Was unfair to sell the P4P V2.0 then a better MP2 so shortly after?

Good to see you happier :cool:

My girlfriend got the M2P and it arrived two days ago. Will do some comparing soon :eek:

Very heavy. Even if you go through six months of regulated certification and approval it is still frowned upon in public. But if you fly away from people it can be stunning scenery. You will love it. The people are something special as well.

That's the problem with being first in line for new
technology..
I waited a year before buying my P4P+ so that
I could see the reviews and if it was worth it.
When the P4P V2 came out and I read the reviews
I would not have purchased it.
Patience is a virtue.... IMO

Hope you like your new MP2 better and that DJI
doesn't come out with a new Drone after your
purchase.

As to the P5... I think they may be going away from
the P4 style and come out with something more
radical... They may call it something other than P5.

This is just one of many reasons why I stay at least 1 year behind the "latest/greatest" technology. I let the public work out the bugs and be beta-testers, and THEN I purchase the technology. This goes for all technologies, not just drones, which includes computer and audio equipment (2 businesses I'm in). I also strongly advise customers/clients to do the same. This paradigm has served me extremely well my entire life.

This is just one of many reasons why I stay at least 1 year behind the "latest/greatest" technology. I let the public work out the bugs and be beta-testers, and THEN I purchase the technology. This goes for all technologies, not just drones, which includes computer and audio equipment (2 businesses I'm in). I also strongly advise customers/clients to do the same. This paradigm has served me extremely well my entire life.

But where's the fun in that approach?

Reactions: Fplvert
But where's the fun in that approach?

It's a blast when your drone operates flawlessly all day for 12 hours on a film set 2 hours away from Internet and cell service. Not so much if you crash your drone due to a bug in the latest/greatest firmware. Or are forced to login to DJI to take some test because you're running the latest/greatest version of the app. Or crashing into the side of a hill because you were the first one to buy the latest/greatest drone, just to find out it has a hardware issue with the motors, frame, ESC's or FC. The list goes on and on and on.

All that said, if "beta testing" is fun for you, and/or being the first on your block to find out that DJI GLUED the Mavic 2 camera to the gimbal as the camera dislodges from the bird and clunks down on your kitchen table (true story), then touché, sir. Hat's off to you, as the world *needs* more "adventurous" types...<;^)

D

Reactions: sar104
Unless portability is important, stick with the P4P you have. The cameras are somewhat of a trade off. The MP2 Zoom version doesn't touch the P4P as the sensor is the same size as the MP1. The MP2 with the Hasselblad camera has the 1" sensor like the P4P. While the MP2 Hasselblad has the adjustable aperture, the P4P has a mechanical shutter. Both, I believe, use a rolling shutter for video.

Right now I have a P4P+ and a MP1. Thinking of selling both and slimming down a little to the Hasselblad version- not sure yet. Remember, as soon as you walk out the door with new tech, it's outdated! Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fplvert
The Roach I got the MP2 zoom because I already had an excellent camera in the P4P. To pay for the zoom I am going to sell a MP1 combo and a MA combo. Now I am thinking of selling my P4P with 4 batteries for a MP2 how stupid does that sound?
What made me think of this swap, again, was I found a Shangri-La yesterday and inside this was a waterfall that was heavily guarded. No way could I have taken a P4P there but I could have secreted a MP2 in there. I chickened out in the end anyway. But that is a good example of the importance of portability.
Here is a pic of part of the Shangri-La I found.

Thai farmland P4P or MP2 Pro?

Reactions: The Roach
Maybe I did not make myself clear monki77. I meant comparing the P4P with the Mavic Pro 2 camera (not the zoom version.)
I wonder if there is a real example out there. That would be interesting. I don't mean blowing an image up to huge proportions but in a real life situation. Say a large print, I dunno, three foot or so.
I hope your right monki77, actually.

Yeh sorry I was just messing about...I downloaded the image and looked at the sensor data ;) It's a P4Pro hehe

There have been some excellent points made above, which I can only echo from our perspective and experience.

We entered the drone world late on in 2017, having patiently waited for years until the technology became very reliable and (more importantly) the camera quality reached a certain level - all without spending a fortune. Even then, we also waited a bit longer for the early bugs to be sorted.

We’ve been delighted with the P4P+ as a work tool. And it’s very portable, with everything fitting into a small backpack (excluding the heavy tarp we use for takeoff and landing).

Now back at our huge nature reserve in South Africa, we used the Drone Ranger this morning after some overnight snow on the higher ground.

Compare the technology of most things to what was available decades ago and there can be no reason for disappointment. It’s human behaviour/psychology that lags behind.

And, ultimately, it’s how technology is used by us all which matters most - not the technology itself.

Reactions: The Roach
The Roach I got the MP2 zoom because I already had an excellent camera in the P4P. To pay for the zoom I am going to sell a MP1 combo and a MA combo. Now I am thinking of selling my P4P with 4 batteries for a MP2 how stupid does that sound?
What made me think of this swap, again, was I found a Shangri-La yesterday and inside this was a waterfall that was heavily guarded. No way could I have taken a P4P there but I could have secreted a MP2 in there. I chickened out in the end anyway. But that is a good example of the importance of portability.
Here is a pic of part of the Shangri-La I found.

Thai farmland P4P or MP2 Pro?
Nice choice. What a shame they didn't make the camera interchangeable, although I've see a youtube vid out there claiming it's an easy operation, but not in the field.
If there is a P5, I expect to see a 1" sensor, zoom (lens change or both), aperture control and mechanical shutter - anything less will be a let down.

Or even better The Roach a camera that is so good it can do what all interchangeable cameras can do. Of course that would be expensive.
You are so lucky African wildlife what all of us would love to do, I am sure, is to fly over migrating animals followed by prey. An areal videographer/photographers heaven.

On cameras I would really like to see a variety of comparisons between the P4P and MP2 camera. In such conditions as light/dark, close/distant, dry/water etc tests all in one go.
When I get filters for my MP2 zoom I will compare it to the P4P, just to see "how much" better the P4P camera is than the MP2 zoom. I know there will be a lot of difference, but how much?
Under any circumstances the P4P is an amazing piece of technology.
I did this the other day and in no way did I do the area, or P4P, any justice. But I am going to keep trying.

Never seen land like this, Shangri la, Thailand.

I just cannot get over the fact that an amateur, with great technology and a bit of knowledge, can record such beauty.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT