Very Disappointing Sighting

Reaction score
I was at Pu'uloa Beach Park on Oahu, HI yesterday when four F22's flew by to land at Hickam. As I'm watching them circle into pattern to land. Someone's Phantom 4 flew by and up. I mean way up. Not only that, but they flew directly over Honolulu International Airport filming the jets landing. I watched as the drone flew back to the parking lot and the guy quickly get in a van and leave.

I'll admit I've been skeptical of some of the news stories about pilots spotting drones because I thought, who in their right mind will fly by a busy airport. Apparently, some people don't care. Reported to the FAA. I truly hope they eventually catch the guy.

Must've been a heavily modified P4 to be carrying film! ;)
So presumably you must have a highly modified computer, phone or tablet to contain platen, ribon, type elements, carriage and other components ordinarily found in a manual typewriter- assuming you typed this useless response. I’m sure professionals in the movie industry might say they are filming with their digital cameras.

I was at Pu'uloa Beach Park on Oahu, HI yesterday when four F22's flew by to land at Hickam. As I'm watching them circle into pattern to land. Someone's Phantom 4 flew by and up. I mean way up. Not only that, but they flew directly over Honolulu International Airport filming the jets landing. I watched as the drone flew back to the parking lot and the guy quickly get in a van and leave.

I'll admit I've been skeptical of some of the news stories about pilots spotting drones because I thought, who in their right mind will fly by a busy airport. Apparently, some people don't care. Reported to the FAA. I truly hope they eventually catch the guy.

Good for you. I agree 1000000000%

You'd think footage like that will surface somewhere someday public

Reactions: BigAl07
You'd think footage like that will surface somewhere someday public

We definitely HOPE so (ready to hit the REPORT button LOL) . . .

What would have been AWESOME is for those aircraft to have somehow spotted it (very hard to see unless you know exactly where/when to look) and had some Military Police (even better if they were dispatched from a Special Ops helo) make contact and have a serious word of prayer with the sUAS operator. That would be AWESOME! :)

So presumably you must have a highly modified computer, phone or tablet to contain platen, ribon, type elements, carriage and other components ordinarily found in a manual typewriter- assuming you typed this useless response. I’m sure professionals in the movie industry might say they are filming with their digital cameras.
The 1828 Webster's contains no reference to ribbons or carriage. While I did not use the word "type", it should be noted that the word no longer implies the use of a manual typewriter.

Let me know when that P4's film reaches the theaters. ;)

Terminology...

The movie industry is funny, in that a motion picture even if it was recorded and edited digitally on occasion may still be delivered for on film. But on the set you'll usually hear "shooting". Which probably seems awkward to some. "After lunch we'll be shooting Tom Cruise in Studio C!". Worse still, given that the term did seem to get borrowed from the firearms world. The term B-roll may not be so bad - at least the disks spin. In the tee-vee biz, we still talk about "pre-tapes" even though there's pretty much no tape anyplace except in archives, with the odd exception of daytime shows being recorded to then aired from optical disk which falls into some kind of tax loophole relating to "tape", in spite of the whole show being edited and stored on RAID. Don't ask. And, the directors still yell out "speed" but good luck finding a clapper. DroneTourismo is not along in talking about "footage". In live news we talk about "killing" segments. Also awkward to some, when the executive producer uses the talent's name for the segment. "Kill Kayna!" Ouch. Are we having fun yet?

I see so much disappointing video on popular Facebook groups and YouTube. New ones every day.
Even the clips that aren't necessarily illegal (or I have no way of knowing for sure) still show reckless and dangerous flying, safety issues for people and vehicles, disturbing wildlife, privacy invasion etc.
This just gets worse every year and shows no sign of stopping.
Eventually it will either kill the hobby, reduce it so much that it won't be fun to do any more or just make it difficult to fly without being hassled.
I enjoy flying but it is getting to the point where it is just easier not to bother.
I probably will not be replacing my P3 when it finally croaks.

I see so much disappointing video on popular Facebook groups and YouTube. New ones every day.
Even the clips that aren't necessarily illegal (or I have no way of knowing for sure) still show reckless and dangerous flying, safety issues for people and vehicles, disturbing wildlife, privacy invasion etc.
Eventually it will either kill the hobby, reduce it so much that it won't be fun to do any more or just make it difficult to fly without being hassled.
I enjoy flying but it is getting to the point where it is just easier not to bother.
Watching the buffoons here following joggers around Kissena Park was a huge turn-off when I got my first exposure to drone flying.

But don't let that get in the way of what makes you happy.

And try not to leap to assumptions. There was a great troll the other day in the DJI FB group. Fella posted a pic from out the window of a passenger jet and cropped off the wing and window frame and in no time at all folks were jumping all over him. Half the pics and vids in there are followed by people questioning the legality. It's tiresome and hardly worth the bother.

Authorities must introduce new laws for flying drones. However, the UK government has already introduced a few laws about on the spot fines about where to flying drones or not.
If someone breaks an existing law, do we need to jump to making more laws? We already have laws that cover this. Try enforcement of existing laws before making new ones.

Geo

No disrespect meant but .......

Bad Andy made a remark that was meant to be funny, as evidenced by the silly face emoticon at the end of his comment. I see no harm in Andy exercising his 1st. Amendment right.

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Bud :>)

Reactions: Bad Andy
I wouldn’t want to be that guy when he’s caught. And he will be if he continues with that. The only possible redemption is if he had a waiver and permission from the appropriate agency and that is as likely as walking out your door and finding a huge pile of gold. Not strictly impossible but not likely, either.

I regularly update the database of no-flight zones (FAA supplied, I think). It will not allow the P4P to fly within 5 miles of an airport, within 35 miles of the President, or inside National Parks. The incident on Oahu that JSKCKNIT reported could have been more than 5 miles from an airport, of course.

Reactions: Daasmangi
I wouldn’t want to be that guy when he’s caught. And he will be if he continues with that. The only possible redemption is if he had a waiver and permission from the appropriate agency and that is as likely as walking out your door and finding a huge pile of gold. Not strictly impossible but not likely, either.
He would not get permission from a Tactical Air Base.

I'm already feeling the effects. I often decline to go now because I am tired of being interrogated every time I take it out. Even positive inquiries are beginning to annoy me, answering the same questions over and over.

Reactions: MTO

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl