Using Litchi

Reaction score
Hey Guys I started using Litchi and love it, I usually start my first waypoint at the front door of a home at 9 ft. then waypoint 2 is 20 feet back and rises to about 32 fee to give a nice shot of the home as the drone backs up front the front door to a higher elevation. I want to go to a second waypoint (a park) and then a third waypoint (the view of a shopping center). But not sure how to get smooth turns as I identify the house as POI1 the park as POI2 and the shopping center POI3. Often the drone abruptly turns too fast. I have been setting waypoints 1 and 2 to focus on POI1, then waypoint 3 to focus on POI2 and waypoint 4 to focus on POI3. I set the direction to nearest POI as well as the gimbel. PS I have the most recent version of Litchi just bought it last week.

Is there a better way?

Thanks for your input.

Reactions: chrismatthewssr
Yes there is a better way.

I use Litchi exclusively and have been for about 1-1/2 years now. It's an excellent tool and the way point missions are super fun, but thats it, they are fun. Your never going to get a smooth transition with this app. It's just not there and I'm not sure it will ever be.

In the real world of filming video, the operator flys the craft, and some won't even use GPS because they feel that even that will take away from the skill involved. I'm not that hardcore and feel for the most part, using GPS to capture video is fine. Now if you were filming on a movie set things might be different.

The best way to get smooth transitions is to practice, practice, practice. At the same time start experimenting with the settings of your craft. Try turning the expo up, turn the speed of the gimbal way down, and experiment with EP values. Basically what your doing is slowing the craft down in the center portions of the stick throw, which makes for an overall smoother flight. Couple this with your improving flight skills and your on your way!

Reactions: BigAl07
I completely agree with @Helihover

Automated flight makes it easy for you but not buttery smooth. This is what separates the men from the boys. It takes time and lots of hours to teach your fingers fine control to not just fly but also be cinematic. They are not one and the same.

It's more difficult to get smooth video from a camera that is fixed pointing forward of the aircraft and not free floating in terms of yaw. We get out best (smoothest) video using the Inspire with dual operators. I fly the aircraft (still trying to be smooth) and my wife "flies" the camera. This way all I do it maintain course/heading with no worry about the camera and she just "Flies" the camera with no worries about flying. 2x as many people but probably 5x better finished product.

Thanks Pharm, I was going to do that. I watched a video where the pilot used the pencil to draw his path and then adjusted the waypoints around the POI and with many many waypoints it was very smooth.Thanks for the Link!

Autopilot will give you much smoother and controllable takes than litchi. I find both boring however, the challenge of developing your skills on the sticks is what keeps me interested in this hobby. Each to their own.

I do know if I was paying a UAV operator and they wanted to do it all in waypoints I would laugh them off the job. You need to be able to fly to client instructions and be competent enough to get the take they are after (they will likely change their mind as you shoot).

Reactions: Helihover
Thanks WTB;

Is Auto Pilot an app? Is it easy to use? I have normally just taken photos for my clients and I am now getting into video - I suspect my skills will increase to the point where I will do this with the sticks, but I'm not there yet, but the customer requests are. If auto pilot is an App who is the developer? That name sounds generic and there could be scores of apps with that name. Thank you.

Thanks WTB;

Is Auto Pilot an app? Is it easy to use? I have normally just taken photos for my clients and I am now getting into video - I suspect my skills will increase to the point where I will do this with the sticks, but I'm not there yet, but the customer requests are. If auto pilot is an App who is the developer? That name sounds generic and there could be scores of apps with that name. Thank you.
It’s called autopilot, now owned by hangar.

I use both autopilot and litchi. I like autopilot’s follow mode that adjusts for the altitude of the target automatically and the airspace feature is awesome.

Thank you I will check it out! I think Litchi will gradually ascend and descend between waypoints with different elevations as well (some times).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl