guy to deal with as well...

That would be great Sparky 1955, are you sure? I am in and around Bangkok, where you would think they would have it. However I raised this with DJI and they said they don't ship to Thailand. Presumably because of the recent harsh restrictions the Thai government have brought in. Its now almost impossible to fulfil all the requirements to fly as a tourist in Thailand. A DJI rep in Phuket told me after the basic registration which is way behind, you actually need a license and huge insurance all of which takes months to attain. But you made me think surly some enterprising people would get hold of them and sell them in Bangkok, so I live in hope.

where do we get the 'better camera' from? Yes, it may be newer but read the spec and it falls short of the P4Pro. Who makes the sensor? DJI are being very quiet about that but my guess it's Sony and it's probably the same one everyone s so happy about in the 1" sensor equipped Phantom 4 Pros. All the advertising says 'Hasselblad camera' but that's just the body not the sensor - it's the same as phones having a Leica badge - it shifts units, nothing more

where do we get the 'better camera' from? Yes, it may be newer but read the spec and it falls short of the P4Pro. Who makes the sensor? DJI are being very quiet about that but my guess it's Sony and it's probably the same one everyone s so happy about in the 1" sensor equipped Phantom 4 Pros. All the advertising says 'Hasselblad camera' but that's just the body not the sensor - it's the same as phones having a Leica badge - it shifts units, nothing more
Hasselblad has always used Sony sensors. What we are told about the M2P camera is it is said to employ the Hasselblad Natural Colour Solution (HNCS) which is part of the secret in what provides the MF Hasselblad bodies with such impressive image output. Add 10bit capability to the video and you would probably be out on your own in thinking this camera might not prove a better performer than what is on the P4P currently in many respects.

This is a non issue. If you want to be a pioneer you need to be prepared to take an arrow to the back. DJI did nothing wrong here. The internet has been covered in Mavic 2 rumors and predictions for months. If you were worried about being “left behind” you are going to be disappointed by technology for the rest of your life.

That would be great Sparky 1955, are you sure? I am in and around Bangkok, where you would think they would have it. However I raised this with DJI and they said they don't ship to Thailand. Presumably because of the recent harsh restrictions the Thai government have brought in. Its now almost impossible to fulfil all the requirements to fly as a tourist in Thailand. A DJI rep in Phuket told me after the basic registration which is way behind, you actually need a license and huge insurance all of which takes months to attain. But you made me think surly some enterprising people would get hold of them and sell them in Bangkok, so I live in hope.

Yes I am sure the Chiang Mai dealer can get the M2 Pro and Zoom. Great young man. Recently while in CM my P4 Controller would not take a charge. Had it back to me in a day with new board...45 dollar charge (USD) Try getting that service in North America... not likely.
Security Check Required

There were very good reasons for buying a P4P or even the latest V2 of the P4P. Personally speaking, I fly using a large iPad Pro (9.7 screen). I'd also like to get the new MP2 but I'm a little hesitant to use a small cell phone for viewing and control etc. I wear glasses and don't know if I'll like viewing on a Galaxy Note 9 but I'm willing to give it a try.

When the P4P V2 was announced, you could have waited for the MP2 - anyone not realizing that dji would put this aircraft out with a 1 inch sensor was not keeping up with the industry. Other companies were putting out old tech, like Autel when they FINALLY came out with their Mavic imitation. Did you really think dji was not going to raise the bar?

$1450 for the new MP2 is tremendous! Cough it up or suck it up.

Reactions: pa2x
Your probably right Dronefriend I am over it although I was very ******. I'll order the MP2 zoom while on hols and sell the old MP an MA to pay for it.

So, after all that fretting about the M2P having a better camera than the P4P v2, you are going to buy the M2 zoom, with its clearly inferior 1/2.3" sensor?

I would not put as fretting sar104 it was about the timing. I did manage to get the Zoom before I left for Thailand. A local store shipped a few in by air weeks ahead of other places.
It is because of the research I have done indicating that there is little difference between the P4P camera and the MP2s that I went for the zoom which reports indicated was better for video.
And oh my dear what and amazing machine the MP 2 is. The body and technology is the same for Pro and Zoom.
It is as sold as the P4P elements of it amazing with active track I could not fool it running behind trees and such. Ca't think of a practical use for active track yet but it was so much fun.
The dolly zoom function on the M2 zoom is mind blowing, I had it working within minutes. The zoom function is as simple as can be and is also amazing.
I will pay for the M zoom with an old MP and MA with spare kit and batteries.
I think the important issue here is how good is your finished product, especialy video which I mainly do.
From what I have seen the average person could not tell the difference in quality between the P4P, MP2 and even the M2 Zoom. Unless it is on a large 4K screen.

I am in Bangkok Sparky 1955 and hope to get the combo and filters here.
My issue here in Bangkok is that I can't fly here! Thats an irony. So I have to get some transport to take me out of the city.

