Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

DeweyAXD said:
I will make it so there is a hole for a USB cable to come through too but gen3benzy has a point and it could be rotated for that to work..... would be a tight squeeze though. Not my personal choice but others may want it as an option.

OK, Mr. D... If you are only designing that LED on the door version for me, then you can nix that idea and save the effort... I think, like others, I would rather have a plain door and I'll mount the v2 LED under the Phantom...

I'm hoping EMCSQUAR will get back to us on how he mounted it on his Phantom, or maybe you can throw around some ideas also, Mr. D...

Best way to get the cable out is here:

Remove the rear plate (4 screws) and then cut a notch out on the shut line.

IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

Let me run this by you, Mr. D (and others)...

I purchased this cable online (not on eBay, but I found it there and it's the same cable): http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item3f2f848356

It's the original Phantom Vision 2 Power Supply Cable used to power the P2 battery. I finally took it out of the package and toyed around with it. Obviously it will fit the P2 battery perfectly, but would that bottom connection get in the way of the "intelligence technology" and not make the connection work to the Positive and Negative clips. Would I have to cut that bottom connection off? I don't have a P2 Battery available to try it, but if it does work, then this cable would make it easier to use the P2 Batts besides the lipos...

As you can see by the pictures posted below, the power supply cable fits perfectly and doesn't get in the way of adding 2 lipo batteries into the bay compartment. Even though I haven't added a lipo battery connection from the Phantom 1, there is plenty of room in the bay to snake one through...

I put two Turnigy nano-tech 2.2mah in and they fit pretty snugly, however, I don't see how all those connector cables are going to fit under a 3D door unless it is deep. Remember, you have to add a parallel connection cable also... I don't really want to start soldering two batteries together just to satisfy a connection problem. There has to be a cleaner and easier way... I also have the 2700mah Maddog Batteries and they are too big to fit side by side in the bay... I guess there are limitations either way...

12418834525_fe3b1f8cbd_k.jpg

You'll be fine using that PJA. The two prongs send info from the batt board via the small cable but as long as its not plugged in then it will just act like a 5200 3s. Its pretty much the ideal solution to be honest and a route i will likely go myself when one of those DJI spares becomes available in the UK.

Tried finding the answer in the 11 pages here, sorry if it's been addressed already. But would you be able to squeeze 2 Dinogy batteries in the P2 shell?

PJA said:
Wow. So much of the battery compartment is blocked by that standoff and the P2 spade connectors. Will two maddogs fit in the opening if the connector wasn't there? It makes me wonder if, door aside, the P2 bottom shell is really much wider at all?

ElGuano said:
PJA said:
Wow. So much of the battery compartment is blocked by that standoff and the P2 spade connectors. Will two maddogs fit in the opening if the connector wasn't there? It makes me wonder if, door aside, the P2 bottom shell is really much wider at all?

If you can shave the standoff's you'll gain about 10-15mm width for battery. It is really a decision you just have to make when you first get the P2 shell though. The actual battery 'tray' the width of two stock 2200's on their side. I can't fit my nano-techs side by side in there without shaving.... It'll still fit a LOT of battery though if you pick the right one.

As per "Heliry" and "ElGuano,"

Two 2700 MADDOGS WON'T fit in the compartment with the PV2 Power Supply in it. They will also not fit because of the track, on the plug side, which is in the way. I guess you can cut out that part of the track for the batteries to fit. But then using a P2 battery would be out of the question since the track also has a clip in the rear which probably holds the battery in a straight position... Look at the pics I posted...

As for two Dinogy batteries, if they are as large as the 2700 Maddogs, NO! If they are the same size as the stock 2200 Phantom 1 batteries, then YES... Two batteries will fit in the bay compartment the way it is... (no surgery needed).

12422616183_a730befa10_b.jpg

DeweyAXD said:
If you can shave the standoff's you'll gain about 10-15mm width for battery. It is really a decision you just have to make when you first get the P2 shell though. The actual battery 'tray' the width of two stock 2200's on their side. I can't fit my nano-techs side by side in there without shaving.... It'll still fit a LOT of battery though if you pick the right one.

Sorry, my quote misformat tricked you into attributing the quote to PJA instead of me.

So, this is what I have:

4400: 41mm wide.
2x2200: 43-46mm, give or take.
P2 5200mah: 47mm.
5400: 55mm.
2x2700: 56-57mm.

Sounds like there should be enough space to just fit a 5400mah battery, if you give up the connect-on-insert convenience of optionally running a P2 battery. But the P2 shell still has rails that need to be shaved for some larger 2200s and higher capacity batteries. Very interesting.

Given that the P1's battery bay is JUST BARELY wide enough to fit a 55mm wide battery, I wonder what we can stuff into a P2's shaved 57-62mm cavity...

"DeweyAXD"

I don't think I'd like to shave that track, standoff, down... It might also be a structural part of the bottom vision shell... I'd hate to weaken it... I agree with you, Mr D... Plenty of batteries out there that would fit the bay and add time to a flight...

PJA said:
"DeweyAXD"

I don't think I'd like to shave that track, standoff, down... It might also be a structural part of the bottom vision shell... I'd hate to weaken it... I agree with you, Mr D... Plenty of batteries out there that would fit the bay and add time to a flight...

If the P2 shell is like the P1, the various ribs and standoffs aren't a huge deal if you make the permanent decision not to use them :) You should see everything potentially "structural" that's come off my P1.

:lol: I've seen your P1 shaving! Brilliant... I agree you could shave a load of plastic out of the shell without causing any real weakness in the important places. The fact it is a single molded piece helps a ton on that anyway. Once again it all comes down to personal preferences.

Seems the wind is dying down and a glimpse of sun lunch time tomorrow.... P2 battery fully charged already so if I can get it all together in time I might just give it a full length flight! Suffice to say I will be really bummed out if I bin this into a tree and or river on the first test!! :lol:

DeweyAXD said:
Suffice to say I will be really bummed out if I bin this into a tree and or river on the first test!! :lol:

Everyone reading this thread take note of what I said above.... comical update is coming soon. Safe to say I found something much more solid to hit :roll:

Sneak preview....

crash-1.jpg

Given this is shot from the H3 in the Zenmuse, you can see good things are probably not happening here! :oops: :lol:

Is that the new Zenmuse anchor?

Omg, if you're saying your gimbal was knocked clean off the phantom... :O is that a rubber-ball mount flying through the air??

On the bright side, what an incredible shot! Submit it to the acro forums and see what they say :)

I'm starting to question the validity of that picture...there's actually some blue visible in the sky, which indicates it clearly couldn't have been taken anywhere in the UK. :lol:

Hmmm, a rubber ball with jello.

:lol: 60fps certainly has its entertainment value when you do balls it all up like this that is for sure. I must admit this crash was so embarrassing it just made me laugh (especially given my comment yesterday!).

Yep that is a rubber anti vibration dampner leaving at pace! Oh and don't let that patch of blue sky fool you... you can see the rain heading in on the video! :lol:

Video is here.... the first 8 mins are just showing that the P1.5 concept does in fact work flawlessly even at 1350g AUW and the flooding in South Oxfordshire right now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmnOs7QQH0s[/youtube]

If you get bored go to 8 mins.... it proves that accidentally shielding the 5.8ghz FPV signal with a smart car while using a monitor can make bad things happen! Sign - 1 vs Phantom - 0.

Damage:

IMG_4152.jpg

Zenmuse Upper bracket snapped (no idea where the other bit went)

IMG_4155.jpg

2 props chipped (others look ok but I'll not take the risk of using them)

IMG_4150.jpg

8 pin cable housing damaged but still useable

IMG_4149.jpg

FPV Undertray.... no major loss as I have the P2 prototype on its way and this P1 version makes removing removing the P2 batter impossible.

It landed like this...

landing-spot.jpg

a lot softer than the track bed that is for sure. P2 battery popped itself out with no damage at all thank goodness. Everything under the shell is fine too and not even a mark on the shell itself somehow!

H3 being the tough little bugger that it is has no issues and no marks or signs of damage on the Zenmuse chassis. I'll test it at some point so fingers crossed.

So I get to laugh this one off at least.... ironically it is the same spot that my XuGong 10 slipped a prop when flying on T-motor CF props for the first time. I think I'll find a new spot to fly :lol:

Wow, that's an embarrassing one! :D what bad timing to lose fpv right then! We've all been there though, just not all of us are man enough to admit it, thanks for sharing the vid.

Two slightly more serious points to me: 1. Seems like the zenmuse bracket breaks for Everyone. It's a $75 replacement part and IMO is way too fragile. 2. The p2 battery seems to fall out during crashes regularly as well, to the point where the p2/v guys regularly run secondary batteries for stuff (e.g., if they don't want GPS trackers, beacons or fpv losing signal on crashes). I'm not sure if it's by design, and i'm unsure if I like this or not. Maybe it helps reduce impact strain on the battery, maybe it risks puncture/permanant damage as it tumbles onto sharp rocks??

Wow! What a soggy area you live in... My arthritic bones wouldn't be able to take that... :shock:

I would consider your first Phantom 1.5 flight to be PERFECT... accept for that sign getting in the way... Didn't expect it... and when you hit, Mr. D., sorry, but I burst out laughing :lol: ... What a shame... Never saw it coming... :eek:

How much more flight time do you think you would have gotten out of the P2 battery if you didn't have that mishap?

I look forward to your detailed analysis on how the Phantom 1.5 reacted in flight... It looked GREAT to me... smooth take off and camera pans...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers