Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

I posted this in another thread;

I would like to know about this also. I have a Phantom 1.1.1 and did the d3wey 1.5 conversion. I started doing the sarawuth can bus mod and was able to connect the wires to the board. I didn't feel like I did a good job and the more I resoldered the more I wasn't able to make it stick. I'm sure i messed the board up so that I don't trust it anymore. I have the T-Motors installed and wondered why not just use a Phantom 2 board instead of trying the sarawuth mod again? Any suggestions or how to's would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Thanks for the info! I look forward to your pics EMCSQUAR!

I'll post pics early next week as I have another "convert" coming. But yes use the P2 board as normal and then make the canbus adapter cable - which just plugs into board and IOSD mini , GS, etc...

Here's page with basics -> viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7017&start=760

Anyone in the Dallas, TX area that has done this mod? Id feel better about it if I had someone to help me out!

For the canbus mod, has anyone used the stock p2 canbus port mounted on the leg?

I like the stock plug idea, just wonder if it can be mounted inside the shell....

All DJI CANBus ports use the same 4-wire design. You can wire the Sarawuth mod up to a leg-mounted CANBus port. You can take that CANBus port and stick it inside the shell. You can unsolder the socket from an iOSD mini, PMU V2, or buy a bunch of sockets from Molex and use those with the mod. It's all up to you.

Danielhv said:
I started the swap last night... I got the ESC's and motor's moved over to the P2 shell, but now I'm stuck... the little board that has the antennas plugged into it: the holes dont exactly line up?? Thoughts?

Here is what I'm talking about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r6NOgY ... WQ&index=1

I think that is the one part that doesn't fit like for like. I'd not get too held up on it for now and you could always use one screw and a stick blob to hold it in place. As long as it is secure and insulated it will be fine (some just use a 3m double sided tape for it).

I never hit this issue myself being a Futaba man but I am a little surprised as I thought the P2 used the same TX as the P1.1.1? I am confident someone who has done this and uses the stock 1.1.1 TX will help here but personally I'd crack on with the build.

DeweyAXD said:
Danielhv said:
I started the swap last night... I got the ESC's and motor's moved over to the P2 shell, but now I'm stuck... the little board that has the antennas plugged into it: the holes dont exactly line up?? Thoughts?

Here is what I'm talking about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r6NOgY ... WQ&index=1

I think that is the one part that doesn't fit like for like. I'd not get too held up on it for now and you could always use one screw and a stick blob to hold it in place. As long as it is secure and insulated it will be fine (some just use a 3m double sided tape for it).

I never hit this issue myself being a Futaba man but I am a little surprised as I thought the P2 used the same TX as the P1.1.1? I am confident someone who has done this and uses the stock 1.1.1 TX will help here but personally I'd crack on with the build.

Will do, now I'm pondering over the LED... I'm not a big fan of the looks of having the external v2 LED mounted outside the body, but also not a big fan of mounting the internal LED at the front lol. How exactly does your battery door LED work? Are there any pics of the backside of it and how its attached/wired? And if I go that route, how to I make the USB hole in the P2 body functional?

Danielhv said:
Will do, now I'm pondering over the LED... I'm not a big fan of the looks of having the external v2 LED mounted outside the body, but also not a big fan of mounting the internal LED at the front lol. How exactly does your battery door LED work? Are there any pics of the backside of it and how its attached/wired? And if I go that route, how to I make the USB hole in the P2 body functional?

This is how it looks on the inside of one of the battery doors available for mounting the P1 LED board (same idea on all of them):
BogEAfql.jpg

Doing it that way will probably require you to extend the leads from the LED board to the NAZA, like this example:
0vlUdpHl.jpg

QXWCqPwl.jpg

I use that door sometimes, but more often I just opt to use the one that lets you use a standard NAZA LED module, which has stock cable that's long enough without extending:
r5khB7Rl.jpg

I7tyj46l.jpg

Whichever LED board you use (P1 or NAZA), that's where you'll connect the USB now.