I think it was. This was probably my last chance to buy a quality drone and then a few months later DJI produced a smaller, better aircraft. Everything, so many of us had been waiting for. Small,, light and a great camera. I don't think there was any indication the MPs camera would be better than the P4P. I posted the same question just before getting the P4P V2.0 and it was not thought possible.

I am sure I heard the guy at the "Bigger Picture" say there was some sort of trade in system. Does anyone know more of this?
I know many will say "tough" or "thats just how it works". But knowing what DJI knew what was going to happen I don't think they should have brought out the P4P V2.0, It would have been much better to wait till the P5.
Better camera? If anything they are equal in quality........oh...... wait the P4 Pro can do 60 FPS in 4k.....the Mavic 2......not so much.

I would not put as fretting sar104 it was about the timing. I did manage to get the Zoom before I left for Thailand. A local store shipped a few in by air weeks ahead of other places.
It is because of the research I have done indicating that there is little difference between the P4P camera and the MP2s that I went for the zoom which reports indicated was better for video.
And oh my dear what and amazing machine the MP 2 is. The body and technology is the same for Pro and Zoom.
It is as sold as the P4P elements of it amazing with active track I could not fool it running behind trees and such. Ca't think of a practical use for active track yet but it was so much fun.
The dolly zoom function on the M2 zoom is mind blowing, I had it working within minutes. The zoom function is as simple as can be and is also amazing.
I will pay for the M zoom with an old MP and MA with spare kit and batteries.
I think the important issue here is how good is your finished product, especialy video which I mainly do.
From what I have seen the average person could not tell the difference in quality between the P4P, MP2 and even the M2 Zoom. Unless it is on a large 4K screen.

I'm sure the zoom is nice, but the 1/2.3" sensor on the zoom is not in the same league as the 1" sensor on the Pro.

At any time in the tech world, things rapidly develop and change. New innovation and designs are often announced well ahead of time and then, finally, a seriously upgraded product arrives and everyone who wants the latest and greatest jumps on it, whether really ready for market or not. Those purchasers become the testing ground. In the meantime, a number of us who want these devices for every day work reasons look for the best proven technology available and use it irrelevant of something new coming out. These not Toyotas, they are consumer electronics, predictably going to change on a moment's notice for the innovation, reputation and profit of DJI.

As a commercial photographer using a high resolution Nikon D-810 camera for several years, it is tempting to move up to a D-850 with its 45 mp sensor and newer technology. In the meantime, my trusty faithful D-810 hums along with NO issues and extremely high quality images, continually capable of everything I need in my business.

Likewise, my 1 year old P4P+ continues to serve me well for commercial photography with few, if any, glitches or issues. I have no interest at this time to "upgrade". When I purchased it on January 1, 2018, after significant research, it was what seemed the very best tool of my trade. I have not regretted making this purchase and after the software upgrades just to get it into the air were finally done, this device is paying for itself. When business catches up to the justifying a new aerial camera, it will be time to upgrade to an even more commercially capable model, for example Inspire 2 or whatever has proven itself capable at that time.

Until then, this very good resolution flying camera will do very well for my needs. For those who wish to chase newer and higher tech toys, go for it. This group is the testing ground and I find the discussions to be entertaining and definitely of value. Each of us has our reasons for doing what we perceive to work best for us. Far be it from me to fault anyone for their decisions.

Happy flying!!!

Dave

I think it was. This was probably my last chance to buy a quality drone and then a few months later DJI produced a smaller, better aircraft. Everything, so many of us had been waiting for. Small,, light and a great camera. I don't think there was any indication the MPs camera would be better than the P4P. I posted the same question just before getting the P4P V2.0 and it was not thought possible.

I am sure I heard the guy at the "Bigger Picture" say there was some sort of trade in system. Does anyone know more of this?
I know many will say "tough" or "thats just how it works". But knowing what DJI knew what was going to happen I don't think they should have brought out the P4P V2.0, It would have been much better to wait till the P5.

Hi John, I just ordered online from DJI Store the new MP2. I sold my Mavic Pro platinum last week on Gumtree - easy. I also own a P4P and Mavic Air. My suggestion is that you keep your P4p2 and buy the MP2. You can own more than 1 drone. Life's too short, get out and have some fun.

You would be much better off to sell your P4P v2.0, than trade it in. The trade prices they are offering on the other drones are ridiculously low. I suppose it's similar to trading in cars. I do not see the MP2 being necessarily better. It is far more unstable in the wind and this matters for those of us who enjoy shooting long exposures. I suppose it is what one prefers but I don't see it as better for all people.

Fly safe, Fly often

Scott

I am in Bangkok Sparky 1955 and hope to get the combo and filters here.
My issue here in Bangkok is that I can't fly here! Thats an irony. So I have to get some transport to take me out of the city.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT