Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

ElGuano said:
I don't see cross-purposes here. You can take this mod as far as you want. Just do the transplant and relocate the LED and you can be done. Want to use the p2 battery instead? Do x more. Want to use any battery that fits including the p2 battery? Add y. Want to have dual LEDs? Etc. Etc. The natural next step is to see how far this mod can go, but it doesn't obligate anyone who wants to do it to go all the way.

Agreed... Just didn't expect DeweyAXD to take it to this level so fast...

I'm still in the planning stages. I only have the shell. Waiting on a custom P2 door from Mr. D to see which way I want to go for the LED placement. I also want to replace my GLB Gimbal with a Zenmuse H3-2D and I guess I'll include the circuit board that goes with it...

Going on a trip in a couple weeks and I want to take my present P1 with me one last time (cause I know it works fine)... I'll start my P2 Hybrid build when I get back...

The P2 battery discharges like any standard lipo (once turned on). It's the P2's special Naza that gets offended and requires a handshake to work with a battery.

Well, there you go... I knew it was something like that... Thanks for the info!

EMCSQUAR said:
DeweyAXD said:
Question for MC (and others) - How the hell did you manage to fit the P2 battery and that XT60 converter into the shell? This is my next challenge to face and my first version of the connecter that I made was way to fat (my own fault for not checking).

Sir Dewey,
1st I extended Phantom cable around to side where P2 pins connect, routing cable over that small bridge (left side as looking in battery cavity) I "trained cable over bridge so everytime I install battery it flexs just over the bridge. I'll post pics when I reassemble (she's getting a high visibilty paint job)

Here you go Dewey - she's still tacky

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 591

PJA said:
ElGuano said:
I don't see cross-purposes here. You can take this mod as far as you want. Just do the transplant and relocate the LED and you can be done. Want to use the p2 battery instead? Do x more. Want to use any battery that fits including the p2 battery? Add y. Want to have dual LEDs? Etc. Etc. The natural next step is to see how far this mod can go, but it doesn't obligate anyone who wants to do it to go all the way.

Agreed... Just didn't expect DeweyAXD to take it to this level so fast...

I see is as the more money EG and D3 spend on mistakes the less I have too. :mrgreen:
(Just re-read that and it didn't come out right, they aren't making mistakes, just doing the research so I don't make the mistakes.)

Dewey,
Are you using your USB hole in the P2?
I have been looking for the P2 USB circuit board, prolly just use the USB port on the led.

lol no no no.... I make plenty of mistakes trust me! I think this hobby is all about making mistakes and learning from them... otherwise you are just on borrowed time until one happens :lol: Safe to say I shouldn't become a heart surgeon with that attitude :p

I'm not using the USB hole on the P2 Shell personally. I just put the rubber blank it in. The P2 USB board comes with the P2/PV Mainboard which you can buy (so it'll set you back £50 just for it). NAZA v2 LED is the better way to go IMO.

Little preview of the P2 Battery Door.....

P2-Door-1.jpg

P2-Door-2.jpg

I've uploaded this design to shapeways and it will retail for about $25. Once I know it fits and works I will then do a series of versions (don't worry you can have a plane one without my branding!). Safe to say that I can probably 'swiss cheese' it a lot further too so for those that want it functional, cheap but a little 'holey' there will be an option.

Without having any holes in it at all buts it up about $7 due to the extra material. I feel a bit bad undercutting whoever makes the $50 ones (I will be the first to admit they look better than mine) but its just too much for this item and I think people will prefer function over form if the price is right. Hell we've all spent too much just getting to a stage where we need a batt door!!.

DeweyAXD said:
The P2 USB board comes with the P2/PV Mainboard which you can buy (so it'll set you back £50 just for it). NAZA v2 LED is the better way to go IMO.
I knew it! They couldnt just make it detachable. Oh well, ill get the v2 LED.

DeweyAXD said:
Little preview of the P2 Battery Door.....
Nice! Cant wait to order a door, gonna order a frame'ish at the same time to save on shipping.

