Very Disappointing Sighting

Where did you get that information ??
What scientific test results are you referencing ??

Still agree, hitting anything in the skies is not good.

Have you seen what a Phantom4 motor did to a Blackhawk rotor blade? $250K in damage and this is an aircraft designed for some very bad situations around the world.
1213_ntsb_helo_drone_rotor_16x9.jpg

1. That is the damage to the leading edge of one of the UH-60M main rotor blades. Considering it was "just" a Phantom4 it did inflict some significant damage to a major (non redundant) component on the Blackhawk.

Keep in mind this is an aircraft resigned to take on some very nasty scenarios around the world and it was still grounded with an expensive repair/replace procedure.

What do you nay-sayers think would happen to the impeller blades of a passenger aircraft jet engine? What if this part had made it's way into one of the engines (General Electric T700-GE-701D turboshaft engine) in the Blackhawk UH-60M? Luckily the debris guard (not the technical name BTW) kept it out thank goodness or we might know the answer to that question

Reactions: JWH
You need some bright shiny new laws for these people to ignore. That's what we've done in the UK!

What we need are HUGE penalties. As far as I am concerened, guys like that deserve to be charged with felony assault with a deadly weapon (or attempted battery), conspiracy to commit felony assault with a deadly weapon, and felony interference with a flight crew (a federal offense) at a minimum. I’m beyond sick of these idiots.

What we need are HUGE penalties. As far as I am concerened, guys like that deserve to be charged with felony assault with a deadly weapon (or attempted battery), conspiracy to commit felony assault with a deadly weapon, and felony interference with a flight crew (a federal offense) at a minimum. I’m beyond sick of these idiots.

I agree completely. Give TEETH to the dog and after a few are bitten others will take notice and hopefully reconsider and NOT do stunts like this.

Reactions: TheKestrel
I agree completely. Give TEETH to the dog and after a few are bitten others will take notice and hopefully reconsider and NOT do stunts like this.

And, expand the NICs system to perform background and knowledge checks prior to EVERY drone purchase. Enough if enough! This is just crazy!

I was at Pu'uloa Beach Park on Oahu, HI yesterday when four F22's flew by to land at Hickam. As I'm watching them circle into pattern to land. Someone's Phantom 4 flew by and up. I mean way up. Not only that, but they flew directly over Honolulu International Airport filming the jets landing. I watched as the drone flew back to the parking lot and the guy quickly get in a van and leave.

I'll admit I've been skeptical of some of the news stories about pilots spotting drones because I thought, who in their right mind will fly by a busy airport. Apparently, some people don't care. Reported to the FAA. I truly hope they eventually catch the guy.
How could you tell it was a P4 if it was high enough to be over the aircraft?

How could you tell it was a P4 if it was high enough to be over the aircraft?
He flew right by us to land in the parking lot. A P4 flies much faster than others and other characteristics. You're missing the point of the post if that's your take away.

Have you seen what a Phantom4 motor did to a Blackhawk rotor blade? $250K in damage and this is an aircraft designed for some very bad situations around the world.
1213_ntsb_helo_drone_rotor_16x9.jpg

1. That is the damage to the leading edge of one of the UH-60M main rotor blades. Considering it was "just" a Phantom4 it did inflict some significant damage to a major (non redundant) component on the Blackhawk.

Keep in mind this is an aircraft resigned to take on some very nasty scenarios around the world and it was still grounded with an expensive repair/replace procedure.

What do you nay-sayers think would happen to the impeller blades of a passenger aircraft jet engine? What if this part had made it's way into one of the engines (General Electric T700-GE-701D turboshaft engine) in the Blackhawk UH-60M? Luckily the debris guard (not the technical name BTW) kept it out thank goodness or we might know the answer to that question

I am surprised that it could do that kind of damage to a Blackhawk rotor. I just "assumed" they were made tougher, given the places they are sent to. I am curious as to what the rotor is made of. I know that most GA airplanes have aluminum props so they won't take much abuse. I spent some money having mine balanced after getting a few dings from unknown sources, I am guessing small bits gravel on the taxiway or runway. A turbine engine won't take much debris, hence the constant FOD policing in the airport operations areas at the bigger airports.

Drones don't belong anywhere near the airport pattern or approach areas, especially given that people can purchase and fly them that have zero knowledge of flying planes. I don't have a good answer as to how to make that happen, other than strict enforcement and penalties for laws we already have.

Reactions: BigAl07
I am surprised that it could do that kind of damage to a Blackhawk rotor. I just "assumed" they were made tougher, given the places they are sent to. I am curious as to what the rotor is made of. I know that most GA airplanes have aluminum props so they won't take much abuse. I spent some money having mine balanced after getting a few dings from unknown sources, I am guessing small bits gravel on the taxiway or runway. A turbine engine won't take much debris, hence the constant FOD policing in the airport operations areas at the bigger airports.

Drones don't belong anywhere near the airport pattern or approach areas, especially given that people can purchase and fly them that have zero knowledge of flying planes. I don't have a good answer as to how to make that happen, other than strict enforcement and penalties for laws we already have.

I agree 100%

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94