Video not returning on DJI app after coming back into wifi r

Reaction score
On my last three flights after losing wifi and then coming back in to wifi range.. the telemetry gets updated on the DJI app (Andriod), but the video just stays locked at the last image when it first lost wifi. Restarting the app, wifi repeater, and rebooting phone didnt change anything. If I land, cycle teh power on the phantom, video comes back. I did recently install my Flytrex 3g, but that is the only change I can think of. I wouldn't think a loose wire in this case because I can fly around all I want while in wifi range and have video.. but as soon as wifi connection is broken, video doesn't return unless I power cycle the phantom. And telemetry is updated as soon as wifi connection is reestablished.

Thoughts?

Doug Fletcher

Re: Video not returning on DJI app after coming back into wi

Is the wifi repeater still connected? Go back into the home screen (exit camera) and check that it's still connected. Green dot = connected.

Mine drops the connection occasionally. I let the phantom hang in the air and go back to settings and connect back onto the phantom's wifi network. Once it reconnects, go back into the app and back into the camera and all is well again. Takes around 10 seconds. I'm using iOS, BTW!

Just a thought.

I've also experienced this problem, but found it to be intermittent, it's happened only one day on 2 occasions and using the same commands/actions as you did I could not rectify the problem while flying. Only after landing and power cycling did I regain video...

Sorry to say this but your WiFi module is overheating and in the beginning process of failing totally. Hopefully not too late to heat sync it.

Check this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28176

rbhamilton said:
Sorry to say this but your WiFi module is overheating and in the beginning process of failing totally. Hopefully not too late to heat sync it.

Check this thread:

I have read that thread, but not sure it applies. I'll have to do some more testing. I would agree with you if I was losing video while in wifi range... but that doesnt seem to be the case. If I stay in wifi range, it never drops.. it is only once i break the wifi connection, the video doesnt return... but telemetry does. I will fly an entire battery or two within wifi range to see if it ever happens. Thanks.

dbfletcher said:
On my last three flights after losing wifi and then coming back in to wifi range.. the telemetry gets updated on the DJI app (Andriod), but the video just stays locked at the last image when it first lost wifi. Restarting the app, wifi repeater, and rebooting phone didnt change anything. If I land, cycle teh power on the phantom, video comes back. I did recently install my Flytrex 3g, but that is the only change I can think of. I wouldn't think a loose wire in this case because I can fly around all I want while in wifi range and have video.. but as soon as wifi connection is broken, video doesn't return unless I power cycle the phantom. And telemetry is updated as soon as wifi connection is reestablished.

Thoughts?

Doug Fletcher

I'm having same issues. I have a v3
happydays said:
Is the wifi repeater still connected? Go back into the home screen (exit camera) and check that it's still connected. Green dot = connected.

Mine drops the connection occasionally. I let the phantom hang in the air and go back to settings and connect back onto the phantom's wifi network. Once it reconnects, go back into the app and back into the camera and all is well again. Takes around 10 seconds. I'm using iOS, BTW!

Just a thought.

No, that isn't it. We are connected to the wifi and getting battery, satellite, & telemetry info; however, black screen. If you land it. Power off and back on, all is well again till you go out of range again
rbhamilton said:

Check this thread:

Not in this case. Video comes right back after a restart of the Phantom and is fine till you lose connection again.

It could be an issue with the TCP port not re-opening when you re-establish the video.. Its probably not this, as It would be extremely abnormal and should be affecting all/most V3 owners if this was the cause, but who knows.. worth a shot doing a test... costs nothing to try, other than 5-10 mins of your time.

In your house turn everything on.. but don't start up motors.. connect to DJI APP to ensure video feed is working.. You will also need your PC/Laptop to connect to the Phantoms wireless network... once all connected, from your laptop, SSH to 192.168.1.1 and type "netstat -an".. save the output in notepad.. then SSH to 192.168.1.2 and "netstat -an" save output again... Lastly SSH to 192.168.1.10, "netstat -an"..save output.... then walk around the corner with your R/C TX so its out of range... walk back into range so you get the tele data again... SSH back into those 3 IP addresses and do "netstat -an' on all 3.. save output..

Post up the output of netstat -an from the 3 IPs for the before/after.. so you should have 6 outputs to post up..

Like I said, probs not this.. but got nothing to lose by doing the test above... just running netstat -an can't damage anything so its very safe.. if it turns out this is the cause we should be able to fix it up.

Ive had this happen a few times - usually when WIFI goes out due to signal interference (both out at range, and in close).

My guess is that the existing interference may make it difficult for something as complex as video feed to sync back up, and somehow it just gives up, while telemetry is easy to resend.

I find that when I fly in areas of little/no signal interference (aka outside of urbia/suburbia), I never have the issue - and I see the issue only when wifi interference is strong.

The fix (if you want to call it that) is as you say

Justin: Interesting. I didnt realize you could ssh into this stuff. I assume (now) that its running a linux kernel.

In any case, it would be interesting to see interface error counters as it tries to reaquire video (netstat -i or ifconfig).

Streaming video is a heavyweight task - and needs a solid link. If you are counting up errors on the interface, it could be the show stopper.

Ill have to ssh in and see whats doable here.

Ya its got openwrt with busybox... thats how the FPV booster apps are able to change the wifi power output (or you can do it yourself, permanantly)

Theres tutorials on here on installing iwconfig and other packages like GUIs etc..

192.168.1.1 is the wifi module on Phantom
.2 is the RE that sits on R/C TX
.10 is the camera

The DJI app connects to multiple IPs/ports to make it all work.. usually port 2001, 2002 etc are the ones you'll be interested in.

its quite interesting how it works.. phantom wifi runs a hidden ssid that the RE connects to... and the RE runs the ssid your device is able to connect to.. then the RE bridges both ssids together so everything is in the 192.168.1.0/24 range and able to communicate with each other.

you cant actually connect to the mainboard that runs the actual phantom firmware though.. which is probs a good thing :)

If you search on the forums you should be able to find the root passswds. its some random combo of numbers.

Careful if you make changes.. espeacilly to the wifi config.. not sure how/if its even possible to fix some screwsups.. like if you manage to screw up wifi you wont be able to get back in to fix it.. I imagine you'd have to send it back to DJI, well depending on what was done obviously.

I just wanted to update.. i had three flights today and the video came back each time when i was back in range. Maybe i'll chalk it up to a fluke.. but we'll see how tomorrow goes.

I was flying in my friends neighborhood, where historically its been free of interference. Yesterday it wasnt - Id get 5-600 feet out, and lose video - sometimes even in close.

It made me suspect my wifi unit - but then flying there today would be fine. With ambient temps in the 50s and 60s (F), I would think overheating on the wifi would be much less likely (im not using a booster app either).

I chalk it up to interference, and again wish I had a panoramic receiver for the 2.4GHz band to survey the signal environments where I fly.,,

djczing said:
I was flying in my friends neighborhood, where historically its been free of interference. Yesterday it wasnt - Id get 5-600 feet out, and lose video - sometimes even in close.

It made me suspect my wifi unit - but then flying there today would be fine. With ambient temps in the 50s and 60s (F), I would think overheating on the wifi would be much less likely (im not using a booster app either).

I chalk it up to interference, and again wish I had a panoramic receiver for the 2.4GHz band to survey the signal environments where I fly.,,

Why not open it up and check the heat sinking on the wifi unit before it goes?

I'm sort of experiencing the same issues ever since I did the last update. After interrupting a GS mission, the video freezes on what ever the last image was. The link seems to be fine and I get no warning of a lost link. This has happened all three times I've played with GS. The only thing that fixes it is to go to the first page of the DJI app and then click on "camera" again, and it comes right back.

This morning, I had to do the same thing even before taking off, even though I wasn't actively flying a GS mission. I had just entered some waypoints, then decided against flying ground station, so I just swiped back to the normal telemetry page on the app, and I found the image stuck. Again, a quick move to the first page, then back fixed it.

Strange as I never had this issue before the update.

Burbank: The plan is to drill holes in teh WIFI unit lid - when I open the bird up.

Its one of a long list of things im going to do when I open the bird up again, which will be soon, as its about due for its periodic inspection.
I was thinking of doing it earlier, but the problem went away, and stayed away - it only pops up once in awhile, and in ways/situations not consistent with an overheating problem.

Still, if the heat sinking is flawed/nonexistent, it could be causigng at least a subset of the issues - but since I rarely have the issue anymore (antoher thing which is inconsistent with what would be a heating issue), it has fallen down the priority list.

Curious from both users experiences, at what preview resolution were you at? Also what was the ambient temp you were flying in?

I've done all of the heat sinking that can be done to the wifi module, spread original thermal paste, apply thermal tape, supplemented a heat sink and now finally drilled vent holes on the cover. Still not able to receive full preview quality at 30fps speed, I am however able to go full resolution at 15fps without any loss in FPV to max distances and without black screen issues described by y'all.

FWIW, I did buy another wifi module, used only once to confirm issues, and it performed exactly the same as original - lost FPV at full preview quality.

Just trying to narrow down the root cause of the issue we are all experiencing.

rbhamilton: Nice ! Illl check that out !

Given the sensitivity of these things to interference, itl lbe good to quantify the signal environment of any new flying spot before going up - it may also help separate the heating issues from the interference issues.

My first long-distance(for me) flight. And I experienced the Video from the P3S scrambling, then freezing and indeed it never came back. The P3S was out about 600m, radio-wise I had direct line of sight, but I could not physically spot the drone. I was getting periodic audible feedback from Litchi(so its NOT just a DJIgo issue) and I noticed that my controls on the RC were having an effect. I thought that the video link would re-establish once I brought it back closer to me and since it didn't, and I'm new at this, I kind of freaked. Never thought about selecting the map view. Eventually I toggled switch1 to trigger an RTH. This was my first flight with my brand spankin new iPad Mini 4, too. Anyways, the RTH got her back to where I could see it.

What I SHOULD have done, I guess, is abandon the FPV view and go with the map view... at least for some momentary peace of mind.

I do not have any sort of range extending equipment on my RC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20