Very Weird P4 Battery Cell Issue

Reaction score
I have recently experienced a very weird battery cell problem and have decided to scrap the battery.

Cell 4 was lower in voltage by about 0.4V compared to the other three cells. This battery was flown down to 10% and the light functioned like normal. Then all of a sudden the battery lights indicated it was fully charged. I put it on the charger to see what it would do, and it would not charge thinking that it was fully charged. I put the cell back into the P4, it worked but it had all four lights on indicating 100% charge. I tried to power off the P4, but no avail. The battery lights turned off, the camera view on the DJI app flashed, but the drone still had power. I had to just yank the battery out of the P4, and hope nothing bad happens (fortunately nothing bad did occur).

Finally the battery lights flashed only one light showing it was low on charge. I fully charge the battery to four solid lights, plug it into the P4, and look at the battery cells. Now only one cell is at 4.04V whereas the other three show values that range between 2.9 and 3.8V. I have no clue what is going on, but at this point, with three bad cells we are not taking the chance and are scrapping this battery.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

I have recently experienced a very weird battery cell problem and have decided to scrap the battery.

Cell 4 was lower in voltage by about 0.4V compared to the other three cells. This battery was flown down to 10% and the light functioned like normal. Then all of a sudden the battery lights indicated it was fully charged. I put it on the charger to see what it would do, and it would not charge thinking that it was fully charged. I put the cell back into the P4, it worked but it had all four lights on indicating 100% charge. I tried to power off the P4, but no avail. The battery lights turned off, the camera view on the DJI app flashed, but the drone still had power. I had to just yank the battery out of the P4, and hope nothing bad happens (fortunately nothing bad did occur).

Finally the battery lights flashed only one light showing it was low on charge. I fully charge the battery to four solid lights, plug it into the P4, and look at the battery cells. Now only one cell is at 4.04V whereas the other three show values that range between 2.9 and 3.8V. I have no clue what is going on, but at this point, with three bad cells we are not taking the chance and are scrapping this battery.

Anyone else experience anything similar?
Drain the battery down to below 4% remaining and then recharge to see if you can recalibrate the smart battery readouts. If that still doesn't help, scrap the battery. Not worth the risk to the aircraft. :cool:

Drain the battery down to below 4% remaining and then recharge to see if you can recalibrate the smart battery readouts. If that still doesn't help, scrap the battery. Not worth the risk to the aircraft. :cool:

Thanks, I'll give that a shot at work tomorrow and see what happens...and exactly why I already pulled it from inventory. Can't be ~275ft AGL above a clients facility and have it smash into their structure.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot at work tomorrow and see what happens...and exactly why I already pulled it from inventory. Can't be ~275ft AGL above a clients facility and have it smash into their structure.
I have one P4 battery that suddenly won't charge at all. No lights at all. P4 batteries are getting old, and some quit earlier than others. DJI only warrantees them for 6 months, and they aren't making them any more. Replaced by the P4P battery. Any P4 batteries still in the distribution channel are likely 2+ years old. Better safe than sorry!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.