Drone with a smaller "footprint"

Reaction score
I'm running a company which partly is in the drone business.
The past weeks I have had a handful of requests about inspecion in narrow spaces. I have a two year old P4P 2.0 now and have been looking for some kind of cage which would enable me to take these requests and make a buck or five.

There are cages for P4P 2, but a bit expensive. I have to pay more for a cage than the whole drone is worth today.

So I started to think: The P4P 2.0 works as a charm, and I'm doing other mapping missions with it. What if I buy myself a new drone with a "footprint" more adapted to narrow environments. There must be smaller, more suitable, drones out there for this new purpose. Is there any drone that you guys can recommend? MAVIC Mini has lots of third party manufactorers of cages. Any other drone worth looking at?

R

PS Yes, I have been drooling over HELIO2, but too expensive for my humble company. Way too expensive..

Mavic Mini with prop guards?
Mavic 2 Pro with prop guards?
Mavic Enterprise DUAL (spot light) with prop guards on?

Reactions: Capt KO
Why not turn on tripod mode and set the C2 to shorten the sensor's distance? This will allow the drone to fly these narrow spaces and it will prevent itself from crashing.

I've flown in 6' wide spaces this way without issues. Just make sure you are VLOS so you can adjust accordingly.

Why not turn on tripod mode and set the C2 to shorten the sensor's distance? This will allow the drone to fly these narrow spaces and it will prevent itself from crashing.

I've flown in 6' wide spaces this way without issues. Just make sure you are VLOS so you can adjust accordingly.

I must admit that I haven't thought about Tripod mode.
About setting "C2" and "shortening the sensor distance". Do you have a link that explains this?

I've put my dealer on this. He spontaneously mentioned two drones suitable. Parrot ANAFI or DJI MAVIC 2. It all comes back to how the sensors are working and if it's possible to add some LED lights to the drone without affecting the flight time too much.
I've found a company that have a carbon fibre cage for P4P V2 and soon a cage for Parrot Anafi.

Last edited:
We've used a few different aircraft to "Clear" interiors with SWAT etc.... every time I've used TRIPOD mode it also reduces "braking" and other needed functions when flying in close quarters.

If you do opt to use a "Control Limiting Mode" be sure to test it in some non enclosed areas to get a feel for how it changes handling of the aircraft.

The Parrot Anafi has no sensors, so you will have to be on top of things at all times while flying in tight spaces. The Mavic 2 is a great bird, but it's the same as using your phantom. The footprint isn't that smaller.

I don't have my Phantom with me, so I can't show you exacly, but in the screenshot below you can set what C1 and C2 can do. While the aircraft is connected, it will give you an option that says something similar to "narrow sensors".
Screenshot_20200222-122359.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31