Video Quality: Phantom vs Mini 3 Pro

Reaction score
So I just purchased a Mini 3 Pro and I took side by side video from Phantom and then the Mini 3 Pro. I kind of messed it up because I used D Cinelike on the Mini but I didn't use Dlog on Phantom. Or maybe for the comparison I should shoot both in Normal. Anyway, I was disappointed in the Mini 3 Pro footage. I need to do the test over again to make sure but the Phantom footage was richer with better color even after color grading the Mini 3 pro footage.
What do you think; should the Mini 3 Pro be able to do as good as the phantom?

So I just purchased a Mini 3 Pro and I took side by side video from Phantom and then the Mini 3 Pro. I kind of messed it up because I used D Cinelike on the Mini but I didn't use Dlog on Phantom. Or maybe for the comparison I should shoot both in Normal. Anyway, I was disappointed in the Mini 3 Pro footage. I need to do the test over again to make sure but the Phantom footage was richer with better color even after color grading the Mini 3 pro footage.
What do you think; should the Mini 3 Pro be able to do as good as the phantom?
The P4 Pro has a 1 inch sensor and a mechanical shutter so it's going to take some beating.

Reactions: Brojon
If you're looking for a sub 250g drone to rival the P4 in picture quality, I'd recommend the Autel Evo Nano+. It has the same size sensor as the Mini 3, but is in a league of its own. In low light the Nano+ is superior to the P4.

Reactions: Bill32174
P4 has d-Log and it is a great advantage, is heavier, which in windy conditions means more reliability stability and power to come back. The controller is also really more "pro". I agree that all dji's drones are awesome and comparaison is done "only" for few aspects. In the whole balance of pros and cons, I also think the P4 is still the "pro" little drone. I've tested many dji's drones and I stick to my P4 for commercials. Want better ? go Inspire.

I am happy to say that I after learning the mini 3 pro well and learning how to properly color correct the D-Cinelike footage, the mini can do every bit as good as the phantom. All I was looking for was a smaller package that provided the same quality and I believe I have found that. Thanks for all the replys.

Well, he didn't mention iwhat Phantom.. If it is P4P, we are talking about then OK. P4 has pictures of a lower quality..

P4 has d-Log and it is a great advantage, is heavier, which in windy conditions means more reliability stability and power to come back. The controller is also really more "pro". I agree that all dji's drones are awesome and comparaison is done "only" for few aspects. In the whole balance of pros and cons, I also think the P4 is still the "pro" little drone. I've tested many dji's drones and I stick to my P4 for commercials. Want better ? go Inspire.
The d-log on the P4P forces you into a min ISO of 500 - unless they changed that in the firmware but I doubt it because I believe they say it’s the native ISO. Not sure about the P4.

The d-log on the P4P forces you into a min ISO of 500 - unless they changed that in the firmware but I doubt it because I believe they say it’s the native ISO. Not sure about the P4.
Dlog ISO is for extra dynamic range, which is in aerial shots a real benefit for dark zones. And the P4Pv2+ images can be merged with Slog fx6 images with no clue. Changing that in P4's firmware is amha non sense. Log format is not well understood and differs from sensors. I agree that you need to manually expose with curves and level on screen and it is no so easy in complex moves when the sun changes shadows... but it is a real good thing.

Dlog ISO is for extra dynamic range, which is in aerial shots a real benefit for dark zones. And the P4Pv2+ images can be merged with Slog fx6 images with no clue. Changing that in P4's firmware is amha non sense. Log format is not well understood and differs from sensors. I agree that you need to manually expose with curves and level on screen and it is no so easy in complex moves when the sun changes shadows... but it is a real good thing.
Not sure I understand the relevance of this lesson on d-log. I am fully aware of its value. I stated a simple fact of a tradeoff on the P4P which I’ll restate here in maybe clearer terms:

d-log had its value. But unfortunately if you want to use it on a P4P you will sacrifice low ISO and possibly take on more noise.

Or use d-cinelike and get some of the benefits of d-log and still shoot with ISO 100.

Does that work better?

I just got my mini 3 pro yesterday, sold my mini 2 last week... After a few tests I reckon video and pics are better than the mini 2, but IMHO nowhere near as good as my P4pro which is still the mainstay for all my work. Manual settings of iso, aperture and shutter speed, 1" sensor and the mechanical shutter just make the P4 the perfect tool for me...
I keep waiting for DJI to come up with something better, but without spending stupid money I haven't found anything that comes close...
The mini 3 is only for those jobs in areas where I can't fly the P4 (UK regulations).

Yes but no. Log format uses the best capacity of sensors. Means it add more "stop" of dynamic range. In fact, shooting from sky is always dealing with highly contrasted images (shinny weather... of course). To avoid noise, you must expose the way the sensor needs. It is slightly changing from cameras to cameras, the p4p needs +2 to the middle left so. And no, it is not a color profile like D-cinelike, it is a picture profile that needs to be "revealed" in Da Vinci Resolve to expand levels and gain that "extra" dynamic range.
I know that is not the topic of that thread, but if you are quality focused when merging images between different cameras, the log and the work in a software are the way to go.
For example, D-cinelike is eating details on hard shadows when D-log reveals more details into them. I think we can, here talk in a professional way, sorry for the little "out of topic".

Yes but no. Log format uses the best capacity of sensors. Means it add more "stop" of dynamic range. In fact, shooting from sky is always dealing with highly contrasted images (shinny weather... of course). To avoid noise, you must expose the way the sensor needs. It is slightly changing from cameras to cameras, the p4p needs +2 to the middle left so. And no, it is not a color profile like D-cinelike, it is a picture profile that needs to be "revealed" in Da Vinci Resolve to expand levels and gain that "extra" dynamic range.
I know that is not the topic of that thread, but if you are quality focused when merging images between different cameras, the log and the work in a software are the way to go.
For example, D-cinelike is eating details on hard shadows when D-log reveals more details into them. I think we can, here talk in a professional way, sorry for the little "out of topic".
I get all that. But others on this thread will appreciate your detailed reply so I think it’s well done. I’ve done a bunch of tests. In my own personal opinion I prefer to go with the lower ISO for lower noise for what I shoot with the P4P. Your mileage may vary. Rewind to my initial post which is factually correct and people can make their own choice. The ISO 500 floor on d-log may be a surprise to some so I simply stated it as a point of information. My choice of d-cinelike vs d-log will clearly come down to not only what you shoot but also what your output intent is. I personally tend to bias toward low ISO because these are essentially cell phone sensors and can be noisy. I think somewhat differently when I shoot terrestrial (and even night) pics with my 5D4.

Reactions: jpblcm
I just got my mini 3 pro yesterday, sold my mini 2 last week... After a few tests I reckon video and pics are better than the mini 2, but IMHO nowhere near as good as my P4pro which is still the mainstay for all my work. Manual settings of iso, aperture and shutter speed, 1" sensor and the mechanical shutter just make the P4 the perfect tool for me...
I keep waiting for DJI to come up with something better, but without spending stupid money I haven't found anything that comes close...
The mini 3 is only for those jobs in areas where I can't fly the P4 (UK regulations).
regulation is also another cruel thing to deal with... pro-pilot you cannot obtain clearance ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic