Upgrading P4A+ to MA2

Reaction score
I think its time for me to upgrade my Phantom 4 Advanced+. With Mavics getting cheaper and smaller it's only a matter of time before a phantoms trade in value is too low. Plus, the phantom is just too big and loud now, I feel like I'm flying a jet compared to a Mavic. I'm hoping to upgrade to a Mavic air 2. I still can't decide if this would even be an upgrade or more of a "lateral movement", since the camera wouldn't be as good but portability would drastically improve. Too bad the Mavic 2 Pro wasn't cheaper haha. Has anyone done this and have any feedback on the air 2?

Plenty of good used m2 pro out there for just a bit more money.
Remember that the air will use a different app than what you are accustomed to.
Research before you lay out the$$$$$.

I just upgraded from a Phantom 3 Advanced to a Mavic Air 2. Obviously, I am considerably impressed. I had expected the MA2 4K camera to be noticeably better than the 2.7K I was accustomed to and I wasn't disappointed. I expected it to be easier to travel with and that was a no brainer also. But what really blew me away and impressed me the most was signal strength and connection speed. My new MA2 is ready to launch from the moment I turn it on in about 20 seconds. The older P3 used to take a couple minutes just to connect to the controller sometimes and then I had a variety of "messages" to process through. The MA2 is just so simple to fly and is so reliable (signal wise) I have none of the anxiety that I used to with the P3A. This is my most recent video announcing our new "family member" :)

Introducing Bebop

I'm in similar situation, where I'm ready to make the step from Phantom to Mavic. I live on my sailboat and the P4P+ is simply becoming too difficult to store safely. I'm going to put up a listing in the Classifieds section of the forum in a little bit.

For a variety of reasons, all of which have to do with living on a boat and being hyper aware of available resources from storage space to the ability to recharge batteries, I'm seriously considering the DJI Mini 2.

We'll see. In the interim, if anyone is interested in a very good condition P4P+ (purchased end of 2017) with a lot of accssories, keep an eye open on the Classifieds section.

I just upgraded from a Phantom 3 Advanced to a Mavic Air 2. Obviously, I am considerably impressed. I had expected the MA2 4K camera to be noticeably better than the 2.7K I was accustomed to and I wasn't disappointed. I expected it to be easier to travel with and that was a no brainer also. But what really blew me away and impressed me the most was signal strength and connection speed. My new MA2 is ready to launch from the moment I turn it on in about 20 seconds. The older P3 used to take a couple minutes just to connect to the controller sometimes and then I had a variety of "messages" to process through. The MA2 is just so simple to fly and is so reliable (signal wise) I have none of the anxiety that I used to with the P3A. This is my most recent video announcing our new "family member" :)

Introducing Bebop
Nice that you are so satisfied with your new MA2. Only I'm a bit surprized that your P3A was so slow at start up. Yes, MA is quick in that but even P3A which I used to fly with is not soo.. slow. A bit slower yes.
As you said MA2 is really a big advantage in terms of transportability. But as far as the picture quality, the speed at start up, the speed in the air and the distance in VLOS range can not compare to P4P+ which I'm using now although I have MA too. At P3A things are less good but still acceptable. Generally of course Phantoms can't be compared in transportability to MA2 and if this was your prime goal, you made absolutely the right thing!
The attached video is very nice too.

I'm in similar situation, where I'm ready to make the step from Phantom to Mavic. I live on my sailboat and the P4P+ is simply becoming too difficult to store safely. I'm going to put up a listing in the Classifieds section of the forum in a little bit.

For a variety of reasons, all of which have to do with living on a boat and being hyper aware of available resources from storage space to the ability to recharge batteries, I'm seriously considering the DJI Mini 2.

We'll see. In the interim, if anyone is interested in a very good condition P4P+ (purchased end of 2017) with a lot of accssories, keep an eye open on the Classifieds section.
If you are talking about using the drone on a boat, then the DJI Mini may not be the right thing as it is very sensitive to the wind which you have a lot on the boat.

If you are talking about using the drone on a boat, then the DJI Mini may not be the right thing as it is very sensitive to the wind which you have a lot on the boat.
Agreed, and I wouldn't plan on flying it in anything beyond light conditions - 5-10 knots or less. However, the pros for the Mini outweigh its issues with winds - such as the fact batteries can recharge via USB - which means the 12vDC system can be used, without involving the inverter - and that means a sizeable power consumption savings in the daily power budget. Also, the weight of the drone is under the 250g standard which will mean less hassles moving around from country to country (when that's a possibility again), and the space it occupies; well, that goes without saying - it can live in the same bag as the rest of camera/video gear.

Clealry, the Mini is a step back from the P4P+, and if I lived ashore, I probably wouldn't even be doing this. But, sailboat life, and a life cruising under sail - it's just another compromise.

Last edited:
Nice that you are so satisfied with your new MA2. Only I'm a bit surprized that your P3A was so slow at start up. Yes, MA is quick in that but even P3A which I used to fly with is not soo.. slow. A bit slower yes.
As you said MA2 is really a big advantage in terms of transportability. But as far as the picture quality, the speed at start up, the speed in the air and the distance in VLOS range can not compare to P4P+ which I'm using now although I have MA too. At P3A things are less good but still acceptable. Generally of course Phantoms can't be compared in transportability to MA2 and if this was your prime goal, you made absolutely the right thing!
The attached video is very nice too.
Relative to range, I have seen two YouTube videos documenting the MA2 both traveling just over 5 miles without any loss of signal or connection. I have never really flown a P4P so not sure how that compares.

Also no obstacle avoidance on the Mini

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair