Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Gentlemen, I told you my latest venture would start a chain reaction. Phase 1 is done, see if you can follow this: Took P1 Naza, GPS and compass and loaded it on spare P2 shell I had. Then installed E300 motors & ESCs. And yes she flys extremely well. So well (I believe EL G mentioned) that I had to roll back gains. I used my previous gains and she had wild convulsions. I lowered to P1 default and she still had the shakes - I ended up w/ 100/100/130/100 - 100/100 and she is as smooth as glass. Haven't had a chance at time run yet because I've been dodging rain - but w/P2 battery and E300 set up using stock NAZA it's pretty impressive.

Next step on my P1.5 that's loaded - so far installed "puck" in lid (and yes it fits) which also eliminated compass - (V2 kit is combo unit) and NAZA M V2 - just taking break before I load in E300s.

Yes the E300s fit with minor interior trimming - a few teaser pics

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 435
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 412

Hey Mr. EM C...

I'm liking what you're doing... I hope you give us more teaser shots than that... Please add some interior shots of the E300 kit in the Phantom 2 shell when you get a chance... Would also like to see how you put the GPS puck in the lid too...

I like the color choices you picked for the Phantom shell...

What's the name of your landing gear on the P 1.5...? How heavy are they...?

Thanks... :)

I've been following this thread for awhile and really like the mods you guys have done.
I have finally decided to put my 1.1.1 in the 2 shell. I have a question about the motor
positions though. Everything lines up inside the shell perfectly but I noticed that the front
is now the back (where the red strips are). Did you have to move the connections on the
Naza for the motors (1 to 3, 2 to 4, 3 to 1, 4 to 2)?

When I did the swap I noticed same thing - you can do 2 ways - "as is" and it works the same as P1 - the corners & rotation of motors are the same just the battery cable will have to be extended, OR spin the board 180 degrees and you'll have power cable for battery come up to left (looking from rear) as P1 - only thing that is important is NAZA is facing forward as it was in P1.

I've been following this thread for awhile and really like the mods you guys have done.
I have finally decided to put my 1.1.1 in the 2 shell. I have a question about the motor
positions though. Everything lines up inside the shell perfectly but I noticed that the front
is now the back (where the red strips are). Did you have to move the connections on the
Naza for the motors (1 to 3, 2 to 4, 3 to 1, 4 to 2)?

+1 for MC's answer which pretty much somes it up nicely there. The most important thing to remember is the GPS module in the lid needs to point in the same direction as the NAZA or very bad things will happen very fast. Personally I find having the battery at the back better as you tend to be flying 'nose down' more than 'nose up' .... this means the battery has less chance of falling out (if using standard lipos).

One suggestion id you do the 'as is' is to move the NAZA toward the nose a little because 'as is' there is very little space for the v2 LED standard plug.

In terms of motors. Assume you are looking down at the NAZA with it pointing forward... you just need to make sure that M1 = Top Right, M2 Top Left, M3 Bottom left, M4 Bottom right.

PJA said:
Hey Mr. EM C...

I'm liking what you're doing... I hope you give us more teaser shots than that... Please add some interior shots of the E300 kit in the Phantom 2 shell when you get a chance... Would also like to see how you put the GPS puck in the lid too...

I like the color choices you picked for the Phantom shell...

What's the name of your landing gear on the P 1.5...? How heavy are they...?

Thanks... :)

Sorry for the delay in reply, just saw this today -

Re: landing gear - I purchased it from this gent on Ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Wine-Red-FP ... 41803f536c

He ships faster than most overseas folks and it's fairly lightweight but pretty strong/rigid. I installed one for client and liked the quality. Sorry Shapeways, I had a Simensays and with weight of P1.5 it started to "squat".

When I have it apart next time I'll get you pics - Re: puck install - I used a strong double back tape then wrapped excess cable around it. You can use that or a non corrosive RTV silcone. I find that works and doesn't melt or deform DJI plastic parts.

Note for those considering painting - I've been using FasKolor paints. They're waterbase and shoot easily with low pressure air brush or you can brush on. Use any hardware grade enamel primer (preferably white to make colors "pop") then a clear cote. I can easily tell at a distance orientation even in bright sunlight.

Thanks for the help. Did what you guys said, turned the board 180 degrees and moved the Naza forward.
Is the top reversed like the bottom or is the top the same as the 1.1.1 (as far as the gps is concerned). I
put it all back together before I read Dewey's post about the GPS in the dome.

I moved the gimbal back a little farther since it was front heavy, legs are not in view of the camera.

As you can see I got one of Dewey's rear doors.

Weighs 1059 grams without battery.

Thanks for the help. Did what you guys said, turned the board 180 degrees and moved the Naza forward.
Is the top reversed like the bottom or is the top the same as the 1.1.1 (as far as the gps is concerned). I
put it all back together before I read Dewey's post about the GPS in the dome.

Looking great there DJP. You are fine as it is.

I think I confused your last post. The only reason you'd need to rotate your top shell is if you are choosing to fly with the battery being the front (which you aren't).... it sounds odd but I have some (rather odd) guy that went this route on another forum. He was basically being lazy and didn't want to unstick his NAZA from the board so turned it round.... then didn't turn the top shell around to match so everything went wrong despite my desperate attempts to advise him otherwise! :lol:

LED module, P1 NAZA?

I'm taking some deep steadying breaths as I prepare to take up tools on a rainy Sunday afternoon in order to follow your excellent instructions on the 1.5 conversion.

A small nagging doubt: did I read somewhere that the LED module is not compatible with my original P1.0.0 NAZA? Or am I just paranoid? :)

This thread is a first-class example of an internet forum's potential for collaboration and positive interaction. (I grow increasingly tired of the bickering, trolling and ego-flexing on the Facebook Phantom groups.)

A special thank-you to EMCSQUAR for some additional PM handholding!

Re: LED module, P1 NAZA?

GearLoose said:
I'm taking some deep steadying breaths as I prepare to take up tools on a rainy Sunday afternoon in order to follow your excellent instructions on the 1.5 conversion.

A small nagging doubt: did I read somewhere that the LED module is not compatible with my original P1.0.0 NAZA? Or am I just paranoid? :)

This thread is a first-class example of an internet forum's potential for collaboration and positive interaction. (I grow increasingly tired of the bickering, trolling and ego-flexing on the Facebook Phantom groups.)

The LED V2 module is compatible with all later Naza-M V1 controllers. If your NAZA-M has a red LED visible through the inside of the housing, you'll need to mod the 5V wire of the LED V2 to get it to work.

I assume mine has the red LED as the Phantom is over one year old. Can you please point me to the mod for the 5V wire?

thanks

ElGuano said:
The LED V2 module is compatible with all later Naza-M V1 controllers. If your NAZA-M has a red LED visible through the inside of the housing, you'll need to mod the 5V wire of the LED V2 to get it to work.

GearLoose said:

I bought my Phantom 1 in early March of 2013. I assume it's one of the earlier models. The NAZA LED v2 Module fits and works fine...
Hope this helps...

That definitely helps! I believe that my Phantom is a year old this month so we (hopefully) have the same model.

PJA said:
GearLoose said:

I bought my Phantom 1 in early March of 2013. I assume it's one of the earlier models. The NAZA LED v2 Module fits and works fine...
Hope this helps...

GearLoose said:

Good to have you aboard Gearloose! My Phantom will have its birthday this month too (feels sooo much longer!) and as you may have seen mine works with 2 LED's on board (both old and new).

I'm really proud of how this thread has developed... like you say it is a collection of people that highlight how good forums really can be. Of course now at least 3 of us in here are moderators you should be pretty safe from trolling in the 1.5 club! :lol: (and over the next few months hopefully safer from it across the whole of PP).

All the above said it would be good to get the 5v wire mod written down in here for others if El G can spare a moment to do it (not one I'm aware of myself but every day is a school day as they say).

P.S We have more rainy Sundays in the UK than we ever need so feel free to take a few off us!! :roll:

I'm certainly not the only person to applaud the recent changes to PhantomPilots -- having active, trusted moderators puts these forums head-and-shoulders above most others. In addition to adding my vote for more sticky posts, I suggest a Mods Forum, one that would allow sticky posts such as point-by-point instructions for the 1.5 conversion, a list of components needed, battery tests and options, and so forth. In short, a condensation of proven tips and techniques from the 1.5 MegaThread.

If the Ground Station rates its own forum, why not the illustrious P1.5? :)

Dewey, I've actually just watched your 1.5 conversion video for the first time. I should have done that ages ago because it really eased my mind about this project. I've taken my P1 apart many times but had it in mind that the conversion would require serious mods. Your video really is outstanding.

Onward through the fog (and mist, and rain....)

DeweyAXD said:
GearLoose said:

Good to have you aboard Gearloose! My Phantom will have its birthday this month too (feels sooo much longer!) and as you may have seen mine works with 2 LED's on board (both old and new).

I'm really proud of how this thread has developed... like you say it is a collection of people that highlight how good forums really can be. Of course now at least 3 of us in here are moderators you should be pretty safe from trolling in the 1.5 club! :lol: (and over the next few months hopefully safer from it across the whole of PP).

All the above said it would be good to get the 5v wire mod written down in here for others if El G can spare a moment to do it (not one I'm aware of myself but every day is a school day as they say).

P.S We have more rainy Sundays in the UK than we ever need so feel free to take a few off us!! :roll:

GearLoose said:
Dewey, I've actually just watched your 1.5 conversion video for the first time. I should have done that ages ago because it really eased my mind about this project. I've taken my P1 apart many times but had it in mind that the conversion would require serious mods. Your video really is outstanding.

Hello GearLoose... Welcome to the P1.5 Club...

I was thinking about this mod for awhile until I also saw Deweys video... I decided immediately to jump into this challenge, so I ordered the P2 Shell and other accessories for the mod... It took a while for me to build it, but it was worth the time and effort and I feel like I accomplished recreating a personalized Phantom...

This thread has a bunch of really well rounded experts in all areas of the Phantom and related aspects of this hobby. If you flip through all 60 pages, so far, you'll see various stages of build from all of us and some really creative things that everyone has brought to this thread...

Good Luck with your P1.5 build, and post some pics for us to see when it's done...

Repositioning the NAZA?

I have reached the point where all the internal components are loose and ready to move to the P2 shell. I'm puzzled, however, about the step to reverse the board position by 180 degrees and to then reposition the NAZA.

The connections between the front escs and NAZA appear to be too short if I reverse the NAZA's position. Do those need to be lengthened? (I have the NAZA free of its sticky mount.)

Ran into a stripped motor screw but was saved by the Dremel -- I cut a slot across the head of the screw (ugly scar on the bottom shell but it is bin material anyway), then twisted the screw out with a standard screwdriver. We're two hours from the hardware store so I had a few anxious moments....

To clarify: I have the components in the P2 shell. With the battery door closest to me, the battery leads are on the left and the LED connection on the NAZA is toward the front (pointed toward the USB hole in the shell).

Re: Repositioning the NAZA?

GearLoose said:
To clarify: I have the components in the P2 shell. With the battery door closest to me, the battery leads are on the left and the LED connection on the NAZA is toward the front (pointed toward the USB hole in the shell).

Sounds like you'll need to turn the NAZA around 180 deg, if not the board as well (to keep the connections from the board to the NAZA on the correct side). The battery door on the P2 is in the rear, on the P1 it was in the front.

Re: Repositioning the NAZA?

That is my confusion: I thought I was supposed to turn the board 180 and then reposition the NAZA to face the front. I now have the board in position, 180 degrees from where it was on the P1. This points the NAZA to the rear, to the battery door. How do I turn the NAZA 180 without having to extend the ESC connections?

OI Photography said:
Sounds like you'll need to turn the NAZA around 180 deg, if not the board as well (to keep the connections from the board to the NAZA on the correct side). The battery door on the P2 is in the rear, on the P1 it was in the front.

Later... Thanks to an earlier post by Dewey I thought I'd figured it out:

"In terms of motors. Assume you are looking down at the NAZA with it pointing forward... you just need to make sure that M1 = Top Right, M2 Top Left, M3 Bottom left, M4 Bottom right."

I understood this to mean that I need to reconnect the ESCs according to the orientation above. But, the leads from the 2 rear ESCs are too short to reach the front of the NAZA.

Now I'm doubly confused!

GearLoose, here's what mine looks like inside:

CtljaBOl.jpg

You'll note there that the standard connector for the NAZA LED won't really work with the NAZA in that exact position, if you're using that you'll need to move the NAZA a little more towards the front than I have it (I'm using the LED board from a P1 instead)

btw, in that pic, the motor off the bottom right of the pic is M1, the one off the top right is M2, and so on in a CCW direction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak