Very Disappointing Sighting

I am in favor of having drones carry an IFF (or squawk device) that beams out a drone's identify and additionally GPS position. Then those who feel they are "above the laws/rules" can be identified.

Reactions: BigAl07 and Nesher
If someone breaks an existing law, do we need to jump to making more laws? We already have laws that cover this. Try enforcement of existing laws before making new ones.

Geo
I say this all the time. Simply enforce the laws we already have. We don't need to make society already more of a police state than it already is.

Reactions: mdurbanek
You think that these idiots will purchase any device to add to thier drone so they can be identified! Rofl
Most of that is already on the drone. It will just be sent via internet after the fact, instead of a transponder frequency live. It is mostly a software change. I am not in favor of it. We are quickly becoming a police state already.

Reactions: Nesher
Most of that is already on the drone. It will just be sent via internet after the fact, instead of a transponder frequency live. It is mostly a software change. I am not in favor of it. We are quickly becoming a police state already.
That will only work if your app is synched with dji and you control in the app if it is. I think is how that works. I am just asking cause all vehicles in the U.S. after 2009 can be tracked like this if they want to so you could expect that speeding ticket in the mail.

Reactions: Nesher
That will only work if your app is synched with dji and you control in the app if it is. I think is how that works. I am just asking cause all vehicles in the U.S. after 2009 can be tracked like this if they want to so you could expect that speeding ticket in the mail.

That is a little bit of the overbearing big brother government intrusion to suit me. I know the technology is capable of doing it. I really hope it doesn't come down to that. Government never does anything effectively nor in moderation. I speak from experience. I spent nearly 30 years working for the F.A.A. Sadly, the people who usually have the final say in what happens has no clue about the topic at hand.

The 1828 Webster's contains no reference to ribbons or carriage. While I did not use the word "type", it should be noted that the word no longer implies the use of a manual typewriter.

Let me know when that P4's film reaches the theaters. ;)

Terminology...

The movie industry is funny, in that a motion picture even if it was recorded and edited digitally on occasion may still be delivered for on film. But on the set you'll usually hear "shooting". Which probably seems awkward to some. "After lunch we'll be shooting Tom Cruise in Studio C!". Worse still, given that the term did seem to get borrowed from the firearms world. The term B-roll may not be so bad - at least the disks spin. In the tee-vee biz, we still talk about "pre-tapes" even though there's pretty much no tape anyplace except in archives, with the odd exception of daytime shows being recorded to then aired from optical disk which falls into some kind of tax loophole relating to "tape", in spite of the whole show being edited and stored on RAID. Don't ask. And, the directors still yell out "speed" but good luck finding a clapper. DroneTourismo is not along in talking about "footage". In live news we talk about "killing" segments. Also awkward to some, when the executive producer uses the talent's name for the segment. "Kill Kayna!" Ouch. Are we having fun yet?
You stepped in it, so just own it & move on.

I am in favor of having drones carry an IFF (or squawk device) that beams out a drone's identify and additionally GPS position. Then those who feel they are "above the laws/rules" can be identified.

Yes, unfortunately it’s like dog registration, only works for the law abiding citizens.

So presumably you must have a highly modified computer, phone or tablet to contain platen, ribon, type elements, carriage and other components ordinarily found in a manual typewriter- assuming you typed this useless response. I’m sure professionals in the movie industry might say they are filming with their digital cameras.
Indeed we do.

I was at Pu'uloa Beach Park on Oahu, HI yesterday when four F22's flew by to land at Hickam. As I'm watching them circle into pattern to land. Someone's Phantom 4 flew by and up. I mean way up. Not only that, but they flew directly over Honolulu International Airport filming the jets landing. I watched as the drone flew back to the parking lot and the guy quickly get in a van and leave.

I'll admit I've been skeptical of some of the news stories about pilots spotting drones because I thought, who in their right mind will fly by a busy airport. Apparently, some people don't care. Reported to the FAA. I truly hope they eventually catch the guy.
Get over it. To many complaints about pilots doing the wrong thing.
Only get more bad replys
Must've been a heavily modified P4 to be carrying film! ;)

I don’t understand because here in Aussie. At any airport if your in the city or near an airport in the middle of nowhere your drone will not take off.. all our airports are locked..

I regularly update the database of no-flight zones (FAA supplied, I think). It will not allow the P4P to fly within 5 miles of an airport, within 35 miles of the President, or inside National Parks. The incident on Oahu that JSKCKNIT reported could have been more than 5 miles from an airport, of course.

That’s right same over here.. I thought something was wrong with my drone when it wouldn’t takeoff...

It's a shame to see so many amateurs buying drones and doing stupid things but when we see or hear of these types endangering the lives of airplane pilots (and passengers) then it becomes criminal.

Airplane pilots invest quite a bit of money learning how to fly and the military invests millions training jet fighter pilots (not to mention the tens of millions of the cost of an F22). It's sickening to see a person who has spent virtually zero dollars endanger the lives of airplane pilots.

I, as a former Air Force pilot and now P4P Remote Pilot, salute all you out there who do things the right way. Many of you have invested the time and money to learn and get certified by the FAA under Part 107. There are those too, although not Part 107 certified, have taken the time to learn how to do things the right way.

It's a shame to see so many amateurs buying drones and doing stupid things but when we see or hear of these types endangering the lives of airplane pilots (and passengers) then it becomes criminal.

Airplane pilots invest quite a bit of money learning how to fly and the military invests millions training jet fighter pilots (not to mention the tens of millions of the cost of an F22). It's sickening to see a person who has spent virtually zero dollars endanger the lives of airplane pilots.

I, as a former Air Force pilot and now P4P Remote Pilot, salute all you out there who do things the right way. Many of you have invested the time and money to learn and get certified by the FAA under Part 107. There are those too, although not Part 107 certified, have taken the time to learn how to do things the right way.
And this really is the issue. These current toys are cheap to buy and require close to zero skill to fly. I’m not sure anybody has a solution. Mandatory testing and certification would be a good start

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
On the approach we are always looking for objects like other aircraft in the pattern or birds. Now we have to look for drones too!
Hitting a bird is bad...hitting a drone is worse.
The old saying: you just can't fix stupid applies here.
Where did you get that information ??
What scientific test results are you referencing ??

Still agree, hitting anything in the skies is not good.

Ok folks... drop the "Police State" and similar comments. Leave that crap for another forum not this one. Any more of this or other similar comments and we'll shut this thread down ASAP. We're better than this.

I'm already feeling the effects. I often decline to go now because I am tired of being interrogated every time I take it out. Even positive inquiries are beginning to annoy me, answering the same questions over and over.

For years our hobby/industry has been proud to share our experience and thoughts with others who are inquisitive and interested. It's a shame so many now find this a burden and aren't willing to be a positive ambassador when this is the time we need positivity more than ever.

It seems very counter productive IMHO.

Maybe it's time to fly in an area where no one is around or take a break and try something else that doesn't bring you such annoyance.

Reactions: JWH

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart