Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

****, sucks to see that on the maiden voyage.

DeweyAXD said:
Best way to get the cable out is here:

Remove the rear plate (4 screws) and then cut a notch out on the shut line.

IMG_4090.jpg
Sorry for making you repost these pics, saw them earlier in the thread.
Is it possible to open up the V2 LED and solder up a new cable like i've seen on the iOSD mini?
The dji cables seem so bulky.

EDIT: just saw EG's post on djiguys, was waiting for someone to do that.

Thanks guys.... I'm the first to make fun of myself for stupid mistakes which this really was..... Like you say ElGuano we all have them so I'm never one to hide behind them. You can't become an expert in this without seeing both sides of the coin afterall.

Given the investment in time and money for this P1.5 project so far I surprised myself with my reaction. I heard a 'dong', looked up, realised what I'd managed to hit and just burst out laughing :lol:

Just found the £57 ( :shock: )replacement part for the Zenmuse.... ummm no thanks DJI... I'd not pay half that! It gives me excuse to try and design my own 'hot swap' bracket for it (that will make it a **** sight easier to take on and off). Fortunatley I don't use the anti-vibration mount on my Zenmuse ready XuGong so I can still fly that. I've got a Feiyu-Tech G3 gimbal that needs testing too (since the latest firmware update) and that is likely to end up full time on the Phantom. Lots to play about with!

Anyway important thing is that with the 9x5 props it flew really well. Before that sign jumped out of the ground into me ( :? ) I was seeing 11.2v in the iOSD. I believe it would have done another 5+ mins easily but it should be noted that I'd used that battery for nearly all the LED test work and a full IMU reset. Safe to say it was by no means 'brimmed to the max' at take off (I'd of charged it but was worried about rain stopping play!).

I think the Graupners are probably not a great choice for this weight. Too smaller profile. The DJI self tightening props have a lot to do with the P2's solid flight times IMO but I really don't want to have to buy 2 new motors (mine are all clockwise threads).

You can see I'm not exactly doing speed flying and summersaults (ok I did like 3 but they don't count!). It was really solid for nice stable video and even at 1.35kg responded well on descents. The P2 battery is really good for the CG too. Much better than carting one Lipo in the shell and one under the body. Bare in mind that footage is with Graupners that have never even been balanced too.

All in all despite the crash it feels like a great upgrade. Way more testing needed of course. Next research (that someone might point me to) is how to balance charge the P2 batt without the stock charger so I can find out what Mah went back in.

DeweyAXD said:
Video is here....

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ohhh man I'm still wiping the tears from my eyes.

I hate to say it Dewey, but that is the most hilarious tragedy I've ever seen lol. The frame-by-frame flopping around after the collision (where you could just catch a glimpse here and there of the Phantom at odd angles in the air) was completely looney-toons-grade epic :D

Btw I have to say I'm actually amazed at how well your FPV undertray stood up considering the cirumstances, it's deceptively sturdy for how light it is. It's been solid as a rock for me so far in normal use, but I've never, uh....done that to it.

OI Photography said:
DeweyAXD said:
Video is here....

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ohhh man I'm still wiping the tears from my eyes.

I hate to say it Dewey, but that is the most hilarious tragedy I've ever seen lol. The frame-by-frame flopping around after the collision (where you could just catch a glimpse here and there of the Phantom at odd angles in the air) was completely looney-toons-grade epic :D

Btw I have to say I'm actually amazed at how well your FPV undertray stood up considering the cirumstances, it's deceptively sturdy for how light it is. It's been solid as a rock for me so far in normal use, but I've never, uh....done that to it.

:lol: It really is a classic 'fail' moment really. I think I'll chop it out of the main video and just post it as a 'how not to FPV' :roll:

Yeah that Shapeways nylon is pretty durable under a lot of conditions. This was probably a little beyond the design specs on the material sheet though.

2 more frame grabs I got:

crash-2.jpg

crash-3.jpg

Given the distance it bounced I have to tip my hat to DJI.... that shell is one tough cookie! Clearly they must have tested it using the same method I did. Really I only did it for you guys so you could be confident in the new shell (aren't I generous!) :mrgreen: :roll:

EDIT: I also fitted my Zenmuse on my new '3 prong' (snapped) bracket... seems perfectly stable and useable. Elguano... another few grams to shave off that way! :lol:

Must be something in the air... I flew mine indoors yesterday in a 25,000 sq ft ballroom and of all things a 60ft piece of lighting truss jumped out & hit it. Actually I had brain fade and forgot it was in atti mode and BAM, down she came crashed on a stage knocked my Zem off also. Sheared the Zem cable, broke the mount but the bird was still idling on the stage. Picked up new cable & mount $30 at our local Hobby whse (these guys are awesome) I adapted P1 Zem mount and it works great - no way on the $75 P2 Zen mount... I'll post video of ballroom 1st flight, wasn't recording on second flight (no eveidence..)

Nothing compared to the Dewey Flying Circus. You're making Chuck Yaegar look like an amatuer...

EMCSQUAR said:
Must be something in the air... I flew mine indoors yesterday in a 25,000 sq ft ballroom and of all things a 60ft piece of lighting truss jumped out & hit it. Actually I had brain fade and forgot it was in atti mode and BAM, down she came crashed on a stage knocked my Zem off also. Sheared the Zem cable, broke the mount but the bird was still idling on the stage. Picked up new cable & mount $30 at our local Hobby whse (these guys are awesome) I adapted P1 Zem mount and it works great - no way on the $75 P2 Zen mount... I'll post video of ballroom 1st flight, wasn't recording on second flight (no eveidence..)

Nothing compared to the Dewey Flying Circus. You're making Chuck Yaegar look like an amatuer...

Oh dear maybe the 1.5's are cursed! I bet indoor flying is no picnic either! I think I'll need a new Zem cable to be safe. The old one was pretty beaten from squeezing it through the P1 leg holes anyway.

D3,
Are you using the stock P2 battery charger to charge the p2 batteries?
Seems like any charger would do. From the charger features...

"Unlike typical RC aircraft battery systems, this charger only requires a single DC power connection between itself and the battery. Power regulation is handled within the battery eliminating the need for a separate balance lead."

Might take the plunge and buy one for $160 plus $40 charger and $15 power lead.
$215 will buy a lot of lipos but not one as lightweight or plug-n-play.
He'll I'm still running the stock battery for 7mins haha
(Gopro 3b, no gimbal, fatshark vtx, tiny osd3)

gen3benz said:
Is it possible to open up the V2 LED and solder up a new cable like i've seen on the iOSD mini?

Hey, gen3benz...

Can you set me up with a link on the DJIGuys web site so I can see that too?

Thanks!

PJA said:
gen3benz said:

Hey, gen3benz...

Can you set me up with a link on the DJIGuys web site so I can see that too?

Thanks!
No problem mate

http://www.djiguys.com/Forum/viewtopic. ... 2&start=30
It's the 2nd post down

This was posted on the RCGroups.com forums, and I thought I'd post it here since we are talking about an integrated P1/P2 build...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA1cWjFD1Cw#t=602
(I couldn't get the YouTube linked correctly... Don't know why...)

Is there a better way to get or make the cable for the Lipo charger?

I was thinking about the Female XT60 to Male Traxxas Connector Adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Female-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7c15b81a

Just cut off the plastic back...

And what about balancing this monster battery? Any ideas?

I saw this guy's video that showed his Phantom 1.5 conversion. He posted a link to some pictures of his mod...

Here is a Battery Conversion idea he had. I kinda like it... Both of best worlds tucked in neatly...

Mr. D... Any idea how you may be able to create a battery door that can handle his mod? It's hard to squeeze two battery cables and a splitter under and large door.

Links below:

12264655864_3e5cd9486c_c.jpg

12082208804_59de11893c_c.jpg

12082473496_b7af2a08d7_c.jpg

12264796166_5d97a42419_c.jpg

Link to his Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76185924@N05/12081823245/in/photostream/

Link to his YouTube Video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTlR1dUpT9c[/youtube]

The above is a nice idea, but if yours is as loaded with FPV, OSD, PMU as mine is, it's easier to just purchase the "Y" cable. I just plug Y in, load two batts and plug the dual end in last. With my set up I'll still be able to use the "soon to be Dewey door" over the cables instead of trying to "finagle" around 2 XT60 plugs.

BTW: the above video was the other reference I used with Deweys'

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 960

These 2600mah are 116x39x21
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems ... ah-3s.html
Would be a little tall(trim) and long(deep battery door) but at 42mm wouldn't they slide without removing the P2 cable?
Maybe a battery door with the P2 spades built in, put the push button locks on the sides.
I'm about to duct tape the lipos in haha

Could always apply velco to batts - seen a couple of folks doing that.

The first picture shows one way the cables will fit with minimal amount to tuck under a battery door... A Y connector cable is included... However, I still haven't snaked in the power cord from the circuit board (obviously I haven't started the transfer yet).

The second photo shows you the two batteries tucked in with cables out.. The Y connector is also included... and I haven't snaked through a power cord here either. This will have to be a mighty LARGE battery door to handle all these wires...

12452043703_b02e42494b_b.jpg

I think a very large battery door looks very ugly:

674x501_1650878_2053720_1391465188.jpg

PJA said:
I think a very large batter door looks very ugly:

674x501_1650878_2053720_1391465188.jpg
Yeah, that's pretty ugly
Does someone sell that door?

gen3benz said:
These 2600mah are 116x39x21
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems ... ah-3s.html
Would be a little tall(trim) and long(deep battery door) but at 42mm wouldn't they slide without removing the P2 cable?
Maybe a battery door with the P2 spades built in, put the push button locks on the sides.
I'm about to duct tape the lipos in haha

39mm is definitely on the way-tall side, at least for a Phantom 1. Definitely make sure you have the space under the mainboard (and battery door opening) to fit those.

That could look way better if it had a cosmetic taper, or wedge, or something. Anything.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94