Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Let me ask you gents what kind of gain settings are you running on yours? I'm currently at 150-150-140-150 / 135-135. There's zero on it currently weight or current draw wise (GoPro 3 hanging off the nose). I'm going to drop those #s a little as I wait on your responses.

EMCSQUAR said:
Let me ask you gents what kind of gain settings are you running on yours? I'm currently at 150-150-140-150 / 135-135. There's zero on it currently weight or current draw wise (GoPro 3 hanging off the nose). I'm going to drop those #s a little as I wait on your responses.

Those are all in the ballpark for 9" props at ~1200g AUW. Your attitude gains are a bit high for smooth filming (if that's your goal) but not seriously so. I would not expect you would need/want to drop your basic pitch/roll at all.

I think we'd all be interested to see the E300's on a 1.5 .... might even have to do a 'Boeing' and call it a "P1.5-300" (yes i clearly need to get out more!) :roll:

@MC I take it you are asking about gains on the 450/550s not the Phantom. Before I turned my 450 intho the Xu450gong I was running much lower gains to get smooth flight @ 1.9kg. Not sure of exact figures but they were maybe in the 90's iirc. It dialed out a lot of oscillation. I'd get 14mins with a 5400 4s with that setup but the more I've done since then the more I've come to appreciate how CG has a MASSIVE affect on the battery life when you have a NAZA (especially for a man like me that uses GPS way too much).

Envious of your weather! It's been raining here this (long) weekend which sucks... I've taken to building, well, toying with building a waterproof quad out of a Pilates mat and some plastic plumbing tubes so far to stave off boredom. Suffice to say 'it' is ugly as f*@k and will likely sink but you never know!

I've gone to the dark side and have an Icon A5 arriving Tuesday along with a FY-41AP Lite.... I'd say that I'll be taking time out from the Phantom but that just won't happen (especially if I fly the Icon like I do a Seawind on Real Flight 7!). Expect to see a video called 'DJI Phantom films A5 bits floating down river' on my Youtube channel before the end of the month :lol:

DeweyAXD said:
I've gone to the dark side and have an Icon A5 arriving Tuesday along with a FY-41AP Lite.... I'd say that I'll be taking time out from the Phantom but that just won't happen (especially if I fly the Icon like I do a Seawind on Real Flight 7!). Expect to see a video called 'DJI Phantom films A5 bits floating down river' on my Youtube channel before the end of the month :lol:

Do NOT send that thing through the same crash-test trials you did with your Phantom!

"But...I don't get why it disintegrated..?? The Phantom just bounced off of it!" :twisted:

Another note when using 3S or even a pair of 3S I'm getting the symptom of auto land. IE: 5 mins of flight and am having to give it more throttle to stay up, at 5:30 mark it's almost 90% and it's a fight - but no warnings not even a red blink & yes they are set 10.6 & 10.3. This is with E300 set up props, escs, NAZA V2 & pmu - nothing more.

OI Photography said:
Do NOT send that thing through the same crash-test trials you did with your Phantom!

"But...I don't get why it disintegrated..?? The Phantom just bounced off of it!" :twisted:

:lol: Way ahead of you O.I - being that it will be a water based test I will use a nice soft $100,000 glass fiber boat instead. I'm sure the owner won't mind :mrgreen:

Well since our corner of the world has been quiet, thought I'd "roust" it a bit. First & foremost - fitted a Zen H3 3D to the P1.5 and it's awesome. 1st test flight in 15-20 mph winds and video looks like it's a calm day. To make this gimbal work on anything but a P2 requires GCU. I tried the upgrade board but gimbal didn't like it. Stayed at a 45 degree down angle and was lethargic. I'm using 2D GCU and it works. I'm sure DJI is planning on a 3D w/GCU pkge but not available yet.

With my 450 issues of 3S vs 4S batteries, the scale I borrowed had some serious issues. I was getting reading of about 1280gs (which I had my doubts but it is large and spread wide. Finally got it on a proper scale and with 4S battery it weighs 2476gs - explains why 5k 3S battery ran 5:30 then literally land itself w/no warning. With 4S she's getting 16mins till first warning.

So that's the news from here - film at eleven... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lquy2ngpVgA

EMCSQUAR said:
Well since our corner of the world has been quiet, thought I'd "roust" it a bit. First & foremost - fitted a Zen H3 3D to the P1.5 and it's awesome. 1st test flight in 15-20 mph winds and video looks like it's a calm day. To make this gimbal work on anything but a P2 requires GCU. I tried the upgrade board but gimbal didn't like it. Stayed at a 45 degree down angle and was lethargic. I'm using 2D GCU and it works.

I was working on my P1.5 today also. I added the Zenmuse Gimbal last week, but can't get the tilt to work on it from a Futaba T8J... I can't for the life of me, figure out what's wrong. I watched every YouTube video I can find to set it up properly, but to no avail...

The Zenmuse works without the tilt feature just fine, but I had a tilt feature working on my GLB gimbal and older version Phantom and liked it. Seems hardly worth it to close up the Phantom and fly it this way... I'm so frustrated, you have no idea. I even tried the GCU to see if that would help, just as EMC did, but it doesn't... Something must be wrong with my Zenmuse...

In the meantime I've been working on my f550 and thought I would have it in the air this week for it's Maiden Voyage, but between the windy weather and a set back with my landing gear, I will only hope to fly it by next weekend...

Sorry for the rant...Just frustrated with these flying machines...

PJA said:
EMCSQUAR said:
Well since our corner of the world has been quiet, thought I'd "roust" it a bit. First & foremost - fitted a Zen H3 3D to the P1.5 and it's awesome. 1st test flight in 15-20 mph winds and video looks like it's a calm day. To make this gimbal work on anything but a P2 requires GCU. I tried the upgrade board but gimbal didn't like it. Stayed at a 45 degree down angle and was lethargic. I'm using 2D GCU and it works.

I was working on my P1.5 today also. I added the Zenmuse Gimbal last week, but can't get the tilt to work on it from a Futaba T8J... I can't for the life of me, figure out what's wrong. I watched every YouTube video I can find to set it up properly, but to no avail...

The Zenmuse works without the tilt feature just fine, but I had a tilt feature working on my GLB gimbal and older version Phantom and liked it. Seems hardly worth it to close up the Phantom and fly it this way... I'm so frustrated, you have no idea. I even tried the GCU to see if that would help, just as EMC did, but it doesn't... Something must be wrong with my Zenmuse...

In the meantime I've been working on my f550 and thought I would have it in the air this week for it's Maiden Voyage, but between the windy weather and a set back with my landing gear, I will only hope to fly it by next weekend...

Sorry for the rant...Just frustrated with these flying machines...

Glad to hear you guys have got your hands on the H3-3D.... still not made it over here to the UK unless you buy it on a new P2 (and I really can't justify doing that anytime soon!).

Odd about the tilt PJA... I mean unless they have done something wacky then you should just be able to set AUX CHANNEL 5 -> CH5 to VR and you are pretty much away. Just make sure you do don't have a switch doing weird things.... if you followed the online vids you can find yourself setting up switches that overide the VR knob (such as setups that allow full tilt at the flick of a switch). You may well have done this already but try flipping all the spare switches up and down then dialing the VR.

If it keeps causing you hassle do a vid of each of your menus and we might be able to spot something.

I've spent much of the day setting up the Icon A5 with the FY41AP Lite Autopilot - nice neat install all done, just actually have to risk flying the thing for the first time now (and more importantly finding a spot where there are no sign posts!!). First fixed wing flight ever.... spare pair of boxer shorts are packed :lol:

DeweyAXD said:
Odd about the tilt PJA... I mean unless they have done something wacky then you should just be able to set AUX CHANNEL 5 -> CH5 to VR and you are pretty much away. Just make sure you do don't have a switch doing weird things.... if you followed the online vids you can find yourself setting up switches that overide the VR knob (such as setups that allow full tilt at the flick of a switch). You may well have done this already but try flipping all the spare switches up and down then dialing the VR.

WOW! I'm glad I vented my frustrations... I'll tell you, Dewey... Once you said something about switches, something clicked in my head...

I connected the P1.5 to the NAZA Assistant and remembered that I didn't calibrate the X1 stick... As soon as I did that, WHAMO! I have's me some Pitch Control now... :mrgreen:

This thread has been GREAT in regard to help and re-building my Phantom to a P1.5... Everyone's been great... Thanks to DeweyAXD, OI Photography, EMCSQUAR, ElGuano, gen3benz and anyone else I forgot... We have a great collection of posters who post anything from 'Do it yourself videos' to 'electronic experts,' to 'battery experts and testers,' and 'carving (the **** out of this thing) experts' too... :shock:

I have surely learned immensely from all of you and I'm trying to bring up the rear in knowledge... It seems like this collection of 'Phantom Engineers' are the backbone to rebuilding this craft any-which way we'd like, and we're not afraid to test, crash, create or spend money on furthering our quest for the PERFECT PHANTOM!

Glad you got it sorted PJA. Thats what I love about places like this, you can go mad fighting a problem and sometimes just a different perspective or a random suggestion can kick in some clarity and help you solve it. :D Bring on the summer for some flying fun I say!

PJA said:
This thread has been GREAT in regard to help and re-building my Phantom to a P1.5... Everyone's been great... Thanks to DeweyAXD, OI Photography, EMCSQUAR, ElGuano, gen3benz and anyone else I forgot... We have a great collection of posters who post anything from 'Do it yourself videos' to 'electronic experts,' to 'battery experts and testers,' and 'carving (the **** out of this thing) experts' too... :shock:

I have surely learned immensely from all of you and I'm trying to bring up the rear in knowledge... It seems like this collection of 'Phantom Engineers' are the backbone to rebuilding this craft any-which way we'd like, and we're not afraid to test, crash, create or spend money on furthering our quest for the PERFECT PHANTOM!

PJA,
Thanks for the kind words but we're all here on the same mission - to better our gear and abilities. DJI supplies us a "means" but we're the end users and we KNOW for a fact DJI watches the forums for feedback and issues. IE: 8 months ago the Phantom 1 was $679 and had a GoPro static mount and it was the hottest thing going. Now look at what we've done - we've got people flying multiple miles, guys building retractable landing gear and guys squeezing every second out of a battery or battery configurations. In a way, yes we're beta testers for DJI - but it's that quest you mentioned that motivates us.

BTW - have you guys heard the "rumblings" there's talk of a 450 size Phantom possibility? IE: Phantom on Steroids...lol So Dewey, what are we going to do to this one? Armour plate? Submersable? Jet Propulsion?

EMCSQUAR said:
PJA said:

PJA,
Thanks for the kind words but we're all here on the same mission - to better our gear and abilities. DJI supplies us a "means" but we're the end users and we KNOW for a fact DJI watches the forums for feedback and issues. IE: 8 months ago the Phantom 1 was $679 and had a GoPro static mount and it was the hottest thing going. Now look at what we've done - we've got people flying multiple miles, guys building retractable landing gear and guys squeezing every second out of a battery or battery configurations. In a way, yes we're beta testers for DJI - but it's that quest you mentioned that motivates us.

BTW - have you guys heard the "rumblings" there's talk of a 450 size Phantom possibility? IE: Phantom on Steroids...lol So Dewey, what are we going to do to this one? Armour plate? Submersable? Jet Propulsion?

Lol I'm well ahead of you there MC on my own mad ideas! ;) You might have seen my ventures with the Immersion RC XuGong 10 (foldable 450)... well I've since designed a bracket that would screw into the existing position where the motors are on the Phantom.

XuMount.jpg

XuGong-1016.jpg

The bracket would allow me to mount the foldable arm section of the XuGong to the Phantom.... net result a 520mm (iirc) framed Phantom that can take 12" blades but folds down to the size of the the Phantom (and hence easily transportable). With another bracket I could even make it an X8 but I think that would probably snap the arms clean off (hell of a way to go though :lol: )

Only problem is so far the CNC costs quoted to make the 4 brackets for testing have been about half the cost of a new Phantom!.... I've not tried hard enough to find someone to build them yet though. Sadly its not exactly going to be an easy/cheap upgrade for others even if I could get the brackets produced as the XuGong kit currently costs about £160 too (And you'd only want it for half the arms! :lol: ). Can you imagine how dangerous I'd be if I had a Chinese mass production machine shop at my beckon call :twisted:

Not heard about the 450 Phantom (apart from the brackets you can use to extend the arms). For me the Phantom is great because, other than being a great stable platfor, it is also transportable. I would LOVE to have a bigger payload ablity but having owned a 2kg 'fat b@stard' of a 450 it was a real arse to carry around and that took the enjoyment factor out of it a little. My Xu450gong covers this.

I'm a bit puzzled why multi makers like DJI havn't looked at using EPO foam for large scale multis. Imagine a F550 with a foam casing that protects it on bumby landings or if you decided that the lake below felt good to sit down on :lol:

P.S going back to an earlier post... 2476g 450! Tell it to take one of these and call me in the morning: http://www.atkins.com

EMCSQUAR said:
PJA said:

My ears perked up like a cat's at this talk. Where did this morsel come from? :)

ElGuano said:
EMCSQUAR said:
PJA said:

My ears perked up like a cat's at this talk. Where did this morsel come from? :)

This came from a source in DJI's LA office. He said they're considering a 450 size shelled version of Phantom. It'll probably look like a flying pillow. This was during a long discussion why my gimbal repair was taking longer than promised and it came up in talk about other gear & possibilties.

BTW- Dewey that's awesome set up - be careful DJI may be ringing you up in near future.

EMCSQUAR said:
ElGuano said:
EMCSQUAR said:

This came from a source in DJI's LA office. He said they're considering a 450 size shelled version of Phantom. It'll probably look like a flying pillow. This was during a long discussion why my gimbal repair was taking longer than promised and it came up in talk about other gear & possibilties.

Velly Velly eeenteresting. I dunno if I'd have much use for that to be honest...one of the reasons I like the Phantom is that it's not a 450. But I'd still be very interested to see what it's like if it ever materializes.

OI Photography said:
Velly Velly eeenteresting. I dunno if I'd have much use for that to be honest...one of the reasons I like the Phantom is that it's not a 450. But I'd still be very interested to see what it's like if it ever materializes.

Agreed, I really like the small size of the 350mm Phantom. The F450 really needs beefier motors (or X8) to offset the greater weight of the frame IMO.

Yeah I'd question if there is a market for a 450 Phantom. I supose it depends a lot on features, price and payload capabilities of course. The Sky Hero is pretty similar (yet astronomically expensive for just a frame) and I'm not sure how popular they've really got (i do like the look of it though :cool: ).

DeweyAXD said:
Yeah I'd question if there is a market for a 450 Phantom. I supose it depends a lot on features, price and payload capabilities of course. The Sky Hero is pretty similar (yet astronomically expensive for just a frame) and I'm not sure how popular they've really got (i do like the look of it though :cool: ).

Yeah, if it was 450mm, ran 12" props and had 30 min flight times with 2lb payload, that'd be a great "prosumer" RTF complement to the Phantom. It'd look honking big, though!

First Look at my (finally finished) Phantom 1.5...

Includes:
- Tiger Motors
- Carbon Fiber 9443 Props
- Wide Landing Gear, w/Foam Skids
- Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal w/GoPro Black
- Fat Shark V2 FPV - w/D3wey TX Box
- Garmin GTU 10
- Flytrex
- Signs of life Accent Stickers
- P2 Battery
- D3wey - Eagle - P1.5 Battery Door
- D3wey Naza LED Mount
- (Cheesy LED Headlamp)

Total Weight = 1396 grams

14044860654_b541937981_c.jpg

14041209862_c3bc1fdf2a_c.jpg

14041210492_a9b2d4bc5c_c.jpg

Fat Shark positioned on the side.
14021275016_3cf5d997e5_c.jpg

Underside of my Phantom 1.5... With Garmin GTU 10 and D3wey Fat Shark TX Holder and Zenmuse Gimbal
14041209932_0ef9ebb618_c.jpg

Flytrex mounted inside battery compartment.
14044804105_f9de41b677.jpg

Rear Pics... With D3wey Eagle Battery Door and Naza LED Mount.
14044862534_bc6cd4644d_c.jpg

14021275146_65ff392603.jpg

14021275066_ff7bcc470b_c.jpg

With P2 Battery. My Garmin is hanging because I didn't secure it on the velcro too well...
14064431073_284b912a61_c.jpg

My concern is the weight of my Phantom. Should I up the gains in the Naza Assistant... and to what degree should I adjust them?
I plan to take it out flying, fully loaded, sometime this week... Here is the 'bare-bones' video of it's Maiden Flight: https://vimeo.com/91767481

Looks kinda shaky, however, I thought it might have been caused by the 16mph winds that day...I also heard the wider landing gear has an affect on steady flight. I have the Simonsays landing gear, also. Was thinking of putting it on, but it weighs almost 50 grams more than the regular landing gear... I guess I'll find out when I put it in the air this week...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72