Is the Naza LED as bright as the stock P1 LED? Seems without that dome shaped lens, it wouldn't be... Your setup looks pretty good to me. What about the instances where you want to run a P2 battery? I assume in order to have that flexibility, the NAZA LED has to go on the leg?

Oh, and last question of the hour.... what gauge wire should I use for the CAN BUS mod? :D

Is the Naza LED as bright as the stock P1 LED? Seems without that dome shaped lens, it wouldn't be... Your setup looks pretty good to me. What about the instances where you want to run a P2 battery? I assume in order to have that flexibility, the NAZA LED has to go on the leg?

Its pretty visible. It is the same high intensity LED as the P1 board but without the diffuser in front of it. Technically it will be brighter as its not diffused (try staring at it for a few seconds and you'll soon know its bright enough).

Of course if you want to use both you can get the P1 LED door and the v2 LED leg mount: http://www.shapeways.com/model/1728011/ ... mount.html

Just imagine someone else told you that though or my fellow Mods will kick me off for unsolicited advertising :lol:

Danielhv said:
Oh, and last question of the hour.... what gauge wire should I use for the CAN BUS mod? :D

I used 20awg if I recall correctly and even that was probably overkill for thickness. Make sure you get good silicone coated stuff too as it is a LOT more flexible and easy to work with.

P.S @ O.I - loving the trail of Phantom upgrades leading into the distance in your pics.... suffice to say I can relate! :lol:

Danielhv said:

Brighter, the dome is a diffuser but it does cut down brightness a bit. And yes if you want to use a P2 batt the LED will have to be routed to and mounted on the leg. I have no reason to use a P2 batt yet, I'm perfectly happy with stuffing 2 regular lipos inside :)

The extension leads I used in that pic are 22ga, I think I got them from here: http://www.pololu.com/category/65/premium-jumper-wires

DeweyAXD said:
P.S @ O.I - loving the trail of Phantom upgrades leading into the distance in your pics.... suffice to say I can relate! :lol:

That was months ago, you should see it now. In fact, look out your window, you might be able to! :lol:

The fort I'm building with them should be completed soon, but do you think you could throw a design for a drawbridge up on shapeways for me? Can't seem to make it across the moat anymore to the bathroom :oops:

:lol: Yeah no sweat... I'd make you a fire breathing dragon too but it'd melt when it goes off :D

Progress, upgrade board is mounted, ESC's soldered back up. Now I need to work on the CANBUS mod (need to go get wire) and a couple of connectors. Quick question:

My plans are FPV, H3-3D, & mini IOSD... I'm going to an electronics store today that sells everything imaginable, so I can probably get any type of plug there! Is this method here still the best way to accomplish the plug for the CANBUS? Is that a DJI proprietary plug or is it possible to find the other end?:

phantom1_hack2.jpg

Ok, I got an extension cable today that basically already has the plug I posted above attached to it... But it's 26g wire.... That going to be OK for the canbus?

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1407861248382.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1407861248382.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1407861248382.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 393

Danielhv, I found this tidbit from a post by El Guano, widely known as the Phantom weight-loss guru for his cleverness at shaving grams here-and-there:

"...if you want to REALLY want to go nuts, and I mean bonkers, try using a 4-wire 32AWG cable for that CANbus connection. You'll save 6-8g right there."

Can you please tell me where you found the extension cable or exactly what it was called? No good electronics or hobby shops where I live so I hope to find that cable online.

GearLoose said:
Danielhv, I found this tidbit from a post by El Guano, widely known as the Phantom weight-loss guru for his cleverness at shaving grams here-and-there:

"...if you want to REALLY want to go nuts, and I mean bonkers, try using a 4-wire 32AWG cable for that CANbus connection. You'll save 6-8g right there."

Can you please tell me where you found the extension cable or exactly what it was called? No good electronics or hobby shops where I live so I hope to find that cable online.

Thank you! The cable I found was at a place called Tanner electronics in Carrollton Texas. I have been searching for what they call this thing, but can't seem to find the exact one. Give me a little more time, I'm sure I can find one online for you!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94