Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

DeweyAXD said:
Yep we'll all me laughin at those that bought a P2.... and then of course DJI will bring out the 3 Axis Zenmuse or some other fantastic 'must have' gadget that will only work with the P2 Firmware :lol:

Local shop says they'll have in this week an add on 3rd axis for Zenmuse gimbal. I saw pics but haven't seen it up close. It looks like a board & motor mounted above Zenmuse - according to them - retail $180... I'll check it out later this week.

So, Mr. DeweyAXD... I watched your video intently and ordered my PV2 shell today. I was waiting for someone to post details on the possibility of using a PV2 bottom shell for extended battery time without drastically modifying my P1 door.

I wanted to ask you, when can we expect a 3D Printed Door for the PV2 battery opening from Shapeways?

What are you using or doing in the meantime to keep your batteries from falling out the opening?

I'm also impressed by the placement of the LED Status light. I'll probably do it the same way...

Thanks for the post...

P2 shell battery doors can be found on eBay already.

I kind of expected you to try to mount the guts of the P1 in the P2 shell with the battery opening facing forward. And then fit the LED above the USB port as you did which would then be at the rear of the hybrid. Aren't the mounting points sufficiently symmetrical to allow for that configuration?

Battery door at half the price of a shell. Wow.

Mr. DeweyAXD... I watched your video intently

Thanks PJA. Glad it came of use!

Yes that e-bay battery door is pretty steep. Good design I'm sure but if the designer had 'swiss cheesed' it in the right places it would use a lot less material and thus be cheaper. It is a big door so mine won't be super cheap (all comes down to the cm3 of material used) but it should be at least 2/3 the price of that (maybe even half that).

Aren't the mounting points sufficiently symmetrical to allow for that configuration?

The mounting points maybe but the board itself isn't. There is a tab at the front of the board:

D7895E0D-FE6F-4197-8423-C8914826C331.jpg

This would need chopping off to be able to rotate it.

Easy way would be to remove the NAZA, rotate it 180 degrees and stick it back down so it points to the battery opening. You would then have to turn the top shell round too (or take the GPS out of it and turn it around 180 degrees if that is possible). You would also need to extend the EXPO cable (as it is soldered to the board near that end of the NAZA).

Anything is possible as always. I actually like the idea of the LED at the front because generally at the latter stages of battery life I am coming back toward me, not going away. Plus with the Can-Bus port now working I think i will invest in a second iOSD mini (as I want one on my XuGong10).

What are you using or doing in the meantime to keep your batteries from falling out the opening?

Personally I will be using velcro for test flights. Two squares of adhesive velcro eiter side of the opening and then a velcor strap across it to prevent sliding. Depending on what batteries I use I migh pad out the space to make it a tight fit too.

Interesting I fitted my giant 5800mah 4s just for giggles last night (just to see the size). Its dimensions are 145 x 50 x 37. Looked like this.

IMG_4043.jpg

It is a squeeze but does fit.

The 3s equivilent is smaller (143x51x28mm) and lighter at 465g: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 00%20Zippy

I found this last night. A 6400 mah with really good dimensions (137 x 41 x 44mm) and 506g: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... e_UK_.html

It may well transpire that the weight difference between these two negate the extra Mah.

DeweyAXD said:
Aren't the mounting points sufficiently symmetrical to allow for that configuration?

The mounting points maybe but the board itself isn't. There is a tab at the front of the board:

Would it be possible to mount two plastic or metal strips between the mounting points in the shell in which you could drill holes and use those to mount the board in a position that would make it fit?

Big Ben said:
DeweyAXD said:

Would it be possible to mount two plastic or metal strips between the mounting points in the shell in which you could drill holes and use those to mount the board in a position that would make it fit?

Yep that could work. As long as they are fixed down nice and tight to prevent any movement would be possible and indeed a good option. A couple of stips 2mm ABS plastic would be best (lighter than metal and inert to electrics!). Again it depends on your setup. That pic I posted is the P1 shell (not P2). I don't have the stock RX either which has its own fixing points that would need to be considered.

It really comes down to why you would want the opening at the front. Is it so the LED is at the back? If so extending the LED wires is a better option and just mount the LED board somewhere else (like under an arm).

DeweyAXD said:
It really comes down to why you would want the opening at the front. Is it so the LED is at the back?.

Yes. I believe you mentioned yourself that the LED light at the front might become visible in videos. Also people are used to it being at the rear so no need for a 'conversion period' with the possibility of control mistakes.

Dewey After watching your video a couple of times I think once my shell gets here I'm going to put the LED in the lid (above the battery opening) and extend the USB cable to the port opening in the front.

I'm doing the conversion for a couple of reasons - space being the main one. Currently in my P1 I have the Futaba RX, a video Rx, Iosd mini, PMU v2 and Zenmuse modules all packed under the lid and it's tight. The HPI guy (youtube) just did video on IOSD mini install and showed modules fitting vertically in P2 shell which will help clean up wiring space. Next benefit is battery options - either use P2 battery with XT60 cable/adapter or dual internal 3s for the extended flight times. I'm also fitting aftermarket landing gear that I've redesigned (w/aluminum plate) to hold GTU 10 on one side and video rx other for cog balance. The aluminum plate is rigid but light and can take hard landings without ripping loose of body. (ask me how I know)

Thanks for your intutive video

Big Ben said:
DeweyAXD said:
It really comes down to why you would want the opening at the front. Is it so the LED is at the back?.

Yes. I believe you mentioned yourself that the LED light at the front might become visible in videos. Also people are used to it being at the rear so no need for a 'conversion period' with the possibility of control mistakes.

Yeah that position won't be good for night flyers as it might get in the camera.

Best solution for this would be to scrap the PCB LED board and buy a NAZA v2 LED: http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/DJI- ... v2-led.htm

Pretty cheap as DJI parts go. Then to mount it I would hold the top shell and bottom shell together (or screw them together temporarily) then make a hole right on the join at the rear. Just above the battery (black spot here):

b059d4f3-84c7-4c1e-8863-f8f9b1c3adf6.jpg

Plug the LED in with the shell opened up again, place the cable on the lower half of the hole made and then close the shell again (thus not needing to cut a big hole or the cable). You then can mount that LED with a sticky pad above the battery hole or on a leg or wherever you like.

Warning: sales pitch coming ;) - You could even use one of my 45 degree mounts under the Phantom :D

IMG_3505.jpg

(shown is the F450 version but I do a generic one too that would work for this).

EMCSQUAR said:
I'm also fitting aftermarket landing gear that I've redesigned (w/aluminum plate) to hold GTU 10 on one side

Awww see I missed another sales pitch option for my GTU10 mount! :lol:

IMG_3461.jpg

Seriously though yes I think to make a bit more space as per Richard 'Wheels' Whelans vid (HPI Guy) is a good idea.

DeweyAXD said:
EMCSQUAR said:
I'm also fitting aftermarket landing gear that I've redesigned (w/aluminum plate) to hold GTU 10 on one side

Awww see I missed another sales pitch option for my GTU10 mount! :lol:

Seriously though yes I think to make a bit more space as per Richard 'Wheels' Whelans vid (HPI Guy) is a good idea.

You didn't miss a sales opportunity - I'm an avid supporter of yours and have inspired a few that I help to purchase your goodies.

DeweyAXD said:
Yeah that position won't be good for night flyers as it might get in the camera.

I had an LED in front, and one in back for a while. it's hard to get it so that it's not in the way of the camera and at the same time still visible at altitude. In the end, a 30-40 degree raised downward facing rear LED is most visible. The red LED is more visible than the green, and I've found as long as you can see the ESC LEDs, you can see if the red starts blinking (hopefully enough time for you to get it back home and landed).

Of all the features I envy most on the P2 its the ESC mounted LED status. It just makes more sense to me. A hack to make the ESC's do this on the Phantom "1.5" (as we'll call it) would be very welcome as long as it doesn't pin you down to P2 firmware.

I played around with Arduino last year to see if I could do something like that but it was just too involved to continue and the extra wiring and soldering all adds up to space and weight useage too.

iOSD is a blessing for that of course.

There's a prebaked arduino solution to do almost exactly this, just for you. If it doesn't get posted before I get home, I'll add it here.

ElGuano said:
There's a prebaked arduino solution to do almost exactly this, just for you. If it doesn't get posted before I get home, I'll add it here.

Sounds interesting! Look forward to seeing it.

Thanks Dewey for the info on NAZA V2 LED, my local shop had a couple in stock and yes - extremely inexpensive.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20