Video seems noisy! Help!

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I have been experimenting with the video settings on PH3 and it just doesn't seem to be working well.

I took this video and I was wondering if anyone can tell me why it comes out noisy. I use Adobe Premier Pro to do color adjustments and I shot in D-Log (Automatic).

Is the cause mainly the overcast weather? or....

can you post an unedited video? One thing I can tell you that will help smooth out your video is if you use ND filters, you should be trying for a shutter speed twice that of your frame rate for smooth cinematic style video. If that is not what you are going for then I have no other suggestions unless you can post an unedited video.

can you post an unedited video? One thing I can tell you that will help smooth out your video is if you use ND filters, you should be trying for a shutter speed twice that of your frame rate for smooth cinematic style video. If that is not what you are going for then I have no other suggestions unless you can post an unedited video.

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to post some raw footage and let you know when it's ready.

ND Filters are for sunny weather though, how can it make a difference on the video?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's also really hard to tell much with a YouTube video unless you really understand how to transcode it correctly. Looks like a blotchy mess but that's typical for YT. If you really want a decent evaluation, download a ** short ** clip to Dropbox or similar and let people look at the original.

And slow down the turns a bit.... I'm gonna have to put on a scopolamine patch.

It's also really hard to tell much with a YouTube video unless you really understand how to transcode it correctly. Looks like a blotchy mess but that's typical for YT. If you really want a decent evaluation, download a ** short ** clip to Dropbox or similar and let people look at the original.

I will post the video in the next couple of hour with the descriptions of the settings. Thanks for your contribution.

I will post the video in the next couple of hour with the descriptions of the settings. Thanks for your contribution.

Here are links to the videos that I shot using different settings. Compared to GoPro Hero 4 raw videos, these seem really noisy. If you think the video is good, it's possible that my video editing software is not good. Anything that you would recommend?

1. Dropbox - Full Auto.MP4
Full Auto
D-Log

2. Dropbox - Shutter1000-ISO100-White Balance Auto.MP4

Manual Shutter 1000, Manual ISO 100, White Balance Auto
D-Log

3. Dropbox - Shutter1000-ISO100-White Balane Sunny.MP4

Manual Shutter 1000, Manual ISO 100, White Balance Sunny
D-Log

I'm going to download a couple of them - but I said SMALL video - these are 1GB and Dropbox will spit them out v e r r y s l o w l e y.

Get them to 100 mb - we only need about 30 seconds.

Looking at your raw MP4 file (full auto). It's fine as far as basic quality goes. It looks like **** on YT because it is hard to get a 4K movie encoded correctly for YT. But you can do it - look it up. Your pans and moves are way too fast for 4K so you have a lot of visual stutter and jitter, but I don't think you were planning on setting up the footage as your magnum opus. Yes there is noise in the trees - you are shooting straight into the sun half of the time. That will never yield optimal image quality. The parts where you are looking away from the sun have good contrast and definition.

Again, this is a entire camera platform that costs less that the vast majority of cinema lenses. It is capable of producing good video but only under 'non trying' conditions. You have to gain an appreciation of it's strengths and weaknesses and work with the camera - or spend a bucketload more money (and then spend the time anyway - this stuff isn't easy).

I'm going to download a couple of them - but I said SMALL video - these are 1GB and Dropbox will spit them out v e r r y s l o w l e y.

Get them to 100 mb - we only need about 30 seconds.

Sorry about the file size :)

Thanks for your feedback. Here is what I got from your feedback:

1. Try as much as possible to avoid directing the camera at the sun.
2. Slow down on pans and moves to get less stutter.

Do you think lowering the Sharpness, Contrast and Exposure in the "Style" settings will be a good idea? I saw a few places where they advise to put Sharpness on -2, Contracts on -2, and Exposure on -2

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20