Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

26awg is more than enough to power the 6v canbus line, and the signal wires don't need anything specific either. I just get 28-30awg wiring a few hundred feet at a time from hansenhobbies.com, they also have terminals, housings and crimping supplies which always seem difficult to find.

GearLoose said:
Danielhv, I found this tidbit from a post by El Guano, widely known as the Phantom weight-loss guru for his cleverness at shaving grams here-and-there:

"...if you want to REALLY want to go nuts, and I mean bonkers, try using a 4-wire 32AWG cable for that CANbus connection. You'll save 6-8g right there."

Can you please tell me where you found the extension cable or exactly what it was called? No good electronics or hobby shops where I live so I hope to find that cable online.

Here ya go!

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Corsair% ... cm%29.html

Reactions: rattydude77

Well, I test flew today! Had issues up front, had the motors in the wrong place (embarrasing), swapped them around, then it was wondering all over the place regardless of GPS mode. I mean it was a fight to keep it right. Read on here about the compass location being on the rear left as your staring at the front of the 1.5... made that move, and all is well! Flight times suck right now, I can't believe how heavy this thing gets when you add a gimbal!! My aftermarket 2800mah batteries are too big to double up in the battery compartment, so I'll be running the dual battery CF trays that mount on the sides, just waiting on my Y cable.

Overall, that was a good learning experience for me. I was new to the phantom when starting this, but now I feel like I have a solid grip on the internals of this thing!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Danielhv said:
Well, I test flew today! Had issues up front, had the motors in the wrong place (embarrasing), swapped them around, then it was wondering all over the place regardless of GPS mode. I mean it was a fight to keep it right. Read on here about the compass location being on the rear left as your staring at the front of the 1.5... made that move, and all is well! Flight times suck right now, I can't believe how heavy this thing gets when you add a gimbal!! My aftermarket 2800mah batteries are too big to double up in the battery compartment, so I'll be running the dual battery CF trays that mount on the sides, just waiting on my Y cable.

Overall, that was a good learning experience for me. I was new to the phantom when starting this, but now I feel like I have a solid grip on the internals of this thing!

Thanks for all the help guys!
It was a fun and learning experience for me too... My first P1.5 crashed so I needed to rebuild it with a new P2 shell... After you do one, you get quick at doing the conversion again, and doing it right...

Hope to see you post some pics of your new P1.5 on here... and possible a flight...

Good Luck!

It's amazing how backwards your mind it's when doing the 1.5 switch, and everything changes orientation. Help me out guys, during compass calibration, I should be battery facing down now that I'm on a 1.5 correct?

Danielhv said:
It's amazing how backwards your mind it's when doing the 1.5 switch, and everything changes orientation. Help me out guys, during compass calibration, I should be battery facing down now that I'm on a 1.5 correct?

Nope, battery is to rear of P2 shell so "tail up"

Danielhv said:

Yeah it does get a little different. A big red bit of tape on the top shell helps when you are in the final stages with 'front' on it. As MC has said the batt should face up in the compass dance but that is only assuming you have the NAZA fitted so that the battery is at the back (which I'd imagine you did).

I have been playing with KK2 and APM recently... think I will have to make use of all the spares I've got and get the P1 shell in the air again as a KK2 sports flyer (minus the legs). I need to stop buying new things so its about time i recycled some of the old :lol:

Hello my fellow dronhakkerz, I have some good new for all of those who have a 1.5 or who are contemplating one. Check out what showed up from HK today (in only 7 days from int'l warehouse!):
u15MlFOh.jpg

If that's hard to read, it's one of the new Multistar 5200mAh 3S 10C lipos, it looked like it might be a good option for 1.5 owners who still want to use non-DJI batts. Here's some of the good news I was talking about:
RJ1Do3ch.jpg

Nice, eh?

It gets better. In fact, I don't even want to spoil it, you gotta follow the links for these:
http://imgur.com/swqIbc5
http://imgur.com/RmFLbwA

Yes, really :cool:

And the fun doesn't stop there. I've only had time so far for one test flight, with my standard full loadout, and it gave me 14:30 which is about the same as some of the lower performing pairs of 2700mAh batts I tested recently. BUT...it looks like I could have pushed it even longer. True to form with the Multistar 6600mAh I tested on my 550 (and 10C batts in general), there was a loooot of sag, and a loooot of time for each .1v of drain. Since I landed at the same 10.6v I've been using for other batts, and this one bounced back to 11.31v afterwards, I could obviously fly this down to ~10.4v, which could equate to a total of 17min or more. More testing as soon as I can.

short version: for 1.5 owners it looks like this may be the standard 3S 5000mAh+ batt we've been waiting for to give us the same flight times as a DJI P2 batt or better...and it's only $25...and it'll fit in the battery bay without modifying the rails. Mine have been chopped up but you can see where they were, and this one fits comfortably between them:
32kEobrh.jpg

If this battery pans out like it looks to be so far, I'll be selling all my singles and pairs of P1-size batts and just using these. I'll probably get another P2 shell as well so I can have an uncarved battery bay again.

Since I'm in a pic-posting kinda mood, here's one more, a neat shot from just before the test flight. One of my internal telemetry sensors has a very bright red LED on it that glows through the side vents:
Zvzr6BVh.jpg

OI Photography said:
So far I LIKE... (except for the 10 C rating)...

Give us a video review of this Batt in action...

Thanks, OI...

Welp, that does it, Imma in. I dumped over the couches and broke into one piggy bank. I just got an upgrade v3 board installed, Need a P2 shell it looks like now. I blame OI P with them new battery pics for my new addition to my poorhouse. :mrgreen: Thanks to all for the links, pics, info and tips. Off to read some more.

Nice Ol P!

Great report OI. These seem to behave very similarly to the Walkera 10C batteries, flying down to 10.4-10.5 for an honest 80% drain.

Thanks, OI... but I'm smiling through the tears, as I just took delivery of my much-needed third DJI P2 battery. Could have had 5 of the Hobby Kings for the price!

ElGuano said:
Great report OI. These seem to behave very similarly to the Walkera 10C batteries, flying down to 10.4-10.5 for an honest 80% drain.

Yep, when I was flying this one and the 6600 4S I could tell you probably would have been able to predict their behavior pretty accurately. I just charged the 5200 3S from the test flight last night, took back 4183mah, from 11.34v. Curious to see how much time I get flying it to 10.4v.

Danielhv said:
Is 10c sufficient?

I'd say as long as it's 4000mAh or more for a Phantom you'll be fine. I haven't managed to get mine to draw more than 30A, so a 10C battery of that capacity or more would deliver enough current.

Had another test flight this evening with the new batt:

I set the voltage limit to 10.4 and let it autoland at that. Took me to 16:28, and bounced back to 10.9v as soon as I stopped the motors. 10 minutes later it was sitting steady at 11.12v. Looks like I've got the voltage dialed in right where I want it for that batt anyway. More tests this weekend with those settings.

Interesting side note: before that test flight I did one with the new Maddog 2800mAh model to see if it's a worthwhile option for regular P1's, and it behaved just about like the Multistar. Not quite as much sag at first, but when I autolanded at 10.6v for that one, it bounced back to 11.3v, so I could probably push that one to 10.4-10.5 as well...I'll give it a shot this weekend. It's a 20C, btw.

That one might be moot anyway though, if the Multistar 4000mAh 3S will fit in the stock P1 battery bay, and delivers like the 2 I tested have.

OI Photography said:
Had another test flight this evening with the new batt:

I set the voltage limit to 10.4 and let it autoland at that. Took me to 16:28, and bounced back to 10.9v as soon as I stopped the motors. 10 minutes later it was sitting steady at 11.12v. Looks like I've got the voltage dialed in right where I want it for that batt anyway. More tests this weekend with those settings.
Was it a "loaded" Phantom (gimbal, camera, etc...)... What was the weight of your P1.5 for this flight... Any Video?

Interesting side note: before that test flight I did one with the new Maddog 2800mAh model to see if it's a worthwhile option for regular P1's, and it behaved just about like the Multistar. Not quite as much sag at first, but when I autolanded at 10.6v for that one, it bounced back to 11.3v, so I could probably push that one to 10.4-10.5 as well...I'll give it a shot this weekend. It's a 20C, btw.
How long was the flight with the 2800mAh Maddog Batt...?

That one might be moot anyway though, if the Multistar 4000mAh 3S will fit in the stock P1 battery bay, and delivers like the 2 I tested have.
Hope it fits... Let us know...

Yep, had the H3-3D, iOSD mini, Immersion Tx, and 40A Current Sensor for a total AUW of 1348g. I'm planning to keep that as my evaluation setup so the only weight variable will be the batt(s).

The maddog 2800 performed...exactly like the maddog 2700, at least when I flew it to 10.6v like I always do with the 35C 2700's. Just over 9min with that same loadout (not sure what the exact AUW was offhand). When I push them a bit farther as it's clear that I can, they might really shine. No video, my test protocol is a 50/50 mix of hovering and lazy-8's around and above my yard, so I'm guessing it would be pretty boring to watch (it bores the hell out of me and probably my neighbors too lol). I can try to grab some footage this weekend, but there's honestly not much visible difference in flight from one batt to the next. I did just get some nifty new mini-tripods, I could probably set one up on the railing of the back deck or something. If everything pans out I may have my NEX5 this week...stay tuned ;)

I just looked at the specs for that 4000mAh 3S Multistar (I haven't ordered one), and it looks like it might be just a bit too big for the P1 bay (too long and maybe too wide), so I'm not sure it's an option, I'd just seen someone mention it as a possibility. TBH if this 5200 3S continues to test well then the maddog 2800 is probably the last P1-size batt I'll test or use, though I might keep a pair of something around as a back up. When I get all the ones that I'm going to let go ready to sell, you and the rest of the 1.5 group can have first dibs on any you want :)

I got 9:00 mins off my new Dinogy 2800 mah with 3D gimbel & camera all weighing 1138g. P1 props killed me, got new P2 props coming. On the new (4 weeks 4 flights) Dinogy battery that swelled up on me, they have a new one coming to me right after I emailed them. Should I tinker with the battery cutoff values or are default settings okay? Thanks OI P.

On these long battery/flight times, what is the life a motor generally? Just curious if more time up in the air will mean motor changes sooner.

I tested the Dinogy always at stock settings (10.7/10.6) and neither of the two I have show any swelling. I just checked again and they feel as tight as ever.

Fred, I'm beginning to think it might be best if you just block my posts in the forum here, I don't know if I can bear the responsibility for the financial ruin you're going to endure if you keep reading them :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West