DeweyAXD said:
I've uploaded this design to shapeways and it will retail for about $25. Once I know it fits and works I will then do a series of versions (don't worry you can have a plane one without my branding!). Safe to say that I can probably 'swiss cheese' it a lot further too so for those that want it functional, cheap but a little 'holey' there will be an option.

Without having any holes in it at all buts it up about $7 due to the extra material. I feel a bit bad undercutting whoever makes the $50 ones (I will be the first to admit they look better than mine) but its just too much for this item and I think people will prefer function over form if the price is right. Hell we've all spent too much just getting to a stage where we need a batt door!!.

Interesting... Can you design a battery door that has a hole in it for the original Phantom 1 LED as this guy has done? He posted pictures at the end of his picture presentation...

http://imgur.com/a/j3wez#18

LMK... Thanks, Mr. D...

PJA said:
DeweyAXD said:

Interesting... Can you design a battery door that has a hole in it for the original Phantom 1 LED as this guy has done? He posted pictures at the end of his picture presentation...

LMK... Thanks, Mr. D...

I see some problems with that (none of which are huge, but certainly a bit annoying):

1. The door is removable, you'd have to disconnect the LED servo every time you change a battery.

2. The battery would press against the LED and cable when inserted. I don't have a problem with the cables pressing the board on a stock phantom since it has a guard rail that limits the battery's travel, but this end has no such protection.

3. The USB port is partially blocked. You'd need yet another extension cable coming out the door, or a hole big enough for a cable to plug in from the top.

PJA said:

ElGuano said:
I see some problems with that (none of which are huge, but certainly a bit annoying):

1. The door is removable, you'd have to disconnect the LED servo every time you change a battery.

I was aware of that, but shouldn't be too annoying...

2. The battery would press against the LED and cable when inserted. I don't have a problem with the cables pressing the board on a stock phantom since it has a guard rail that limits the battery's travel, but this end has no such protection.

Maybe there can be some sort of protection plate designed to protect the LED on the door as in this design for an Original Phantom Door with Dual Connectors, (see the 8th & 9th pictures): http://www.shapeways.com/model/1059...grade-kit.html?li=search-results&materialId=6

3. The USB port is partially blocked. You'd need yet another extension cable coming out the door, or a hole big enough for a cable to plug in from the top.

An access port can be cut out for the USB cable on top of the door, (as is done here for dual cable placement): http://www.shapeways.com/model/1429...r-upgrade.html?li=search-results&materialId=6...

All you need to do is plug the USB cable in whenever you need to upgrade or adjust your firmware. You will also have less weight without the cable inside the Phantom.

I only mention these things because rear LED placement has been vexing me for months. There are a few different solutions out there, but what i've currently settled on is not a very clean, stock looking solution. Mine works fine, but clashes with my ethos of finding a way to make things cleaner, lighter, and as invisible as possible.

If you have to disconnect the led every time you open the door, I'd definitely recommend reinforcing the wiring so it doesn't pull out of the naza or servo.

All good points. I'll make one for the stock P1 LED and one that has my v2 NAZA LED mount built in too (with a 45 degree downward angle).

Once I've got a working template/clips I can make different version very easily and cost will just come down to how much material they have.

Thought I'd post this in here too:

A cheeky first look at the P2 version of my FPV undertray....

P2-Undertray-2.jpg

P2-Undertray-1.jpg

All the same basic elements of the original but had to lower the TX holder to make thumb/finger room so the P2 battery clips (or door clips) can be accessed. The extra bracing has only added a couple of dollars to the material cost.

This one is for the original Zenmuse bracket but I will of course have to do one for the P2 bracket when I can get hold of one (or get accurate enough dimensions).

p.s ... sorry to those who get repeats from DJIguys site ;)

ElGuano said:
DeweyAXD said:
Main work was on adding the v2 LED along side the stock LED (so I have one front and back).

I had EXACTLY this spliced setup on my phantom for a while. Make sure the USB (either) still works with the splice, mine didn't and I needed to disconnect the ground to one of them to get it working. That's mainly why I dropped the front LED and stuck with the back.

