VIDEO: Crashed My Drone Into An 11th Century Castle!

Reaction score

So I crashed my DJI Phantom 3 drone... in San Marino... into a medieval castle... from the 11th century!

I had been having a lot of issues with my DJI Phantom 3 drone, shaking gimbal shots, DJI GO app disconnecting from the drone and the app not letting me record or take photos. I reinstalled the app and rebooted and calibrated the drone but still had some issues - These are not excuses, at the end of the day I was the pilot.

As we travelled around Italy from the south we headed north to a place that I have always wanted to visit, San Marino, especially with a drone. I awoke about 5am to catch the sunrise and to avoid the crowds.

As my DJI Phantom 3 drone was flying the app disconnecting again (not out of distance), I could see the drone in the sky so I pressed RTH hoping that it might get close to me and reconnect but I misjudged how high it was, it wasn't high enough! As it returned it slammed into the side of one of the fort towers.

It was early so I had to wait for the guard to arrive at the main door to open it and for me to retrieve my drone, with a very apologetic face and many words of "sorry, sorry" I collected my drone.

The drone was actually not too badly damaged, the gimbal yaw arm had snapped (this attaches the drone and the camera with the gimbal), the propellers damaged and a small crack to the plastic body. Everything else was okay. Later I ordered a new set of props and a yaw arm with cable and it's all good - I'm very lucky.

I’m currently touring around Europe in a Motorhome living the vanlife, you can follow me and my artwork at:
www.instagram.com/marcWbass
www.marcWbass.com

► Subscribe to my YouTube Channel

Thanks for sharing.

I really like the idea of "Reversing" the video and having some fun with it.

Glad no one was hurt and no jail time was involved LOL.

Reactions: Marc W Bass

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20