Quote from a while back Elguano but yes this is a problem... USB gets confused when plugged in and doesn't connected unless one of the boards is out of the loop. Options are limited without a whole lot of complex arduino work (which I really can't be bothered with). If I can find a very small lightweigh 2 pole switch I might wire the ground of the stock LED into it so I can flip it to 'off' when I want to use USB. Bit of a hassle though and more solder, heatshrink and hence weight!

Once again one of those things where it was fun to try but might just be overkill for my needs (especially if I drop iOSD in there anyway).

PJA said:
Can a cable like this work as an adapter for a P2 Battery in our P1 Hybrids?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Female-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7c15b81a

I guess you can cut the black plastic off the Male Traxxas Connector so it can fit into the Phantom 2 Battery... Is this possible?

PJA you star!!!
Yes that looks like it will work perfectly (looks exactly like what MC is using). Best of all is they have them on ebay UK too!! I spent ages looking for Phantom 2 to XT60 plugs when it seems the RC world already made them! :lol:

I just purchased one. The one i made is 'ok' but i bet this will be better. Only thing is that you might want to resolder it so the wires come off the traxxas plug at a raised angle so it avoids the plastic screw point. I'll have mine by tuesday hopefully so will try it and post pics.

Thought I'd share video of pre flight checks (going to fly inside a ballroom today ahaa) Apologies for Iphone quality - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdIW9F4T ... e=youtu.be

Footnote: Hard to believe but I had GPS lock on 6 sats in my basement...

EMCSQUAR said:
Thought I'd share video of pre flight checks (going to fly inside a ballroom today ahaa) Apologies for Iphone quality - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdIW9F4T ... e=youtu.be

Footnote: Hard to believe but I had GPS lock on 6 sats in my basement...

Looking great MC! The forecast suggests the wind and rain might break for a few hours Monday morning so I might push for a first proper flight myself!

Mock up design of the battery door with v2 LED clip inbedded:

v2-LED-Door.jpg

Standard version shown above. Cable hangs down, USB port accessed from above.

v2-LED-Door-45.jpg

45 degree version (easier to see when up high)

Very Cool designs - put me down for a plain one...

PJA said:

Couldnt you just turn the board 90 degrees and have plenty of room so stuff a usb cable in it when you need it to update/calibrate?
Without having to drill/draw another hole in it.

"gen3benz"
Couldnt you just turn the board 90 degrees and have plenty of room so stuff a usb cable in it when you need it to update/calibrate?
Without having to drill/draw another hole in it.

Yeah, I was thinking that it would be too cumbersome to have an original Phantom LED on the door.

I think if I want to use my Lipos or an Original P2 Battery, then the placement of the LED should be like EMCSQUAR's version. Having the v2 LED under the body seems like the way to go... It will never be in the way of changing battery doors and/or using an original P2 Battery...

PS: EMCSQUAR... How did you mount the v2 LED on your Phantom to keep it straight and vertical?

file.php

Sorry didn't reply to that request PJA.

Yeah making a design that will work with the stock board is on my list to do as an option. I will make it so there is a hole for a USB cable to come through too but gen3benzy has a point and it could be rotated for that to work..... would be a tight squeeze though. Not my personal choice but others may want it as an option.

So many different ways to do this and it really comes down to personal preference, wiring skills, weight, looks and of course budget.

I've found a little 3g 2 pole switch so I'm going to keep my 2 led setup and wire this in so I can activate the USB function when needed.... if that works.

PJA said:
I think if I want to use my Lipos or an Original P2 Battery, then the placement of the LED should be like EMCSQUAR's version. Having the v2 LED under the body seems like the way to go... It will never be in the way of changing battery doors and/or using an original P2 Battery..
Yeah, couldn't use a P2 battery. Not that it matters to me, im too cheap to buy one right now... haha

Think i'm liking the 45 degree v2 led battery door at the moment.
Where does the cable go through at?
Looks like EMC just opened up a hole one of the legs?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr